Speed Run questions

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
BadPotato

Re: Speed Run questions

Post by BadPotato »

Omnigamer wrote:Just as a heads-up, I will be playing through the JP version this weekend (assuming my JP PS1 arrives on time). The goal will be to look for differences as far as text, events, and possibly investigate some other glitches. Having the full music isn't a bad thing either :)
Great! I'll be looking foward to this :D
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Got caught up in some other things this weekend, but my SCPH-9000 appears to work fine, and my schedule next weekend looks free. Don't expect it to be a straight-up run, as I will need to adjust to a lot of the text differences. With any luck I remember enough Japanese to get me through.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Slight revival of this thread just to report some basics I've been testing. Between all the different platforms you could potentially run this game on, the fastest overall during my testing is with the Playstation (Vita) TV with Fast Disc Speed enabled. This enables rather significant savings in nearly every action, however there are still some cases (Beast Rune fight) where it mysteriously lags a bunch. Overall though, it is the clear winner. The next fastest platforms are any PS2 with Fast Disc Speed enabled (best being the later models), followed by either PSN version without Fast Disc Speed, then by PS2s without FDS, and finally at the bottom are PS3 with disc and original Playstation. You can see my comparisons here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

This timing difference along with a newer route should allow me to get times under 6 hours for the game, so look forward to more runs soon.
veeshadow

Post by veeshadow »

Can't wait for more of your runs, I just followed you on twitch... Did you test the latest field war strat before final dungeon that involves Templton?That one can be really fast depend on RNG. But maybe should use save and quit, many times that resetting game is faster than dealing with bad RNG (unless that not allowed in single segment speedrun)
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee89 ... encard.gif

S2 Perfect Game Challenge !!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBCB3CE3392687908

Why Ridley keep appearing in random thumbnails in my videos. OMG Ridley stop terrorize me !!!!
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Templton is/was the standard for the final L'Ren battle. I was experimenting a bit in my run on youtube, and it didn't work out so well in the end due to a lot of poor luck, but also some poor planning on my part. I timed it out recently and the cost for recruiting him is still better than the average case for most of the other setups for that particular map. There's essentially no RNG with Templton; if Han moves to the wrong spot, it means you just have to wait one turn longer.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Just as a heads-up, I'm probably going to do an attempt tomorrow (5/16) at about 12 PM EDT. My route notes are finalized and I feel like I should be decently practiced to at least get an initial set of splits.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Another run finished! Final time was 6:25:50. You can watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIDysthY2Fw

Overall pretty crappy, but still improves my previous best time by about 20 minutes. With some more polish and some better luck I should be able to save an additional 10-15 minutes, but I'm not doing any more attempts until I have some solid practice in and finalize a few minor tweaks to the route.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

nice job! for such a long game with so many events and things to consider, it's certainly hard to do speed runs.