[FAQ] Five Flying Squirrels

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: [FAQ] Five Flying Squirrels

Post by KFCrispy »

hey i found a japanese youtube video. i've updated the first post of this thread with all the information you need to recruit the squirrels, including a link to the video showing good locations to stand.
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

Just gonna pinch in my two cents about all this.

After like 10 times of playing this game, trying to get the ultimately perfect game completed, minus the Clive Quest since that's IMPOSSIBLE with these friggin squirrels, I FINALLY GOT THE LITTLE DICKENS MOKU. I'M SO HAPPY MY HEART IS STILL PUMPING LIKE MAD AND I'M SHAKING LIKE A LEAF, GASPING AND PANTING WHILE I WRITE THIS.

Ahem. Ok so. EVERYTHING in this thread has been GIGANTIC help, I thank everyone in here for providing information, and pretty much everything was correct, I'll add that. One thing I can't really swallow is the standing-in-same-spot-waiting-for-the-squirrel-to-join part. So here's my story.

Maku - got in a few walks back and forth on the path, easy
Miku and Meku - I was SUCH a moron for trying to get Meku first, determined he's the one I should get first before I lost my patience and ran crying to Richmond. Voila, Miku's the one I'm supposed to get. She was slight hell, but got her eventually.
Meku...oh God. Like 2 or 3 days trying desperately to get him, with Stallion, without Stallion, with Muku, without Muku, with random other squirrels, alone, NOTHING. Then I totally snapped and literally Googled, quoting: "easiest way to get flying squirrels in Suikoden 2". Hey whaddaya know, directed me here. I tried this Japanese YT link, but that's just crap. Seems to me the US version got messed up BIG TIME and the squirrels thing just became close-to-impossible to complete. I think the squirrels thing in the US version is a major bug. They should definitely join you a LOT faster than 10 hours each. Could be just my version of the GAME, but I'm seriously dumbstruck now.

So getting Meku after reading that entering a city and leaving it helps you get them faster, IT INDEED DOES. I left my game running for like 4 hours (literally) reading everything in this thread to the core, then I finally grabbed the joystick, ran into Matilda Forest Path, came out, walked to half the pathway, PS2 WHIRRED, MEKU IN PARTY. I hailed the heavens.

Moku - I prayed to God for like 2 minutes and sighed a few hundred times since that little monster was by far the worst to get in all my previous plays (I always got the others SOMEHOW, never in a single play have I gotten Moku). So then I walked for a short while in that clearing with Stallion (DUH), nothing. I left the game running for a short while, browsing a bit more, came back, moved, nothing. RAN TO FOREST VILLAGE and left, ran back to the clearing, and 3 secs into entering the clearing, the little bugger joined my party. I almost screamed (it's like 5 am, that says something).

In conclusion:

1) Stallion is a MUST IN THE PARTY. READ: MUST. Don't listen to what anyone says about him being optional, HE IS A MUST AND THAT'S FINAL. I thank Konami for creating that character. Got every single squirrel with him. I could lick his sexy pointy ears.

........................................AHEM.

2) ENTER AND LEAVE NEARBY TOWNS AND CHECKPOINTS (Matilda Path, Forest Village, whichever). There IS something about that, 2 squirrels joining me 10 secs after entering and leaving a place canNOT be a coincidence. It's a huge help. Do it.
3) Your better bet is to walk along the paths rather than standing in the same spot for 10 hours. Yes about 10 hours as I add it up to total. My game file time went from like 28 hours to 36-37. And that's right before fighting Luca. Sajah in under 20 hours? Clive's Quest, my butt.
4) A solid and honest prayer. Think this is the most important note.

OK....................... So I apologize for sorta the longest wall o' text reply in history and my outlandish hyperactiveness, BUT THIS EMOTION CAN'T BE CONTROLLED (Miklotov much). THIS IS THE VERY PEAK OF JOY IN MY ENTIRE GAMING CAREER. Even better than using Harle in Chrono Cross (I'M SORRY HARLE....................................)

Ahem. Sorry. Now off to prep and rape Luca. 'Xcuse me.

THANK YOU AGAIN, LOVE YOU ALL.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

No, Stallion is not a must. Yes, he is optional. I have never used Stallion when recruiting the squirrel so you can do it without him. His only usefulness is letting you escape the battles if you don't want to fight them.

And can't you get the squirrels AFTER doing Clive's quest?
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Palmguy wrote:And can't you get the squirrels AFTER doing Clive's quest?
Yes.
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

Stallion is a must. Say what you want, it's invalid.

...Good day.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Nexus, players used to think Riou had to be alone or he could only be with other squirrels, and all those players who listened did recruit the squirrels. Stop arguing about Stallion.
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

Nah, you're an idiot if you don't take Stallion. Shouldn't even dare attempt collect the crapsquirrels without him. Yup, Stallion's a must.

