Muse Glitch: 100% "Random" Battle chance

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
FerusGrim

Muse Glitch: 100% "Random" Battle chance

Post by FerusGrim »

Before reading, it's worth noting that I'm using ePSXe to run the game and that I've partially patched my Suikoden II game file (I like some of the glitches and kept them).

I'm at the part in my playthrough where we go to Muse to meet with Jowy regarding a peace treaty between the two warring factions. After he and Leon stab you in the back, you make a run for it towards the entrance.

It's pretty difficult to perfectly recount all of the variable things I may have done to cause this to happen (I haven't heard of this, before, so presumably I've either accidentally created this glitch or it takes some weird game states to happen).

But to make a long story short: There is a spot in Muse, when running back towards the entrance, then, when approached from the north, will ALWAYS cause a "random" battle to occur.

I've created a video of my doing it a few times, to show how I'm exploiting it for quick levels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjemsfj2nw2co ... J7AauD.mp4
Omnigamer

Re: Muse Glitch: 100% "Random" Battle chance

Post by Omnigamer »

This is a not a bug, and is an intended effect. At the foot of most of the stairs in the area are battle zones that are intended to look just like random battles.

Interesting fact, you can actually bypass one of the zones by lining yourself up exactly right before crossing it. This is used in the speedrun to avoid the battle.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I'm virtually certain it's not a glitch. That whole stripe at the bottom of the stairs always triggers a battle if you enter it from the north, moving south. It's rather specific, and people might miss that it's a scripted 100% because running around in circles or back and forth won't work. You can even skip it by approaching as close as possible, and then passing through that line of tiles by skimming off the wall. Since you're not facing south, the battle won't trigger.
FerusGrim

Post by FerusGrim »

Ah, okay. It was so weird that I kind of assumed it was a bug or something.