Is it possible to speak to the Kobolds?

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Is it possible to speak to the Kobolds?

Post by Sasarai10 »

I mean those Kobolds that can be found behind the desks of armor/item shops except the shop owner :roll:
BadPotato

Re: Is it possible to speak to the Kobolds?

Post by BadPotato »

With some cheat enable, yes...

Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Wow,how did you do it? :!:

I guess with similar cheat you can go upstairs to Radat's item shop whenever you want?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I'm guessing a "Walk Through Walls" code.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

wataru14 wrote:I'm guessing a "Walk Through Walls" code.
Seems like it wataru. It's strange that Konami even bothered to give them dialogue though, when they are inaccessible by normal means, even if it is just "BARK!" I wonder if they were meant to be accessible at one point, and then something like the layout of the shop was changed and thus they became unreachable? Meh, not a major point that should be worried about I suppose. But it does beg the question that if they have dialogue, are there other unreachable characters that also have something to say and if they do, what do they say?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Jocky wrote: Seems like it wataru. It's strange that Konami even bothered to give them dialogue though, when they are inaccessible by normal means, even if it is just "BARK!" I wonder if they were meant to be accessible at one point, and then something like the layout of the shop was changed and thus they became unreachable? Meh, not a major point that should be worried about I suppose. But it does beg the question that if they have dialogue, are there other unreachable characters that also have something to say and if they do, what do they say?

I remember 3 ninjas in Rokkaku that unreachable...1 who stays on the top of the roof,1 hanging upside down and 1 found on the top of a stone
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

In Kuskus there are two unreachable cats, and they tend to have dialogues too (even if they are horrendously mistranslated... why is the cat in Viktor's fortress saying 'Sonya'? Is it the reincarnation of Teo McDohl?)
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:In Kuskus there are two unreachable cats, and they tend to have dialogues too (even if they are horrendously mistranslated... why is the cat in Viktor's fortress saying 'Sonya'? Is it the reincarnation of Teo McDohl?)

What??? At which part of Kuskus exactly,i don't remember any cats there? :idea:

Yeah i remember about this cat too...but Sonya might be her owner's name,nothing to do with Sonya Shulen :wink: Strange thing though is that a cat can call her owner's name :|

Also there are 3 soldiers along with a dog in the mercenary fort that you cannot speak to them. they are those who are running around you know.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Sonya is a "mistranslation". The Japanese for "Meow" is "Nyan" and they went from Nyan to Sonya.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Sasarai10 wrote:
BrucePrintscreen wrote:In Kuskus there are two unreachable cats, and they tend to have dialogues too (even if they are horrendously mistranslated... why is the cat in Viktor's fortress saying 'Sonya'? Is it the reincarnation of Teo McDohl?)

What??? At which part of Kuskus exactly,i don't remember any cats there? :idea:
Oh sorry, I meant Coronet. You know, that little walk between the main part of town and the docks? There are two cats accross the canal in front of a door, I think.

I guessed the cat saying "Sonya" was a mistranslation, but damn, the translators could have been more careful about it...
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

You have to bear in mind that the translators were basically thrown text dumps with little to no context. As I understand it, they didn't get a lot of help from the development team in Japan. When they came across something they didn't recognize or understand, they had to try to make sense of it on their own. Also, the internet wasn't much of a thing back then, so they'd never heard of Nyan-cat.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The cat says Sonya because the translator misread ンニャーア as ソニャーア and you kind of have to assume that he was unaware of the fact that it was a cat saying it.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Oh god, that's subtle. I never really appreciated how alike those two symbols are before.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

From a development perspective it's not weird to have a template when creating townspeople to have some dialogue if the talk button is used on them. The main problem is they were placed in a bad spot when designing the town, making them unreachable by normal means.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

KFCrispy wrote:From a development perspective it's not weird to have a template when creating townspeople to have some dialogue if the talk button is used on them. The main problem is they were placed in a bad spot when designing the town, making them unreachable by normal means.
In a sense that there is a database with dialogue for townspeople? Does that mean that there should be a randomness to what the townspeople say? I always assumed that all the townspeople always said the same thing every time you played.