Formation OCD

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
AlOnZo

Formation OCD

Post by AlOnZo »

It only occurred to me as I slowly made my way through Suikoden II, for the bazillionth time, that I seem to have a particularly strange case of OCD when it comes to deciding my formation. For example, I had a Fury Rune attached to Riou and had him front-left with Nanami in the middle and Jowy out right. Now to me it didn't look right so I had to switch Riou and Nanami. Same with heavy fighters, they need to be either side of Riou for me to consider it "neat". Trivial I know, but does anyone else share this severe case of the strangies or am I forever alone?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Formation OCD

Post by wataru14 »

I always arrange my fighters in HP order from left to right

1 -- 2 -- 3
4 -- 5 -- 6

I will never have a S-Range character in the back row. Even if they are a squishy mage and need the protection or if they have a command Rune that will allow them to hit from the back row. I will also never place an L-Range character in the front row.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

If the formation looks like that

I will always put Georg in 1, Riou in 5.
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

I tend to put Riou in 5. That's about as far as I must have things.
If there's ladies in my team, they're next to Riou, because Riou gets lonely at times.
RoBDaWG

Post by RoBDaWG »

I know what you mean. For one thing, I hate having Riou in the back row, though sometimes I have no choice. Really, I hate having him anywhere except the first spot. Also, if I have characters that go together, I like to have them near each other somehow. I'll put Nanami behind Riou, Tengaar behind Hix, etc. The only exception are the Wingers. If I have them both in my party, I like to have one on each side and someone else in the middle

Does anyone know if position in the party has anything to do with who the enemies attack, other than frontrow/backrow? Like is the back-right less likely to get attacked than the back-left?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Other than enemies having range restrictions similar to your party's, no it doesn't affect anything. Any biases that monsters have when attacking come down to their individual AI setup. The only one I've really noticed is that some enemies tend to dog-pile on vulnerable characters within certain limits. Like with any game, if your enemies used real strategies, you'd have to be a golden god or topped up on medicines to survive a trip with more than a few fights in it. So there's a degree of randomness built into it.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Just recently, I tend to place Riou at 2 or 4 depending on the formation restrictions of the party and/or to make sure that buddy characters (e.g. Fliktor, the Circus Trio, Hix/Tengaar, Humphrey/Futch, Freed/Yoshino, etc.) are set up in such a way they are close to each other every time the party is spread out due to game events. Prior to this, I always place Riou in the middle of either row no matter what.

Other formation tendencies of mine include putting all S-range melee fighters in front and the rest at the back, including mages (S-range or otherwise). If there are only 1 or 2 S-range melee fighters in the party, I tend to put Riou in front unless there are other M-range characters who have higher HP and/or DEF than he has.

I particularly liked it when Luc just stands at the back waiting for the others to decimate the entire enemy party before I simply decide to nuke everyone with his uber-powerful spells.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i almost always keep Riou in slot 1 so that he doesn't get bumped around I won't have to OCD him back to a different slot :P
there aren't a lot of interesting S-range characters I want to use, so he's perfectly fine occupying a front slot in my games. plus he's quite good at counter-attacks!
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Riou in slot 5 makes more sense to me, since he is a leader. So I always put him there.