I say good day.

...Oh and fyi, the Clive Quest is major shyt ("shoot"? LOLRLY?). Biggest I've seen happen in this game. Wanna know the fastest and easiest way to getting that shyt done? EASY!

You. Tube.

So I'd say Konami making that time-wasting piece of crap in this game is the real "stupid" thing, not my message. Deleting a poorly written insult on a ghost forum... LOL someone's sure got God Mode going on badly in here.

Cyaz! ^w^
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

OKay, first of all, dude, take a chill pill.

I don't see why you are so obsessed with Stallion. You were just lucky to have him when it happened. Like I said, I never used him to get them and while sometimes it took me an eternity and a half, other times I was able to get them all within an hour. There aren't any glitches in the US version (about them at least). So stop freaking out.
Also, I don't think Youtube even existed when suikoII was made. It serves as a challenge for players who want to see more than just the main game. Think of it as a side quest for experts. Some people like those things, ya know.
And finally, just who do you think you are coming here and insulting the mods and the website itself on your third post. Grow up, jeez.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Nexus wrote:Nah, you're an idiot if you don't take Stallion. Shouldn't even dare attempt collect the crapsquirrels without him. Yup, Stallion's a must.
Why, because he moves fast? Hate to break it to you but the best way to get the squirrels is still to stand still making Stallion a complete waste of a character slot.
I say good day.
If only.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

This information was posted on gamefaqs and was confirmed to work by another gamefaqs user, behemoth268
Ardus from gamefaqs wrote:So while trying to get the final four squirrels on my new game today, I was reading through all of the various theories on how to recruit them...how some people thought it was movement based, some thought it was time based, and some thought it was a sort of mixture of the two (space based).
First I tried leaving the game on while on one of the paths and taking a step.
An hour passed...no luck. That was worthless...
Then I tried the good old fashioned method of running around with the True Holy Rune and fleeing from all the battles.
I ragequit trying to get the squirrels for a while after wasting 20 minutes of my time doing this.
I recruited some other characters, then decided to try again, this time taking only Hero, Stallion, and Eilie.

Teleporting to Greenhill, I ran as fast as I could directly down the path to Two Rivers immediately after exiting the town.
Amazingly, Makumaku was in my party during the first battle that popped up.
Thinking this was too good to be true, I teleported to Forest Village and, in the same way, ran like my life depended on it down the path towards Greenhill.
Again, I instantly got the squirrel.
I tried the same thing with the third squirrel, but by the time I had gotten to the Forest Path, he had not joined my party.
However, thinking I knew the trick behind it now, I entered Forest Path, ran up and down the path to Greenhill a few times, and got the squirrel.
I also got the final squirrel within a minute using this entering a location and quickly running up and down the path method.

What I hypothesized during all of this was that entering a new location resets the flight path of the flying squirrel who you are trying to run into. The longer you are on the world map, the longer the squirrel has to get away from the location he is supposed to be at (the path he is supposed to find you on). Therefore, if you run down a path immediately after leaving one of the two towns the squirrel is supposed to be between, your chances of finding him will grow exponentially. The reason I think having Stallion was important is not because he allows you to flee from battles, but that he allows you to cover more ground and catch the squirrels more quickly before they deviate from the path.

tl;dr: Quickly ran down paths with Stallion in party, entering/exiting towns to refresh squirrel locations if not finding them within 2-3 passes.
It took Ardus about 10 minutes to get the last 4 squirrels :)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/198844-s ... i/55909495
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

wow ok, I am replaying suikoden II (again) and I had a party of 5 people (stallion included) it was right after raddatt was taken over by highland, I was trying to recruit connell, I was running back and Makumaku was in my party, I always thought you had to either just have the hero, a squirrel, or stallion, I never knew you could have a party of 5 and still get a squirrel, Learn something new every day!
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
vaizeru

Post by vaizeru »

I type this only 5 second after i got makumaku
The history : I teleport grenhill... Run to two river, go out again... Fight 1 encounter , read this forum (10 minutes maybe) and i press square on my stick.. WOW there's a makumaku there
vaizeru

Post by vaizeru »

Now i get mikumiku!!!! Thanks for the forum.. I love U all... Nexus was right!.. But i'm not bring stallion... I'm with nanami and makumaku.. (After defeating luca)
vaizeru

Post by vaizeru »

Now i get mekumeku after i back to the castle and bring stallion to my party and left the 2 squirrels..
vaizeru

Post by vaizeru »

Now i get mokumokuu... This the first time i got all of the squirrels .. Yay... I Got mokumoku not under the forest village itself.. But under again... This the link i got from other forum http://i29.tinypic.com/wml1f8.jpg

Good luck to you all :)
I got all of it under 30 minutes.. Swear.. this the first time i got all... Thx for you all and Nexus :)