[FAQ] Five Flying Squirrels

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: [FAQ] Five Flying Squirrels

Post by KFCrispy »

Nexus had the right idea but tried to claim that Stallion is required to get any squirrel and made a big immature fuss about it. Ardus from gamefaqs discovered the same idea and offered testing and an explanation to his theory.
jin022

Post by jin022 »

stallion is not required to recruit the 5 squirrels
oops

Post by oops »

I've never had a problem getting the squirrles. All I've ever done is make sure my party is not full.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

The only usefulness I had for Stallion is that he made it easy to get to the clearing south of Forest Village to recruit Mokumoku, but that's it.

I got all the squirrels early so that I could recruit Bob before the fight with Luca, and I was still able to finish Clive's sidequest. I just set a time limit (around 3-5 minutes per squirrel) and resetting so that I didn't waste any more game time. #knowingwhatyouhavetodo
LetsRock

Post by LetsRock »

KFCrispy wrote:This information was posted on gamefaqs and was confirmed to work by another gamefaqs user, behemoth268
Ardus from gamefaqs wrote:So while trying to get the final four squirrels on my new game today, I was reading through all of the various theories on how to recruit them...how some people thought it was movement based, some thought it was time based, and some thought it was a sort of mixture of the two (space based).
First I tried leaving the game on while on one of the paths and taking a step.
An hour passed...no luck. That was worthless...
Then I tried the good old fashioned method of running around with the True Holy Rune and fleeing from all the battles.
I ragequit trying to get the squirrels for a while after wasting 20 minutes of my time doing this.
I recruited some other characters, then decided to try again, this time taking only Hero, Stallion, and Eilie.

Teleporting to Greenhill, I ran as fast as I could directly down the path to Two Rivers immediately after exiting the town.
Amazingly, Makumaku was in my party during the first battle that popped up.
Thinking this was too good to be true, I teleported to Forest Village and, in the same way, ran like my life depended on it down the path towards Greenhill.
Again, I instantly got the squirrel.
I tried the same thing with the third squirrel, but by the time I had gotten to the Forest Path, he had not joined my party.
However, thinking I knew the trick behind it now, I entered Forest Path, ran up and down the path to Greenhill a few times, and got the squirrel.
I also got the final squirrel within a minute using this entering a location and quickly running up and down the path method.

What I hypothesized during all of this was that entering a new location resets the flight path of the flying squirrel who you are trying to run into. The longer you are on the world map, the longer the squirrel has to get away from the location he is supposed to be at (the path he is supposed to find you on). Therefore, if you run down a path immediately after leaving one of the two towns the squirrel is supposed to be between, your chances of finding him will grow exponentially. The reason I think having Stallion was important is not because he allows you to flee from battles, but that he allows you to cover more ground and catch the squirrels more quickly before they deviate from the path.

tl;dr: Quickly ran down paths with Stallion in party, entering/exiting towns to refresh squirrel locations if not finding them within 2-3 passes.
It took Ardus about 10 minutes to get the last 4 squirrels :)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/198844-s ... i/55909495

I can confirm this too. This is definitely working and its the FASTEST way to get the damn squirrels. I tried over 3 hours to get the green one (standing still) and after reading this post i got him and the last squirrel under 3 minutes. Then i tried it again because i have 2 save files and it took me 20 minutes to get all of them. So big thanks for Ardus from gamefaqs and big thanks for KFCrispy for putting this here. Stallion is sure not a must but you SHOULD have him in your party. People will save a lot of time if they know this helpful information.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

This "flight path" thing sort of bothers me. It's an OK metaphor, but the way it's described, it sounds like the original poster actually believes there's an invisible dot roaming the map and you have to intercept it. Some modern games with a lot of ambition might try something like that, but there' no earthly reason to assume Suikoden II works like that.

I hate having to repeat this task every time I run through the game, so I decided to research it more fully. It's basically little more than random numbers and timers.

Five Flying Squirrels

At the bottom of the page is a new GameShark code. In general, I only had to pass through a squirrel's region once, and they jumped into the party. It's possible, with a longer code, to make each squirrel's region the entire map, and to remove one of the minor timing requirements. You could probably teleport to the Forest Village, leave town, and have all of them join in a second or two, if you were so inclined. As for me, I'm fine with three minutes and two lines of code.

Edit: Added two extra lines to knock out the last bit of randomness. It gets pretty easy after that: http://youtu.be/jd8zbnSOHvQ
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

so..... walking between towns quickly is NOT a more effective way of recruiting a particular squirrel than sitting in the right area for a long time?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

His method is sound; it's his interpretation of why it works that bothers me.

If you read the wiki page, near the bottom of the active script there's something like a wait timer that takes off when the random number check fails. So the game won't even attempt to recruit the squirrel again for at least several seconds, and it may be up to a few minutes. It seems like the game doesn't track that between zones, and entering and leaving town makes another recruit attempt possible much sooner. If all you do is run between towns, passing through a squirrel's map region every time, you'll actually get many more opportunities to recruit than you would just wandering the map.

I wanted to add that as the best "legitimate" technique, but it seemed sort of thievish to do it.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

ah i get it. very cool!
veeshadow

Post by veeshadow »

This run+screen change trick is really awesome. I even done this multiple times, Even on my video recording it's fastest compared to my trial run (only 8-9 minutes)... Too bad I don't have much free time for uploading this yet.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee89 ... encard.gif

S2 Perfect Game Challenge !!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBCB3CE3392687908

Why Ridley keep appearing in random thumbnails in my videos. OMG Ridley stop terrorize me !!!!
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Bumping this back up to ask if there's a copy of Pyriel's old page on the squirrels? I thought I remembered reading some of it dealing with how enemy encounter regions are laid out on the World Map. I'd like to check it again to test some theories, but it doesn't look like the page was migrated over since it isn't a bug.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

It's in the zip archive of the wiki that I linked; first post in the bug fixes thread.
Metsu

Post by Metsu »

Awesome that someone actually dug into this! Seems anything I think of is already looked at on here :)

My rng skills are incredibly bad. So I didn't even blink at the fact that it took me like 10 minutes for the first squirrel and the third I think. But the other two were quick. I was ecstatic when I got the last one in about 40 seconds or so!! Good work everyone that was involved debugging the game and testing! I was dreading this since my rng luck with shops have been absolutely killer.
BennyJackdaw

Post by BennyJackdaw »

I am at the point where I am talking to the mayors of Two Rivers oh, and I have been spending hours upon hours trying different methods to get Mukumuku, and I have gotten nothing. I have two problems. I can't help but wonder if I am not far enough in the game. Is there a certain point you need to be at in order to get them? Also, I'm playing this game on a modded PlayStation classic. Does that make a difference? Like does that prevent me from finding them?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

If you missed Mukumuku in Kyaro, he won't show up again until all the other squirrels can be encountered. That's around two-thirds of the way through the game, when the Greenhill liberation arc starts. If you've only just arrived in Two River the first time, you have a fair bit of the story to cover before they'll show up.