[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden II

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Author

Re: Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden II

Post by Author »

Suikoden II had a wonderful plot but times like this I wish the Tenkai could talk, at least Tir if you load the data.

The game was too easy in my opinion but the graphics was very good and smooth. The music is quite nice and most characters are well-developed. The sidequests are bonus and new features that live in Suikoden up to today have began in Suikoden 2.

The Gameplay was just too easy but the war battles were enjoyable anyway. The storyline is its best point. It has an extended storyline from Luca Blight to Jowy Blight.

Because of its plot, Suikoden II even had SuikoGaiden. Jowy has to be really commended and if you were in Riou's shoes and with what happened to Nanami, you'd be devastated. Replay is also excellent. You can't get sick of it...unless you do it everyday.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Author wrote:Suikoden II had a wonderful plot but times like this I wish the Tenkai could talk, at least Tir if you load the data.

The game was too easy in my opinion but the graphics was very good and smooth. The music is quite nice and most characters are well-developed. The sidequests are bonus and new features that live in Suikoden up to today have began in Suikoden 2.

The Gameplay was just too easy but the war battles were enjoyable anyway. The storyline is its best point. It has an extended storyline from Luca Blight to Jowy Blight.

Because of its plot, Suikoden II even had SuikoGaiden. Jowy has to be really commended and if you were in Riou's shoes and with what happened to Nanami, you'd be devastated. Replay is also excellent. You can't get sick of it...unless you do it everyday.
Well, not very easy without guides for me!! hardest part was that beast Luca.

So damn right about not getting used to it!! I was like, repeating it all over again years back. It's like.. the best game ever!
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

You only have to do a very few tiny things to make Luca easy. The only thing difficult in any Suikoden is character rcruitment, obviously. With the exception of Suikoden 3.<_< That game was hard...
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
atoz

Post by atoz »

I thing the hardest part in this game is recruitment. When i first played this game, i was living in a small town, so it's rather difficult to have a guide. So i end up playing 5 or 6 times and still can't get all the SoD (btw, i was 13 or 14 when i played it, and back then i don't really like the puzzle so much).
But aside the recruitment, i think Suikoden II is by far the best Suikoden series. And, IMO, even the best damn RPG i ever played.
Everything you need from an RPG storyline is there. Friendship, family, betrayal, love, hate, pain, war epic.
What else do you need?
Lazlo 3n lculcl3s

Post by Lazlo 3n lculcl3s »

atoz wrote:What else do you need?
Well, Suikoden II itself is already a great game. As you said in your post, it got pain, friendship, betrayal, etc. However, things that I hope to see in the series are cuztomization and creativity.

You know the game developer Level 5? They produced some well-known games with great cuztomization like alchemy, building villages, etc.

The series has cooking, races, fishing, treasure hunt, bath and other mini-games but they still need some improvement. It would be great great if Konami can add in more creative elements in future games.
ChaosMan

Post by ChaosMan »

The Best SUIKODEN Series Ever, enough said
- I'm A Big Fan Of Suikoden -
Pesmerga VS. Yuber

Post by Pesmerga VS. Yuber »

I so want to play this game again, as well as S1, but I just can't get myself to open the emulator... I feel so.... dunno
Power?
Am I looking for Power?
Ever since...The first day I saw you...
I somehow knew...That we would be friends.
I was never lonely...Because you were there.
We chose...Life and death together.
I believed in you...Always...
Masamune.

Post by Masamune. »

ChaosMan wrote:The Best SUIKODEN Series Ever, enough said
Suikoden IS the series...
reapz

Post by reapz »

Pesmerga VS. Yuber wrote:I so want to play this game again, as well as S1, but I just can't get myself to open the emulator... I feel so.... dunno
i kno EXACTLY how u mean lol
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

reapz wrote:
Pesmerga VS. Yuber wrote:I so want to play this game again, as well as S1, but I just can't get myself to open the emulator... I feel so.... dunno
i know EXACTLY how u mean lol
Agreed! I, too, wanna finish SI but yeah, it feels so... dunno. XD

Suikoden II, feels better than SI cause when I play it on PS1, I finish it but the first time I played SI, looked what happened. There really is a mystery behind emulators. lol!
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
kte03

Re: [Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden II

Post by kte03 »

man, SUII is by-far my favorite RPG of all time. I remember coming home from school when I was like... 8? I saw my brother playing and I already wanted to play it ._.

But yeah, I had to leave the Philippines and moved to Canada and for about 7 years, I forgot about the game. Then, I saw vids on YouTube about it and I just said to myself "GOT TO HAVE IT O_O".

