[FAQ] Transferring Suikoden I save data

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: [FAQ] Transferring Suikoden I save data

Post by Pyriel »

It occurred to me that they might have messed up including him in the list, but he's nowhere remotely close to Tai Ho, so mixing the two of them up would take real effort. I can't think why else he'd be there.
Leon481

Post by Leon481 »

Pyriel wrote:It occurred to me that they might have messed up including him in the list, but he's nowhere remotely close to Tai Ho, so mixing the two of them up would take real effort. I can't think why else he'd be there.
A mix up is the only thing that makes sense. Vincent was never playable in S1. There are no bonuses for him to get. Why include him in the list at all if it wasn't some kind of mix up?
Leon481

Post by Leon481 »

To elaborate on my above post, by mix up I don't necessarily mean programming error like you seem to be implying (although that's a possibility). The most likely senario would be someone giving the programmer in charge of carry over bonuses the wrong list of names. He then went on to program in Vincent specifically, not realizing the mistake. There a good chance Tai Ho was just the victim of a badly written memo.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

BTW Marsil79 at gamefaqs has been putting together information like equipment that transfers into the game. Did you know Pesmerga can also carry a Windspun Armor into 2 (his armor, like Humphrey's, is fixed, but the S1 carry-over can at least make it better)?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/198844-s ... i/62158707

Pyriel, did you see where the highest level bonus is implemented?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

According to that, you have to cheat to get a Windspun on him in Suikoden to begin with. Might as well just cheat on Suikoden II, and avoid the middle man.

I know where the highest level bonus gets done, but the push-down isn't at all straight forward. It's done in like five steps, working on data it stored on the stack through each iteration. It'll probably turn out to be a bubble-sort or something, but I haven't looked into it yet.

It looks like the runes listed on my site really were meant to transfer. Viktor has no runes equipped to start, and I believe he begins with the right-hand slot available, even at level 20. The code will get all the way to the point of translating the rune ID, and then it goes back through his rune slots and determines none are available for some reason, or at least that the Double-Beat rune he has in my Suikoden save isn't compatible with any of them. Flik wouldn't get any transfer because he starts with a Lightning Rune before you even attempt to load data. That much seems to be intentional, and sensible.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

oh...... Pesmerga's armor is fixed in Suikoden 1 as well. lol
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Spark Rune is limited to 1 in both games but they intended to make it so you can have a second Spark with a transferred character... not like having 2 in a party is really going to change anything though..
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Even more interesting is the transfer of the Phero Rune. While it is unique pre-epilouge, you could transfer multiple crystals.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Maybe they dropped this idea intentionally because some Runes (like the Clone Rune) don't exist in Suikoden II?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, they did a translation, and mapped things like the Clone Rune to nothing. They even mapped second tier runes to first tier runes to keep you from bringing over too much power. It is broken, and whether they broke it intentionally or not is impossible to determine. One of the reasons they don't transfer is that the character must have some part of their recruit status set for it to happen. The recruit status array is initialized to 0 at this point. There's no way to tell if that's by design or mistake.

Edit: OK, I figured out how the Highest Level Bonus gets applied. It's random. If only one character has the highest level, then whoever that is gets the bonus. If two, three, or more characters are at the highest level, whether it be 99 or 61, it generates a random number to decide which of them gets the bonus. I would imagine that very little random number generating is going on at that point, so it's possible that loading the same file repeatedly will yield identical results every time. I think your results would only be modified by using the randomish name generator, and possibly by how long you wait on the title screen, if that fog is done in real-time and uses the library rand function.
Marsil79

Post by Marsil79 »

Pyriel wrote: Edit: OK, I figured out how the Highest Level Bonus gets applied. It's random. If only one character has the highest level, then whoever that is gets the bonus. If two, three, or more characters are at the highest level, whether it be 99 or 61, it generates a random number to decide which of them gets the bonus. I would imagine that very little random number generating is going on at that point, so it's possible that loading the same file repeatedly will yield identical results every time. I think your results would only be modified by using the randomish name generator, and possibly by how long you wait on the title screen, if that fog is done in real-time and uses the library rand function.
That saved me a lot of time. I thought there was some kind of pattern, because I always got the same results. Then again, I always loaded the same file in my tests.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Marsil79 wrote:That saved me a lot of time. I thought there was some kind of pattern, because I always got the same results. Then again, I always loaded the same file in my tests.
Out of interest: How did you test? Did you load up a S1 file and play up to the recruitment of all those characters every time?
Marsil79

Post by Marsil79 »

Celes wrote: Out of interest: How did you test? Did you load up a S1 file and play up to the recruitment of all those characters every time?
No. I just added the characters to the active party using a gameshark.
Marsil79

Post by Marsil79 »

Seeing that you already compiled the data and using a far better method that I did, I don't think I will ever finish the guide I was working on.

You may want to add to the section on weapon bonusses that the levels of Kirke's, Kirkis', and Lepant's weapons in Suikoden are not taken into consideration for the calculation of Stallion's, Lorelei's, and Sheena's weapon levels in Suikoden II. It wouldn't be far-fetched to assume they do.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

oh dear, yet another detail i never noticed? Stallion uses Kirkis's weapon instead of his old one in S2... they certainly gave it a lot of thought!