To Matilda glitch or not to Matilda glitch...

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
sticky-runes

To Matilda glitch or not to Matilda glitch...

Post by sticky-runes »

that is the question.

Ok, I probably shouldn't use the word "glitch" because it's very 2006, people seem to prefer the term "exploit" these days.

So any way, I'm going to start a new game of Suikoden 2 soon (it'll be the version I downloaded from PS store which I haven't used yet, so it is kind of a special occasion, sort of like my very own Suikoden 2 anniversary celebration) and I'm wondering whether I want to use the Matilda gate trick to get Humphrey and Futch early, or save it for later when I do the mission to ask for Gorudo's support.

I have done the Matilda thing early before, and I didn't really like fighting all those powerful enemies and getting loads of levels up really early in the game, it kind of kills the enjoyment I normally get from playing "naturally".

On the other hand, I do get to use Humphrey a lot earlier, and he's one of my fave characters. It could also be a chance to get some extra use out of the Black Sword rune before parting ways with Jowy.

So I've decided to ask you guys for your opinions - should I head to Matilda early, or leave it for when the story requires me to travel to the Knightdom? If you do think I should go for it early, at which point should I go there? Before or after losing the Merc fort, for example? Does anyone have a personal preference for when they decide to use the Matilda cheat?

If you don't really give a sh!t whether I go to Matilda early or not, that's fine, I just thought it would be nice to chat. :roll:
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Re: To Matilda glitch or not to Matilda glitch...

Post by Wolkendrache »

It's a good way to have some entertainment while actually waiting for the Muse rune shop to refresh its rare finds.
You could just decide spontaneously, or do it the Tai Ho way by throwing dice.
If you recruit Humphrey and Futch that early, they will be the first to call you "Lord" 8)
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Being a glitch/exploit it ruins the gameplay and balance.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

If I'm not collecting runes or Matilda glitch, that means I will have to use Luc
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Your weird Suiko birthday is also my daughter's birthday :lol:

As I always say, Suikoden II is an easy game and no glitch is necessary to enjoy it. I never did the Matilda glitch and I'm not really interested to be honest, just as I am not interested in playing with Aspergermerga and Killey. My only advice to you is to play the game as slow as possible to delay this dreadful moment when you have to part ways with the game because you finished it, and to do the exact contrary by slowly building it up playing with all the shitass characters. And Humphrey because he's cool.

Wolkendrache wrote:
If you recruit Humphrey and Futch that early, they will be the first to call you "Lord" 8)
I bet that gives sticky a boner :P
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

But Bruce, if you got a chance to recruit Valeria before the story sends you to Gregminster, would you take it?

Actually, apart from the "my lord" stuff and the bit where the shield rune flashes, it doesn't ruin the continuity that much. They could have made Humphrey and Futch's early recruitment more of an optional storyline event rather than a weird game breaking exploit, a bit like in the first game where you can head to Sarady early to get the Prosperity rune (I like to pretend that part of the game is where Tir and Ted go on a hunting trip together).

I am leaning towards playing the game naturally, though.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Celes wrote:Being a glitch/exploit it ruins the gameplay and balance.
Yeah, that's probably what it's supposed to do, but it doesn't really work well. It changes the difficulty for the the next few hours from "much much too easy" to "much much much too easy", not a big difference. Sticky, for you or anyone who already played the game several times, I think game difficulty or balance is not an issue anymore, it's long been lost anyway. So if the game was much too easy in your last playthroughs (without using the glitch), then you could as well use the glitch (especially if you love Humphrey, it really doesn't matter. If you want some difficulty back, which is lost for 90% by knowing the game inside out and only 10% by using the glitch, then just don't use/abuse certain runes, money trick, stat stones bs etc.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I think I might let the Mt Sparrowhawk sections decide for me. If I manage to quickly get lots of double beat runes, then I may go ahead and get Humphrey and Futch early and set them up with double beats after recruiting them. If it takes me like an hour to get a couple of double beat runes, which it did last time I played, then I won't bother skipping to Humphrey and Futch.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

sticky-runes wrote:But Bruce, if you got a chance to recruit Valeria before the story sends you to Gregminster, would you take it?
fark yeah I would, I wish I were a developper so I could break the code and have Valeria replace Gengen.

Anyway Wolkie is right, it's such an old game you beat so many times anyway, might as well make it easy.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

There's more ways to use the Matilda Gate than just getting Futch and Humphrey early. If you still want to have some challenge, do something else with it, like a world tour to recruit a lot of other folks earlier than you should. Do the bug during the Muse escape and you'll be able to get through Two River to Lakewest and get a boat to Kuskus. From there you need to go back through Radat and Toto to make it back to Coronet to continue the story. Many of the characters along the way that you'd otherwise have to wait to get are recruitable during this timeframe.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I never even tried going to Kuskus early before, I thought the Kobolds blocked the way through Two-River? who are the other characters that can be picked up earlier?
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

The Kobold no longer blocks you after Muse is invaded (ie, Coronet). I don't think I've made a complete list, but I believe that most of the non-castle level recruits in Forest Village, Kobold Village, Two River, Lakewest, Kuskus, and Radat are available.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

If you want to be level ~35 early is good imo...although the Harpy boss would be really tough without Bright Shield and Black Sword Runes.

What i don't get is why Humphrey doesn't take part in early war battles since he's recruited! :evil:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Because the major battles of suikoden 2 suck arse, minge and bollocks.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

They're pretty much all scripted, you don't need to interact with the vast majority of battles and you'll win all the same.