Medicine Rune

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
OneRune

Medicine Rune

Post by OneRune »

In my attempt to make Tuta a viable party member, I played around with the Medicine Rune and noticed two things:

1. If you select ‘Defend’, the rune’s ability will not trigger. It will trigger if you choose ‘Attack’.
2. The rune’s ability will not trigger if the bearer is not equipped with any Medicine items — meaning Medicine in your bag will not be enough.
3. The rune’s ability will not trigger on the bearer’s critical status.

Because of these issues, the Medicine rune seems pretty worthless. The only time it will be helpful is if you choose ‘Attack’ instead of using something from ‘Item’ , the ability will trigger on an ally who may have just been dealt a lot of damage.

Has anyone experienced anything different?

Is there a combination to make this rune helpful?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Medicine Rune

Post by KFCrispy »

I may have asked in the past, but what exactly happens when the conditions are met for the Medicine Rune--does the character attack like normal but get an extra action that heals someone?

For #3, it sounds like the character will not heal him/herself. Is that correct?
frozenfan843

Post by frozenfan843 »

KFCrispy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:38 am I may have asked in the past, but what exactly happens when the conditions are met for the Medicine Rune--does the character attack like normal but get an extra action that heals someone?
i could be mistaken...but i could've sworn Tuta attacked, then used a medicine on an injured party member...though that was well over 15 years ago, and i don't remember exactly who was in the group, or where i was at...it might've been early on in the beginning, as i was instructed to go to Ryube to get flour, so i had Gengen and Tuta in the group as well...but i can't exactly see that, unless the FurFurs were giving me problems.

which is entirely possible, as i was still new to Suikoden back then, and wasn't too sure what i was doing, or what i was suppose to do exactly.
you stole an Everlasting Gobstopper, GOOD DAY SIR!
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I think that it cancels their action and uses Medicine instead. In Suikoden 4 it allows an attack and still goes off, but I'm pretty sure that it takes over the action in 2. Been looking to start a new game soon so I can check it out in a few days.
OneRune

Post by OneRune »

wataru14 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:47 am I think that it cancels their action and uses Medicine instead. In Suikoden 4 it allows an attack and still goes off, but I'm pretty sure that it takes over the action in 2. Been looking to start a new game soon so I can check it out in a few days.

That’s correct. The action is canceled and the Medicine rune goes into effect.