So, finding eBay's prices for SUII too... pricey, I decided to play it on a PS1 Emu. But still, I just couldn't really go through playing it. I dloaded SUI to fill me in for the while, which I must say was an EPIC game, next to SUII of course :] But yeah, so I just had to buy it on eBay >_>

Suikoden II has such an awesome story. The characters just make you laugh, and the cheesy scenes are one of the many rare ones I'd stand to see. Many scenes really get to me at times, I won't mention any 'cause I wouldn't want to spoil the fans. But yeah, the numerous sidequests that get you characters, the gameplay, and the main story with a big twist to it? I know for sure I'm gonna play it over and over again :]
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

kte03 wrote:
But yeah, I had to leave the Philippines and moved to Canada and for about 7 years, I forgot about the game. Then, I saw vids on YouTube about it and I just said to myself "GOT TO HAVE IT O_O".
]
woah. your from the philippines? ^_^ i am too! haha...its nice to know a fellow filipino (you are filipino, right? @_@) liking suikoden as much as i do...hehe...

back on topic, i also remember when i first was introduced to the wonderful world of suikoden...back then, my dad used to own a ps1 playing shop (its a shop where you can rent and play a playstation of course...this was sort of the trend way back when ps1 was still popular.), and he came home from manila (capital of the philippines, where you can buy tons of games) during the night time when i was asleep already. that morning, i woke up and i was hellova lot excited to play....i was still 9 years old then, and my eyes sparkled as i tried out a few games with my brother...then, i noticed the cover of suiko2, with all those fancy characters and their cool poses! haha! i was all "whats this? lets play it!"...then my brother was went all "its an RPG. i tried it awhile ago. its boring. youre too young to like it"...but i still pestered my way and tried it....it was love at first sight, to say the least. ^_^

the thing about this game is that it sort of has a way to draw you in....its weird, really. it evokes this sentimental emotion that seems to linger on every time you play it. you get attached to this game in an emotional plane. i havent played suiko games in a long time since ive been busy (im leaving for japan in a few months...ill be an exchange student there. ^_^ im hoping to find suikogaiden) but whenever i think back, i always seem to smile and reminisce...add to that, suiko has a list of characters who seem to be like a group of friends youve known for the longest time....108 friends for that matter. the graphics are mindblowing (i abhor people who say that it sucks cuz of the 2d graphics)...the plot is epic...the minigames are fun....the land of suikoden is a land ive been to, and id like to go there again. ^_^

three cheers for us, fellow suikoden fans!
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
kte03

Post by kte03 »

Night Shadow wrote:
kte03 wrote:
]
woah. your from the philippines? ^_^ i am too! haha...its nice to know a fellow filipino (you are filipino, right? @_@) liking suikoden as much as i do...hehe...
lol yeahp! I've been seeing many Filipinos around these forums but never actually approached / PM'd one xD Teehee nice to meetcha!

On topic : I just beat the game today WITHOUT a walkthrough (first playthrough) and I must say, I LOVE THE GAME!!!
MechMedic

Post by MechMedic »

Hey all, I've been a long time lurker around here and finally decided to register and figured my first post should be a review of my favorite game of the series, and in many ways my favorite game of all time.

I'm about to embark on another journey through I and II, and everytime I do I get a little giddy with nostalgia from these games. IMO the Sprite graphics of this game have become more charming with age. In an age of gaming where every last detail is rendered in high resolution, sometimes its nice see the old fashioned 2D Sprites of yesteryear.

The music is some of the best I've ever heard in a game. Sometimes I find myself slowly walking through the Winger section of 2 River just to enjoy that enchanting melody for a few minutes. From the opening theme music, to the sepia cut scenes to the triumphant closing credits, its an all around impressive score.

I think what really seperates this game from the first one is the blurred line between good and evil. While there is a good amount of betrayel, and sympathetic causes from the Scarlet Moon Empire in part I, there is something gripping about the tangled web of part II. While Luca Blight is one of the purest representations of evil in any game I've ever played, many other characters are just Patriots on the other side of the line. I really was very sympathetic with characters like Culgan and Seed who just wanted to fight for the glory of Highland.

One of the best parts, though I'm sure some would argue, is the many reoccuring characters from part I. The first time I played it and found old favorites like Flik, Viktor, Tai Ho and Clive were back I got a big smile. Even a trip to old Gregminster is like a walk down memory lane and just makes me want to play part I again. The game also really draws you into many characters story lines and not just the main one, which makes you really love all of them. The battle with Luca Blight is also one of the best excuses to use characters in combat you normally wouldn't bother with.

A host of mini games really rounds things out, particularly the cooking game. I wish it was longer to be honest, kudos to them for making me care so much about a conflict amongst cooks over a recipe. Its just another example of how engrossing this game really is.

I think what really seperated this game for me from other games of the era was the Castle system and the army battles. Having an awesome little HQ to wander around is something I really loved about the Suikodens, and part II's Castle just seemed to be the richest and most full of life. I enjoy just walking around the castle and seeing all the hustle and bustle.

The Army battles also end up taking up a lot of memory card slots for me. I love trying the different battles with a variety of different combat formations and SoD combos. Its a really fun system, and one that I wish they had maybe expanded on a little to really make it a bigger part of the game.

All in all, this is easily one of my favorite games of all time. The super fun game play elements are matched perfectly with a host of loveable characters and gripping story line. I'd personally love to see a return to this time frame in Suikoden story somehow, perhaps a story taking place in the time immediately following the Scarlet Moon War and right before the Unicorn Brigade Massacre. Wishful thinking on my part. But until then I can always return to my old favorites for a couple of fun filled nostalgic weeks now and then.
jin022

Post by jin022 »

best suikoden with many possible endings i think 6 ( yeah 6 endings ( the picture at the end)& not just 3 ) and i think i seen & got all of the endings, cause i played this atleast over 40+ times.

i was only disappointed when the game has no more challenge the boss and monsters are easy when you had beaten the game the first time around.