Need some Gameshark Advice on Stars

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
knight85

Need some Gameshark Advice on Stars

Post by knight85 »

I'm making plans for a starter save for suikoden 2 with a few codes.

one of the codes i'm considering. is to cheat so i have valeria or kasumi in my party from the beginning of the game (or in the case of my save. from toto village after the tenzen pass masacre)

but before i do. i'm trying to find out 2 things

1) how would cheating for valeria or kasumi from the beginning affect the character recruitment in gregminister? (as in would i be able to get the other character)

2) how would cheating for one of the generals and recruiting the other affect the stars of destiny?

3) what would happen in regards to war units post gregminister

to be honest i'm not sure if i'm even making sense here. but if all else fails i'll just cheat both of them into the stars at the beginning and leave it at that. i've already figured out how to modify a character's weapon level using codes.

i used it on one of my last playthrus to let me keep jowy in my party and have king jowy from the beginning with a reduced level sword for the king.

i'm already considering cheating in genshu from the beginning to get some use out of him for a while.

if it werent for the fact that pesmerga and mazus's armor cant be changed. i'd cheat them in too so i could get some use out of them from the beginning.

unless of course someone has a way to unlock a characters armor and rune slots?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Need some Gameshark Advice on Stars

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I don't know how hacking them in would affect the Gregminster story specifically, but I do know that hacking in characters that are needed for story sequences in other parts will mess up the game. E.g. hacking in Emilia to be recruited before you've done the Greenhill mission will cause her to disappear from the school and make it impossible to progress.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
knight85

Post by knight85 »

that's why my plan when i get to playing suikoden 2 will be to wait until I get to the save point in banner pass before the boss to cheat for valeria or kasumi as a test.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 15#p156141

In this post I show where the rune unlock levels are kept in RAM. However, the table is kept in multiple modules, and will likely pop up in different memory locations depending on what you're doing—in a Rune Master's menu, looking at the stats menu, etc. If you want to ensure that you can always change out runes, it needs to be changed in all those locations, which makes for either lengthy codes, or requires you to patch the disc.

I think the armor lock-outs are in that vicinity, but I don't recall if I checked. I also wouldn't be surprised if that data is replicated everywhere just like the rune unlocks.
Rein

Post by Rein »

The only problematic character is Emilia; she is the only star you should avoid hacking in. Everyone else can be recruited normally even with the code on, and they get their stats updated to the correct recruiting stats, unless you already leveled them beyond. I was experimenting with playing through the entire game with all characters recruited from the beginning on multiple occasions. Dreaded Emilia made me restart more than once though haha.

Have fun playing the game this way, it can be interesting, especially if you do not want to run around recruiting characters, but enjoy the story more.
knight85

Post by knight85 »

the only non combat star i would cheat for is tessai. and that's for 2 purposes.

1) so that i can have access to a blacksmith at all times without having to rely on blacksmiths in town to maintain my minions weapons
2) to free up item slots in my inventory from those hammers that we're stuck with for 3 quarters of the game

in addition i've got cheats squirled away that will let me have permanent access to BOTH versions of Jowy. the stafff wielding best friend and the sword wielding king.

i'm also giving SERIOUS thought to cheating for genshu at the start to get some use out of him

i havent decided if i'm going to do it yet but i'm giving some thought to cheating in valeria and kasumi. but my plan for mazus and pesmerga is out. mainly because with the carry over data i have pesmerga will start at level 50.

valeria and kasumi are in the same boat at level 38 but i have a work around planned if i do put them in from the beginning.

namely my plan to leave getting kinnison and shiro until after the merc fort battle. that way if i wind up with undesireable party members i can replace them with a combo team.

i also have a massive spread of gear and rune cheats planned out and spread across the game. and also a magic stat boost plan that will bring the magic stat of all the warrior mage and mage characters i like and the ones i plan to use in the luca fight up to match luc.

but parts of that plan are still in the development stages. namely i need to figure out if i really need all the batches of stones of magic that i've got planned.

but that will be sorted out during my next playthur after i clear breath of fire 3.

and to do so i need to finalise who i want to use during the luca fights.
Rein

Post by Rein »

The characters you cheat in before you should are usually lv1 anyway, so that won't pose any problems. Only when you actually go through their recruitment do their levels update.
knight85

Post by knight85 »

for non suikoden 1 stars you're right. but for characters that were in suikoden 1 where i've carried over data the rules are different. suikoden 1 stars get a bit of a boost
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

If you Shark both Valeria and Kasumi the game defaults to Valeria. She will be your war general (you won't get both). If you chose Kasumi during the Greminster sequence, her sprite will appear in the war room during the next battle prep, and she will have a few lines of dialogue, but she will not appear in the actual battle.
knight85

Post by knight85 »

got it.

although to be honest it was more the effect sharking both of them in would have on recruiting other stars.

i dont want to take them both and wind up not being able to get someone cruicial like ayda.

you know i was just sitting here tonight and a monumentally twisted idea hit me

i've got some codes that let me keep jowy atredies as a party member after he leaves. and also a code to put king jowy into the roster. plus i figured out the codes for lowering character weapon levels.

combining those codes together with a code to give king jowy basic gear and you've got a warrior mage for the whole game.

then i was sitting tonight and my monumentally twisted idea hit me.

how can i separate king jowy from staff jowy?

and then it hit me. a way to diferentiate between then and potentially avoid having to go all the way to gregminister for tir.

THE SOUL EATER

i can replace king jowy's black sword rune with the soul eater and the only trade off is that king jowy is short range rather than medium range like the others
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Be very careful sharking both Valeria and Kasumi in. I do it in most of my games, but I found that doing it too early can cause the game to freeze. I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I think it happened during the "leaving Gregminster" scene with Varkas. IIRC the game checked to see which character I chose, but couldn't handle seeing both had been recruited. Just to be safe, I don't shark them both in until after I recruit Tomo. Same reason that I don't shark Abizboah and Rulodia in until after recruiting Feather and Sigfried.

Sharking Jowy in seems like overkill to me. Having access to the Black Sword Rune and the Buddy Attack the whole game would make it embarrassingly easy. Same with having convenient access to the Soul Eater. But hey, it's your game. Do what makes you happy.
knight85

Post by knight85 »

wataru14 wrote:Be very careful sharking both Valeria and Kasumi in. I do it in most of my games, but I found that doing it too early can cause the game to freeze. I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I think it happened during the "leaving Gregminster" scene with Varkas. IIRC the game checked to see which character I chose, but couldn't handle seeing both had been recruited. Just to be safe, I don't shark them both in until after I recruit Tomo. Same reason that I don't shark Abizboah and Rulodia in until after recruiting Feather and Sigfried.

Sharking Jowy in seems like overkill to me. Having access to the Black Sword Rune and the Buddy Attack the whole game would make it embarrassingly easy. Same with having convenient access to the Soul Eater. But hey, it's your game. Do what makes you happy.
in that case i'll just take valeria. i like her better as a fighter anyway.

it just means i'll have to wait a but before getting mondo and sasuke.

my general plan in regards to my gamesharking was to set up a save with the cheats active in advance. that way i can transfer the save over to my ps3 and ps3 to play from the save in the future.

that's why i'm setting things up with codes to give me everything i need.

runes
armor
accessories
the golden hammer on a castle level 4 character (mazus)
the whole kit and kaboodle

plus i'm planning to cheat in tessai from the beginning to give me good blacksmith from word go.

and i agree that having jowy all the time is a little unfair. but it gives us access to a competent medium range warrior mage all the way thru the game.

and i've discovered that there are points in the game where i dont need to have nanami with me.

jowy is a hell of a lot better as a party member than nanami