[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden II

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
sabaku_no_gaara

Post by sabaku_no_gaara »

Replay: Oh it was amazing! Yesterday I finished my 9th game and i still want to play it again later! Man! how do i stop it?!
Anyways, only the music didnt do well in the game, only the music when you finally kill neclord was good.
Cutscenes: Not so 21st century-ish
Gameplay: if i rate it 1-10 1 lowest 10 highest, -10-!
ALONE..... i love myself.....
cyra_flome

Post by cyra_flome »

Suikoden II is AMAZING!! I love the storyline, there are so many surpising parts (Jowy's betrayal, The death of Nanami, and when everyone thought that Shu was dead because of the fire he creates to ambush Leon).

The music? I think it's incredible!!

Oh!! and my most favorite are the mini games!! The rock climbing, the cooking mini games, whack a mole... They're so fun to play!!

The graphics, I also like it! Well..of course it's not as good as Final Fantasy series or many other games with great graphics, but it is quite detail, and soft. :D
I believe in you..always
Because we shared so much..
-Suikoden2Opening-
Persmerga

Post by Persmerga »

Yeah i know what your saying many people sometimes overlooks Suikoden II because it was released around the same times as FF's etc and people don't realise just what a quality game it is.

The graphics for what they are are pretty detailed and the music is unbelievably catchy but i thinnk if people begin to play the game the storyline grabs them and it really coonects with the user and it's huge + and it keeps them playing!
Some hooligan keeps disconnecting the alarm. I told Security to look into it. But no, no, they'd rather catch the guy who's stealing organs from the transplant ward!!
chocorobokun

Post by chocorobokun »

i think SuikodenII is THE BEST EVER LEGENDARY RPG GAME
1.great storyline
2.the music
3.lots of great minigame(especialy the cooking contest)
4.etc
Persmerga

Post by Persmerga »

ETC being? Expand a little man say what you think about the characters, sub plot, ending, intro and the games graphics?

I would say it's easily my favourite RPG ever but im sure like alot of people i can't sum up every reason it's so great it just has a way of reaching appealing to people and it's very addictive.
Some hooligan keeps disconnecting the alarm. I told Security to look into it. But no, no, they'd rather catch the guy who's stealing organs from the transplant ward!!
Rudy99

Re: Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden II

Post by Rudy99 »

I thought about it and told myself never to review the game I like coz every time I do that I play the game again and take a closer look at the things I said I like and I start to not like them... But not with this game. This game is My 1st in line RPG to play when you at least have a little interest in RPG's.

Ok here I go with the review:

It was my first game this kind(I believe it's called jRPG) I just bought a magazine about games and there was a review of the game. Dam... It was love at first sight.
I know most of you say that the graphic aspect of the game is a bit lame but I think it's a games soul( Many games changed it and lost their climate like GTA) The graphic was nice and gave the game a bit of mystery fog (that is only my opinion).
Music is not my aspect to tell about coz Im from Poland and the orchestra was from poland.The fact that it was the first time Poland and Japan got together to make a game made me very happy.Plus, I think the music is grate!!!
Storyline is great! The twists and turns in it are very interesting and they keep the player screaming for more. My favorite is the... Thats right. The hole thing is a masterpiece.
I always will be greatefull to konami for the series because It opened my eyes for jRPG's and I will never be able to describe my thanks for S2 coz it showed me how does a masterpiece look like.
Peace
Pokerface

Post by Pokerface »

Suikoden 2 was simply amazing! Great storyline, well known characters from Suikoden 1 in it. The only thing I dislike is the fact that the game is too short.

Pokerface
Mess with the best, die like the rest!
http://www.suikoden3.de
Red rune

Post by Red rune »

Love this game, 10/10

The music, great
The graphics, 2d but beautifuly detailed
Epic plot twists, such as Jowy's betrayel
and the gameplay is my favourite,

overall i rate it to be 100/10! Its classics like suikoden II that make old RPGs worthy of remebering.
I'm lvl 99! plus my lvl68 party members
Pesmerga VS. Yuber

Post by Pesmerga VS. Yuber »

There is a lot of mystery going on, and I love it. I just can't believe that I'm playing Suikoden II in the present. It's just brilliant. Love the characters, the plotline, the everything. :)

But then again, nowadays, I just can't force myself to play it all over again. I know it all, every single piece of that game. I must have played it for a thousand times. But today I got the chills thinking about playing it. I can't wait.
Power?
Am I looking for Power?
Ever since...The first day I saw you...
I somehow knew...That we would be friends.
I was never lonely...Because you were there.
We chose...Life and death together.
I believed in you...Always...
genso19

Post by genso19 »

Suikoden rox, nuff said

1. Plot - the secret weapon of Suikoden 2, the story is good, not just revolves on one character but to many, innumerable ones, and the good thing there is, you get the chance to choose how the story evolves and what will happen next, lots of twists and turns, new aspects that definitely is absent from many RPG games.

2. Gameplay - good, many side-quests and mini-games absorb you from the main motive, which makes it more exciting. The random battles are smooth-flowing and leveling up is not necessary, another aspect which doesn't make the game boring.

3. Graphics - the always overrated aspect of the game, well for me it's not. The suiko graphics is good or great. I'm a fan of sprites, and although it's not 3D it's still good because of its smoothness and detailed appearance. I give it 5 thumbs up because it looks pleasant to my eyes

4. Sound - best RPG when it comes to the music. All Hail Miki Higashino, good music (favorite of mine) I would have bought the OST but I couldn't find one here.

5. Replayability - yet, another best, with many secrets, untold plots and side quests, recruitable characters and lots of choices to choose from, you will actually play it again. Although you have played it many times, it still beholds surprises for the gamers.

well ,tnx for reading that, again, suikoden 2 rox
"Hey, listen up! These Godwin traitors got no respect for justice. And sure, sometimes justice is just a little word. But sometimes justice is three feet of sharp steel smashing in your face. Now, let's go get 'em!"
thepeaguy

Post by thepeaguy »

Is it just me, or do any of you fellow Suikoden II fans find the overabundance of punctuation marks (ellipsis, exclamation, etc) and constant grammar mistakes appalling?

I mean, come on: the translator didn't know the correct usage of whose and who's from the items depository mode.

"I am Tetso!!!!! Do you like baths?!!!!!!!!!!!! Since you like baths, I will now join your army!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"...............................................................................Riou"
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

genso19 wrote:Suikoden rox, nuff said

1. Plot - the secret weapon of Suikoden 2, the story is good, not just revolves on one character but to many, innumerable ones, and the good thing there is, you get the chance to choose how the story evolves and what will happen next, lots of twists and turns, new aspects that definitely is absent from many RPG games.

2. Gameplay - good, many side-quests and mini-games absorb you from the main motive, which makes it more exciting. The random battles are smooth-flowing and leveling up is not necessary, another aspect which doesn't make the game boring.

3. Graphics - the always overrated aspect of the game, well for me it's not. The suiko graphics is good or great. I'm a fan of sprites, and although it's not 3D it's still good because of its smoothness and detailed appearance. I give it 5 thumbs up because it looks pleasant to my eyes

4. Sound - best RPG when it comes to the music. All Hail Miki Higashino, good music (favorite of mine) I would have bought the OST but I couldn't find one here.

5. Replayability - yet, another best, with many secrets, untold plots and side quests, recruitable characters and lots of choices to choose from, you will actually play it again. Although you have played it many times, it still beholds surprises for the gamers.

well ,tnx for reading that, again, suikoden 2 rox
Word.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

**NOTE: My review contains spoilers. In case you want to avoid that stuff.**

I got Suikoden II for Christmas in 1999. Because of Suikoden II, I joined GameFAQs and posted on the Suikoden II board. I joined the Castle of Kain, and I later was part of the original Suikosource group. Because of the game, I met a wonderful group of people.

As for the actual game itself, the graphics still stand up. I'm of the opinion that sprite graphics age better than polygons.

The story is the strong point, though. Luca, in my opinion, is one of the most evil villains in the history of RPGs. It was a bit of a shock when he was killed halfway through the game. I remember playing for the first time and thinking, "Luca's dead, now what?" I think that event, in the middle of the game, is a nice breather. The story builds, then you reach a climax, then things calm down. But after that, things only heat up.

I was surprised when Jowy turned. But, I really have to say that Jowy is probably my favorite villain. Yes, I love Luca, but I think Jowy is better simply because he's so unique. I think it's way overdone to have an evil villain looking for ultimate domination, or planetary destruction, or some other generic desire. The way the game presents Jowy is that he wants the same thing the hero wants, but he believes in his way of doing it over his friend's. The fact that he still cares for the hero, refuses to kill him, and even begs him to leave, shows that he's emotionally torn. Not many villains show that kind of emotion. It's so rare in RPGs to see a villain that not only shows genuine emotion, but also isn't the generic fodder we typically get.

That makes the two halves of the game polar opposites. The first half is a desperate battle against pure evil, while the second half is an emotional struggle against your best friend. After a very heated battle, things slow down and it becomes more about an emotional struggle than a physical one. It's quite a change to the typical RPG formula, and I think that's what makes it stand out.

The actual gameplay is standard RPG fare. Nothing too spectacular. But, I play games for the story above everything else. And that's why I love Suikoden II.
True Griever

Post by True Griever »

I've played many RPG's, but I love Suikoden 2.

Graphics:6
Why..? It's a chosen style, It's not good, it isn't bad and I like it.
Story:9
And yes I have played the ff series, but this is more of an epic story and I like those more:P.
Gameplay:8
The game is very versatile with 3 different, well worked out battle sytems.
Replay Value:10
There is no game I started and finished more than this one.
Difficulty:7
Only on first playthrough.
Overall:9
I enjoyed this game very much.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I love it.

It's a wonderful game, despite the translation errors and such.

Replay value is max. Before I even get near the end I think about replaying it again.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore