Suikoden 2 Remade with Features from Later Games

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Suikoden 2 Remade with Features from Later Games

Post by Sasarai10 »

gildedtalon wrote:What is PS?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postscript
Royi

Post by Royi »

I really liked the art style of Suikoden 5. It was made in pretty cool format that still felt very "Suikoden". (As long as the wait times weren't forever like Suikoden 5's were).

There is really no point in a remake though. Maybe a rerelease with some minor HD updates in the PSN etc, but overall I would much rather a Suikoden 6
The answer is 42
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Having all the large beasts as recruitable non-stars os a great idea. Instead of having Listening Runes, just make a recruitment condition that Badeaux must be in your active party to recruit them.

I'm not too keen on a recruitable Rowd. He might be trying to raise money for his sister's treatment, but he seems to enjoy a lot of the things he does. His long-winded speech when you are about to be executed in Kyaro comes to mind. If he said something along the lines of, "I'm truly sorry things had to turn out this way, but we don't always get to choose our own fate," or "I really did like you two but the world is harsh and cruel. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to for a greater good." Would have made him a lot more endearing to me. If his dialogue was rewritten to show a little remorse or reluctance to do what he does, then I would be all aboard. Even if he mentioned his sister during the game instead of having some random townie tell you would be better. "I can't let you go. I have someone that depends on me, too, and I can't let her down."
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Screw Rowd. Let Pohl live. Make the blacksmith that can only sharpen until level 3 the patsy.
Ranadiel

Post by Ranadiel »

I was thinking about starting a "What would you change about S2?" post, but this about covers it, so here's my contribution. Mind that I've only played S1 and S2, so my suggestions wouldn't be inspired by other games in the franchise.

* A dialogue overhaul: Search through the game with a fine-tooth comb and fix all the translation issues and inconsistencies within the game's dialogue. This needs to be done first and foremost.

* Recruitable character lockouts: I hate hate hate the fact that we're forced to choose between recruiting some and locking out others, so the first thing I would do is make all the beast characters non-stars and have Badaeux either give you 4 Listening Crystals or 2 more are able to be found, and have both Valeria and Kasumi recruitable through normal means, even if one simply joins later than the other.

* Character recruitment requirements: For some characters, when the time comes that you actually meet the requirements to recruit them, their actual usefulness becomes questionable. Tessai and Genshu are two major offenders in this department - Tessai only needs to see the Star Dragon Sword in order to be recruited, which you get fairly in the game, but he doesn't appear in his shop until after Matilda surrenders to Highland, which is insane. It also makes no sense that you can acquire the Copper and Iron Hammers prior to even recruiting Tessai, but they only improve *his* sharpening skills! Insane! And Genshu... this guy is the 108th Star of Destiny? A mediocre fighter stuck with a mediocre rune that's permanently attached to his one rune slot who can only participate in one mediocre unite with another mediocre character who is basically the same mediocre character, but wearing a turban. Sheesh! Granted that I never really used Shin in battle, but if I could have recruited Genshu earlier in the game, or was able to recruit him immediately after recruiting Shin, I might have. Personally, I'd suggest making any changes that allowed you to recruit more characters sooner, even if it meant moving them from the cities you originally find them in, and restore some sense to the requirements. Tessai and other characters who open shops(Raura) or provide other services(Jude) in any way should be available as soon as possible, and any character who shows up in a city you've already been to but waits for some seemingly arbitrary moment to finally show up should be available the first time you get there, unless it's absolutely necessary for the purpose of the game's plot.

* Major Battles are over before you know it: The scripted battles that end after a few turns need to go. They need to be changed so that they end only if you lose, or if you win and "reinforcements" arrive, forcing you to retreat and regroup.

* Major Battles are pointless: I'll just say this - I enjoyed the major battles a lot more than I should have considering how much of a missed opportunity they turned out to be. The major problem with S2's major battles is that aside from plot progression, there is no reward for participating in them, only the risk of an ally permanently dying. I would want to see some kind of experience system implemented that allowed your units leaders the chance to get stronger by their performance in battle. For example, dealing 1 sword's worth of damage would gain you 1/2 an experience point, and you could spend points on raising a unit leader's attack or defense, or allowing them an extra use of a special ability, with the number of experience points required to raise stats and ability uses scaling up the higher the numbers climb. Destroying a unit would gain you 1 whole experience point, but this doesn't stack with regular gains - meaning destroying a regular undamaged unit that doesn't have Heavy Armor would net you 1 1/2 experience points, not 2, whereas a Heavy Armor unit would net you 2 points. This way, even if you are forced to "lose" a battle as a way to progress the plot, it doesn't feel like your time was completely wasted and that there were at least some gains that will carry over to the next battle. There should also be a reward at the end of each battle you "win" - such as a piece of armor, an accessory, or a rune that was found on the battlefield and is brought to you after by a generic soldier.

* Permanent Runes: I know that this is a series mainstay, but it's always bugged me and became even more of an issue once S2 introduced multiple rune slots. Characters with permanent runes affixed are almost always worse than characters with more versatility; S2 showed us this when Hai Yo becomes a better fighter than Pesmerga. This only makes sense if you're on meth. Every character should have at least some options, even if it's simply being able to free up their one available rune slot by removing an otherwise permanently attached rune. It should be enough that the runes that are permanently attached are usually ones that can only be used by that character, so the limitation is already expressed. That, or give everyone two available rune slots at some point.

* Speaking of Pesmerga: This guy is the definition of overrated, which is sad. Even though he's not my favorite character by far, he deserves better than joining with only 1 equipment and rune slot available for customization. Free up his equipment and give him 2 rune slots and call it a day. He should also become recruitable immediately after Yuber makes his appearance, even if that means moving him to another location. Why the hell is he in the Cave of the Wind, anyway?

* Special attack runes: For this suggestion, I mean non-technique runes, such as the Viper and Great Hawk runes, not runes such as Falcon and Shrike. I feel like these should have been Weapon Runes that change how the party member's regular attack functions, so long as they have the rune attached. This would make them much more useful in my opinion as they could benefit from the character's critical hit percentage and other damage amplifiers, such as the Double-Beat rune.

* Double-Strike?: I would personally change this rune's name to Double-Edge, as I've always felt it should be, since that is exactly what it does. You deal 1.5 greater damage in exchange for taking 1.5 greater damage. That's a double-edged bonus.

That's all for now!
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Suikoden 1 remake, or Suikoden 3 and Gaidens re-released on PSN or whatever in ALL regions.

But F#ck Suikoden 2 remake. It's supposedly the best game in the series and you people still want it to be made better? You're as bad as the Resident Evil fans :P :P :P :P :P :P
Ranadiel

Post by Ranadiel »

S2 may have been the best game of the series in a lot of people's eyes, but there's always room for improvement, and it has a lot of issues with it outside the gate that were only addressed in fan-made patches. It's a great game, but could be made better. Nothing's perfect, as they say.

My dream Suikoden would be one that has developer's kits available to players, so that fans could tweak the game and create their own content as newer PC games have encouraged players to do - see Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Fallout, Mass Effect, etc.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Of course there's always room for improvement, I just think if any of the Suikoden games urgently need improving it is Suikoden 1, since a lot of things in that game were improved upon in S2 (improved graphics and animation, extra rune slots, storyline events from the enemy's perspective, supporting characters joining in with dialogue during major scenes, having a dash button instead of faffing around with holy runes, etc.) If they were going to do remakes I'd rather they start with the very first title, because S1 is missing far more content than any of the sequels.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

No one mentioned yet,about playing as Jowy? I think most of us,would like to see this feature i a remake will ever come out.

@Ranadiel I read your post about Character recruitment requirements. Have you ever played S4? The last set of recruits is mostly characters who would reguralry appear in the middle of the game...an apraiser,two gamblers,and a bunch of mediocre fighters. :|

Btw,if Genshu annoys you what about Pico and Alberto? They don't even provide any service in your HQ. And they are one of the last recruits of the game. I found it strange too,that Tessai is recruited that late,because he is a blacksmith. Blacksmiths are usually recruited in the middle of the game. Jude is another non-useful character recruited that late...he is only useful to get only one item,via his sculpture. Rulodia and Chuchara are very bad fighters,and Vincent is mediocre too.

Genshu is not that bad,really. He is an ok fighter for me. Not among the best,but ok. Definetely the best characters from the last set of recruits are Pesmerga and Mazus. They're useful in war battles too.

Btw,the only problem with war battles in S2,is that except the last battle,and battle against Yuber in Greenhill,if you go with Kiba,the battle will last in a couple of turns,and that's sth that annoyed me a lot. My opinion is,that they should end only when you defeat enemy's flag,except when you fight against Luca who is invulnerable, of course
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai10 wrote:No one mentioned yet,about playing as Jowy? I think most of us,would like to see this feature i a remake will ever come out.
There have been loads of threads talking about playing the S2 storyline from Jowy and Highlands perspective.

Sasarai10 wrote:
Btw,if Genshu annoys you what about Pico and Alberto? They don't even provide any service in your HQ. And they are one of the last recruits of the game. I found it strange too,that Tessai is recruited that late,because he is a blacksmith. Blacksmiths are usually recruited in the middle of the game. Jude is another non-useful character recruited that late...he is only useful to get only one item,via his sculpture. Rulodia and Chuchara are very bad fighters,and Vincent is mediocre too.
Pico and Alberto were musicians who played concerts with Annallee when you entered the theater sometimes (I don't quite get why Alberto won't join unless I've got both Annallee AND Pico, when I only get to mention Annallee when recruiting him)
Jude's statue is best to attempt after you've collected all of the plans from throughout the game, so I can understand his late recruitment.
But Tessai is a bit of a wanker. His requirement is to have the Star Dragon Sword - well, we've had that since before we founded a HQ, and we find some of the hammers before he even becomes available, so they turn out to be useless.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

If i remember well,you can give the hammers to his apprentice in Kuskus
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Nope, the apprentice upgrades on his own. The first two hammers are useless.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

S2 with the skill system would definitely be interesting. Nanami having an S in Swing and Continual Attack. xD

I'd probably like basing rune slots on stats instead of being fixed per character in S2 as well. I hate that a few of my favorite characters (Clive, Georg) were limited to just one. At least with the mechanic in place I could use the stat stone trick in order to force them to get 2nd and 3rd slots.

Jeane as a playable character. Make Raura playable too because why not?

Overhaul the major battles because the RNG is way too weird on it.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Some ideas…
- The difficulty must be increased: monsters must be tougher.
- Characters must be balanced a bit: some characters are overpowered while others are nearly useless. It’s fine to have stronger and weaker members, but a little balancing would be good.
- Balancing runes: Fury and Double-beat should have downsides or be limited. Double-strike is ok but only if enemies are tough enough to have a chance to deal damage.
- Exchange/modify characters: Yam Koo, Jeane, Raura and maybe Tessai could be fighters while Tuta and Hai Yo turned to support characters (see below). Delete Rulodia and Chuchara, instead let us have Gremio and Ellie (her story revealed) as non-stars.
- S5 Konvoi & support characters system: non-fighters as support characters do have some more use this way. A konvoi of 4 people is fine for some support characters or exchange fighters. This makes even more sense (or actually does only make sense) if the dungeons are harder.
- Materials for blacksmith: I like games where you have to find materials or components to bring it to a craftsman who can make some good stuff out of it.
- Random enemy stats: like in Tactics. The stats for enemies of the same level are random to some degree. Individuality not only for your party, but also for the enemies!
- New duel system & war battle system: I agree to the people complaining about the war battle system, but don’t forget that the duel system is even more underwhelming. Sorry, but I don’t have ideas on how to improve them.
- Richmond task list option: an option to put tasks in a queue, because I don’t like to visit him for every single task.
- Damage type: expand the damage type system to weapon type damage: slash (axe, sword, claw etc.); pierce (bow, darts, spear etc.); blunt (fist, hammer, staff etc.)
- New game+: The option to play again with stuff taken over, BUT the enemies should then be even tougher.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan