20 Hour Limit?

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Glitch

20 Hour Limit?

Post by Glitch »

Hi all,

I've had the good fortune of finding a friend who has Suikoden 2 that is willing to loan it to me, rather than my having to buy it off ebay for well over $100. It was my favorite RPG hands down when it first came out in the US, and I would say that it still is my favorite. I'm looking forward to playing it again.

I'd like to do a "perfect" playthough, I know getting all 108 stars is difficult without a walkthough, so I found one using Google and it mentioned a 20 hour limit for getting the best ending. I searched the walkthough hosted here on Suikosource and it just seemed to mention the 20 hour limit is for seeing an extra event for Clive and Elza's story and nothing more.

Should I worry about making it to that event in 20 hours, or is it not necessary for the best ending?

Thanks in advance!
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: 20 Hour Limit?

Post by Pyriel »

The best ending doesn't depend on completing Clive's quest at all. I'm pretty sure you have to initiate it in order to recruit him, but that's all that's required.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

That's a matter of opinion. You are right about the four major ending types. The one considered as the "best ending" requires 108 stars at a specific event plus some decisions taken right. However, more comes into play in some of those major ending types like an additional special scene for having five squirrels. Forthermore you may consider certain ending lines more valuable than others. Clive has definitely one of them. Combine those factors and you can call this the "best ending" amongst all possible combinations.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

That's all you get, though, one throw-away line in the epilogue scroll?
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Yes.......
RoBDaWG

Post by RoBDaWG »

A perfect game in Suikoden 2 is somewhat subject to your own opinion. I'm not positive but I think there are a few instances in the game where you have to sacrifice one thing for another. Regardless, it's damn near impossible to get everything in the game and make it to the ending in 20 hours. There are a few rare items that you can only attain by killing monsters. Some of them take forever to drop, so you'll spend a lot of time just doing that.

As I'm sure you've read, there are things revolving around Clive that are time sensitive. I'm in the process of playing the game for the first time myself, and discovered that the Clive stuff is best saved for a second play through. You really have to rush in order to make the time limits. For example, the first requirement is that you be in a certain place by 11:00:59. I think I was at 20 hours or so by the time I got there. I could have probably gotten there a few hours earlier, but like I mentioned above, I spent quite some time getting multiple rare drop items. I've also left the game on while stepping away plenty of times. But still, you really have to rush to hit that 11 hour mark and you'll miss a lot of the story.