[FAQ] Recipe drop bug (#12, #34, #36)

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
BlueMage279

[FAQ] Recipe drop bug (#12, #34, #36)

Post by BlueMage279 »

This thread is about Pyriel's Recipes Bug Guide which includes not only the explanation for certain recipes never dropping and how to avoid the problems, like #12 (Sandwich), #34 (Japanese Stew, our all-time favorite recipe ever), and #36 (Ghengis Khan), but a fix made possible using gameshark.

I read the mini-guide detailing the recipe bug and how to fix it using codes. But I'm wondering what is a guaranteed method to use in order to not miss any recipes WITHOUT having to resort to codes?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Recipe bug

Post by Pyriel »

Don't ever give a recipe to Hai Yo until you have all the recipes that drop. In the article on the cause of the Recipe Bug, the red rows in the table are recipes that are dropped.

That's a little extreme actually. You should be able to get away with not handing in the "Actual Recipe" values for the red rows. The rest are safe to hand in, since the ones you get through Hai Yo's story or from people or shelves, etc., don't care about the flags, and the ones that show up in the rare finds don't use the same check. So that limits it to 21, 34 and 37. Of course, you have to hope like hell that the other bytes that are incorrectly checked don't block the remaining two. I don't know what that data is used for. Unless that's figured out, it's always conceivable that Recipes 21 and 29 could become unavailable due to some unrelated action.
BlueMage279

Post by BlueMage279 »

Does placing the recipes in storage count as handing them in?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Nope. Until you give them to Hai Yo, they're just another part of your overall inventory. You can't get a second copy, but the bit flag doesn't get set, and you avoid the bug.

When an enemy is about to drop one of these collectible, one-time-only items, the game checks your party inventory, your storage inventory, and finally the bit-flags for the relevant type of item. The last one is what's screwed up. The bits aren't twiddled correctly, so it looks in the wrong spot. The other two searches are done by comparing the item ID to what you have in your inventories. It'd be hard to mess that one up.

For what it's worth, the bits are set properly, but checked incorrectly. If you have the ability to use the codes, you only need to turn them on when you're hunting for a recipe. You can hand in Recipe 21, its bit will be set properly, and with a normal game, Recipe 34 will be impossible to get when you reach the Greenhill Liberation section of the game. If you turn the code on, the right bit will be examined, and it becomes possible to get the recipe again.
BlueMage279

Post by BlueMage279 »

Okay that explains everything, thanks!
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: [FAQ] Recipe drop bug (#12, #34, #36)

Post by Sasarai10 »

I'm really confused now. I think recipes #21 & #29 play a kind of role too. I'm positive that i obtained #29 FIRST and gave it to Hai Yo. But still i have #12 at my store,but afte defeating those Doremi Elves around 100 times,i've had the recipe yet. It's not a very rare though. You've got 1.96% chance per Elf to drop it.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

You're exactly right that Recipe #21 is involved. If you handed it in to Hai Yo, then Recipe #34 will never drop without codes or the patch applied.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Pyriel wrote:You're exactly right that Recipe #21 is involved. If you handed it in to Hai Yo, then Recipe #34 will never drop without codes or the patch applied.

Ok thanks. :)

After all i don't care if i get all recipes in this playthrough,because as i've said before i can't have all the foods (not only the recipes) stored or equipped,along with all the other items.

So recipes #12 #21 #29 #34 #36 are all connected somehow? Say,if you give one of them to Hai-Yo then all the others will be blocked? :roll:
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

No, nothing like that. The way it's done, each Recipe handed in is only capable of preventing you from getting one Recipe. In most cases, it just prevents you from getting the same one again from a shop, but with the drops it's all over the place. It's still one-to-one, though. If you hand in #21 before getting #34, it's impossible to get #34. Turn in #37 before getting #36, and you can never get #36. If you pay attention to all the relationships, it's possible to plan and avoid the bug while tying up the smallest amount of storage possible, but if you don't care to do that, planning to hold onto the dropped ones that you listed plus #37 should work fine.
veeshadow

Post by veeshadow »

Sasarai10 wrote:I'm really confused now. I think recipes #21 & #29 play a kind of role too. I'm positive that i obtained #29 FIRST and gave it to Hai Yo. But still i have #12 at my store,but afte defeating those Doremi Elves around 100 times,i've had the recipe yet. It's not a very rare though. You've got 1.96% chance per Elf to drop it.
That's the problem. Basically play save and don't give Hai Yo all 5 glitched recipes... Storing to Barbara won't trigger the glitch, just giving to Hai Yo will did...
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee89 ... encard.gif

S2 Perfect Game Challenge !!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBCB3CE3392687908

Why Ridley keep appearing in random thumbnails in my videos. OMG Ridley stop terrorize me !!!!
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »