Hard Mode Patch / Rom Hack

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
dune

Hard Mode Patch / Rom Hack

Post by dune »

Hello all,

As we all know Suikoden 2 is way too easy once you have figured out how to combine rubes like fury and double beat. While the challenges posted in the 'Suikoden 2 challenges' topic are fun, in my opinion that's not the way the game is meant to be played. Wouldn't is be awesome if the game was still hard to beat even when you have upgraded all weapons and attach a Fury Rune to Oulan?

Pyriel, who created the Suikoden 2 Patch, told me that changing enemies stats (too make them stronger, hence increasing the difficulty of the game) via hacking is time consuming because the stats for enemies are spread out over multiple files. I'm not sure if I understood him correctly, because I have no experience hacking whatsover.

My question is exactly how much time it would take to change enemy stats. I'm also wondering if other people would be interested in suh a patch and what everybody's thoughts about it are?

I was thinking that maybe it's possible to only edit bosses, in order to make at least tje boss fights harder. That would be significantly less time consuming then editing every enemy. If a GUI Editor was created, I would do it personally.
oops

Re: Hard Mode Patch / Rom Hack

Post by oops »

I saw the idea a while back by Pyriel and had assumed he had lost interest in it. I'm guessing you would have to edit multiple files just to get upgrade the health, if you were then to change other stats like def and str then it would multiply the work by quite a bit. If I knew how to do this then I would of put time into doing this as I would love to make the game harder to play and then give it another go, unfortunately I don't so I continue to play the game on easy ;)
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, my idea was less to actually make one, and more to create a tool set that would simplify it. Nobody was exactly clamoring for it, and I haven't had the time in any case.
oops

Post by oops »

Yeah no worries Pyriel, if you ever get around to it then it would be awesome. =)
MasterGrand

Post by MasterGrand »

dune wrote:Hello all,

My question is exactly how much time it would take to change enemy stats. I'm also wondering if other people would be interested in suh a patch and what everybody's thoughts about it are?

I was thinking that maybe it's possible to only edit bosses, in order to make at least tje boss fights harder. That would be significantly less time consuming then editing every enemy. If a GUI Editor was created, I would do it personally.
Hello all

I can help for find all stats enemies and bosses .
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

My question is,if you change the enemy level will you get the same experiece points as before? for example if you set an enemy up to level 99,whose in-game level is 50,will you get the same experience points?
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

It depends on how the set up the data structures, but from what I've seen you will get experience as if the monster is level 99. Which means you will jump in EXP very fast.
MasterGrand

Post by MasterGrand »

Sasarai10 wrote:My question is,if you change the enemy level will you get the same experiece points as before? for example if you set an enemy up to level 99,whose in-game level is 50,will you get the same experience points?
.......................................................... :roll:
Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Since this topic appears near the top of Google search results for 'Suikoden Hard Mode', just to let anyone know who sees this, there are now Hard Modes available for the first two games in the series:

~Suikoden Hard Mode: https://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... =8&t=14533
~ Suikoden II Hardcore: https://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... =9&t=14511