[Discussion] Member Recommended Parties with Reasoning

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
ninjaluc79

Re: [Discussion] Member Recommended Parties with Reasoning

Post by ninjaluc79 »

The best adjustments for PvP damage scaling for a theoritical Suikoden PvP game would be to disable affinites or tone down the base damage of rune spells.

If there's anyone here interested in creating a PvP game a la Smogon and Pokemon Showdown featuring all the Suikoden characters in the Murayama Universe, let's take this discussion somewhere else.

For now it's possible to create one for Suikoden 1 and 2 as they basically have the same battle and stat engine, the only difference being more rune slots and insane twinking potential for Suikoden 2. Combining these with the later Suikodens however would be pretty difficult, because they have skill systems not yet introduced in the first two games and SV has a drastically different stat system (999 standard instead of the 255 standard) than the earlier games, unless somehow we can convert Suikoden 1-4 stats to SV stats and vice-versa.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
ninjaluc79

Re: [Discussion] Member Recommended Parties with Reasoning

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Here is a team I experimented with just a while ago:

Runic Maidens

Basically an Ultimate Magic Party Lite, this party is composed of Riou and all female characters with the highest MAG stats AND affinities to each element in the game.

There are no female characters with an A affinity to Resurrection, so the next best Resurrection mage would have to be Tengaar (B affinity, 2 rune slots, 06 MAG = 160 @ level 60). Problem is, Tengaar doesn't have an A affinity in any element, so the next best Resurrection mages with an A affinity in one other element would be Nina (A in Fire, 2 rune slots, 05 MAG = 145 @ level 60) and Yoshino (A in Water, B in everything else, 2 rune slots, 04 MAG = 125 @ level 60).

---------------------
Sierra - 06 MAG = 160 @ lv 60, 2 rune slots, A in Darkness and Lightning
Riou - 05 MAG = 145 @ lv 60, 2 rune slots, B in Resurrection, C in everything else
Nina - 05 MAG = 145 @ lv 60, A in Fire, B in Earth and Resurrection
Yoshino - 04 MAG = 145 @ lv 60, A in Water, B in everything else
Tomo - 03 MAG = 105 @ lv 60, A in Earth, B in Fire, Resurrection, and Wind
Meg - 03 MAG = 105 @ lv 60, A in Wind and Lightning
---------------------

The rune setup I had for this party looks like this:

Sierra - Darkness / Thunder / permanent Thunder rune on weapon
Riou - Flowing / Bright Shield / Resurrection / Magic Drain on weapon
Nina - Blue Gate / Rage / Wind on weapon (+5% magic repel)
Yoshino - Flowing / Resurrection / Wind on weapon
Tomo - Mother Earth / Rage / Wind on weapon
Meg - Cyclone* / Trick / Wind on weapon

Armors - Wind Hat, Master Robe OR Master Garb, Water Amulet, Thunder Amulet, Fire Emblem OR Guard Ring OR Usable Items

* Note that there is only one Cyclone rune in vanilla S2. Enabling the "Chimeras at Tenzan Pass" cheat is recommended unless you don't want to do so just to farm for more Cyclone runes. You can always get a second Cyclone from the Guardian Deity, though you would miss on whatever else you might want to get such as *Fortune, *Prosperity, *Hunter, *Phero, Dragon Incense, etc.

Nina has okay affinities to use *Blue Gate, but the spells from *Rage are actually good enough that BG is rendered moot anyways. Maybe I should replace this with a *Barrier from Banner Pass. It is also possible to give her *Mother Earth, *Flowing, and *Resurrection for additional utility, though you already have Riou and Yoshino as your healers, but it's up to you. You might want to give her *Flowing just in case you spec Riou as a physical attacker to help out this team in random battles. Ever since I learned about Riou's high Resurrection affinity, I always spec him as my primary healer, especially when using a physical-heavy team with very little magic. There really isn't any other RPG out there where you can actually spec your protagonist as the primary healer because most players would spec him as a purest physical attacker as possible.

Sierra's *Darkness spells does help a lot in random battles at L'Renouille since this team is VERY weak physically. I initially had Sierra in front so she can attack physically, but she doesn't really hit as hard and take as many hits as I expected, so I decided to put her in the back and let her destroy things with *Darkness and *Thunder instead.

You might get a bit squeamish about using Tomo and Meg as your Earth and Wind mages, respectively, considering they only have 03 MAG each and you have the other powerhouse female mages out there like Tengaar and Rina. But remember that in this party we will be using female characters that represent one of each magic element in the game. I am going to build a male version of this team sans Luc and Mazus (because using both of them would be overkill considering how easy the game is).

SO, for Tomo, *Mother Earth has three support spells (Revenge Earth, Canopy Defense, and Guardian Earth) and only one attack spell (Earthquake). You will need another magic rune so she will be able to use up all her MP levels at any point of the game, including random battles. One can argue that Tomo is better used as a physical attacker, but only she and Luc has an A affinity to Earth, and speccing her as a pure physical attacker is a complete waste of that high Earth affinity which can deal upwards of 1000 damage to all parts of the Beast Rune, as opposed to say, 3000 critical hit damage to only one part of the rune at a time, and AoE damage is VERY important in magic-heavy parties as you NEED to deal high damage to as many parts of the Beast Rune as possible.

Meg has A affinities to both Wind and Lightning, the latter of which is already covered by Sierra. As such, she is the logical choice for *Cyclone in the Runic Maidens party. The real problem, however, is her low MAG stat (105 @ lv 60 = 7/4/2/1 MP), so her MP pool is smaller than the average mage. But 100 MAG is actually high enough to use all 4 spell levels, and since The Shredding is only a Level 2 spell under *Cyclone, Meg can spam it up to 4x at level 60. In addition, she can block spells with Storm Warning and heal allies with Healing Wind and Shining Wind.

Since this team is very weak physically, you might have to spam a lot of MT spells all the way to the Beast Rune. At least you don't have to get bored selecting Auto-Attack every time. From my experience with this party, I had an easier time with the Beast Rune with a magic-heavy party than a balanced or a physical-heavy party, one part due to the Master Robe preventing status ailments which would otherwise cripple physical attackers and one part due to Riou not having to cast Battle Oath every time and pray every single physical attacker in the party without *Fury is Berserked. In my usual parties, I need about 5-6 turns to take the Beast Rune down. But the Runic Maidens party only took me 3 turns of spamming high-level magic spells to finish it off.

All in all, I recommend trying this party out, though you can always stick to the Ultimate Magic Party if you really want to use the best mages in the game.

Alternative: Replace all the characters' (except Sierra's) secondary runes with *Double-Strike or *Fury (depending on physical abilities) and equip them with the necessary weapon runes (Friendship, Exertion, and the status ailment runes) to help increase the team's effectiveness in Auto-Battles. For example:

Sierra - Darkness / Thunder / permanent Thunder rune on weapon
Riou - Double-Beat / Bright Shield / Double-Strike / Magic Drain OR any other weapon rune
Nina - Double-Strike / Rage / any weapon rune
Yoshino - Flowing / Double-Strike / any weapon rune
Tomo - Mother Earth / Double-Strike / any weapon rune
Meg - Cyclone* / Trick / Wind on weapon

Armors - Wind Hat, Master Garb OR Taikyoku Wear OR Master Robe, Fire Emblem OR Water Amulet OR Thunder Amulet OR combination of Power Rings and Skill Rings
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.