epsxe world map water

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
whileheavenwept

epsxe world map water

Post by whileheavenwept »

Hey guys,
Playing the game on the epsxe emulator and am just wondering why the water never looks right compared to playing it on the psx. It's kind of got this grey gradient to it instead of an actual water texture. Examples below:
ePSXe version:
PSX version:

Does anyone else experience this? Does anyone know which plugin/settings to use to bring back the water?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: epsxe world map water

Post by Pyriel »

I get that too. I'm not sure if there's a video plugin that would fix it. I'm so used to it, I hardly remember what water is supposed to look like.

You get similar issues with transparency in menus and other overlays. I think the plugins available just don't handle some aspect of layering and alpha/transparency properly.

Edit: I just tried every emulator I have (PSXFin, ePSXe, and No$PSX), and all of them display water on the world map as that greyish gradient. Either that's how it's supposed to be, or every emulator has the same problem. I might dig out my PSX to check tomorrow, if nobody else chimes in.
whileheavenwept

Thanks Pyriel! It'll be interesting to hear your results of the psx test. It's been a long while since I played this on the actual playstation hardware instead of an emulator so I forget how it's supposed to look as well.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Haven't played it in a while, but isn' it alw<ys this weird grey gradient? AT least I don't see anything strange here.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it's not just the video plug-in you use, but there are various options to play with...
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

I'm fairly certain that's just how it's supposed to look. It has been that way in every version I've played.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

You're comparing a regular world map with a war battle map. They're different. For example in the first war battle, the mercenary fortress consists of 9 tiles while on the regular one it's just 1 tile. It seems they added even more details on the (close-up) war battle maps, I've never noticed the water terrain thing.

Edit: Sorry, it's 4 "tiles" on the world map, not 1. That's another thing, the world map doesn't really have clear tiles because of the different movement.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
whileheavenwept

Oh I didn't realize there was more detailed sprites in the army maps vs the world map. That's good to know!
So is it confirmed that playing this game on the original playstation also produces that gradient grey for water? It's been way too long since i've busted out my original playstation so my memory is faded.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Yes, the regular world map has gradient grey water on both psx and emulator. I've checked it on the ps2 with the original disc, but it shouldn't matter.
The war battle maps look better, but the regular world map has water current animation, flying flocks of birds and shadows of passing clouds, yippee!
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
whileheavenwept

Thanks for clearing that up Wolkendrache! I don't know why I had it in my head that the water looked different in the psone version, haha. In any case, mystery solved! :P