Bug Fixes

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
bongchoof

Re: Bug Fixes

Post by bongchoof »

ive tried 4 different ones now and none of them work. stuck verifying
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, here's the last guy to report that issue, and he never came back after I suggested converting his IMG file to a plain ISO: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 35#p153009

I've only had trouble with one file somebody supplied me, and that was because it turned out to have a bunch of odd-ball headers in it. Once I converted it to an ISO, no trouble at all.
bongchoof

Post by bongchoof »

oh god im going slowly insane trying to get this to work. ive downloaded so much shoot. what converter do you use? i tried imgtoiso and it said it couldnt create vdisk uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
bongchoof

Post by bongchoof »

I give up. No converter i find works. And a lot of them want money to convert a file that large. I am done. My blood pressure is so high right now and the game just isnt worth it. If you have any advice or can convert for me great otherwise I'm moving on. I used this patch years ago with the ppf omatic but its changed since then apparently.
bongchoof

Post by bongchoof »

Sooooo the patched img thing was confusing me. i never selected anything for it. for reason i actually needed 2 copies of the iso for some reason in 2 different places and select one for original and one for patched. i have no idea why. and i also dont know why i just couldnt patch the one iso i had. is there a way to tell if the patched worked? like a different file size or something on the startup screen?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

You managed to get the patch process started without specifying a patched image? How'd you do that? There's supposed to be pop-up warning if nothing is set when you click the button, and it always shows up when I try it. I'm not always the best at anticipating the myriad ways users will try to break things, though. The readme would have probably helped you, if this is all the problem was.

The patch has to resize files and edit their contents on the fly in some cases. Using a straight PPF for that would result in an extremely large patch file (especially if I ever have to do anything that actually pushes up the size of the patched image). I also didn't want to force people to lose the Kindness Glitch or the Matilda Glitch if they see those things as exploitable fun, so a single PPF wasn't the way to go. You can't patch the same file simply because the tool has to have a pristine copy to start from, and in the event something goes wrong, I don't want people to have to reacquire or recreate the original.

The file size post-patching will be the same. The game has something like 200 empty sectors at the tail end of it for padding, and the patcher will write as many sectors as it to takes to pad the image to the size of the original. In the case of the NA game, I think it needs to write something like 10 fewer to pad it, provided you selected the Trade Rumors patch.

The easy way to tell is to compare checksums (MD5, SHA1) for the source and target images, but I can't provide a reference sum for the patched image, as your checksum will vary depending on what patches you selected. It might be worth adding a small bit of text on the title screen, bottom left or something, just to let people know it's a patched image, but it's not something that's done now. I always thought it a little too intrusive. The earliest opportunity to confirm would be to try the Inn Bug in Ryube, provided you patched it.

Edit: That being said, if the patcher succeeds, and the patched image file exists and can be read, it's a pretty safe bet things worked. There's also a log you can look at in the patch directory to see what it did. There are a lot of steps to comb through, though.
bongchoof

Post by bongchoof »

ill try out the bug. the first few times i tried to patch i tried it without selecting a patched image because i didnt know what that was (i still dont) when hitting apply patch i never got an error message. instead it just verified the disc forever. all in all, an incredibly frustrating process
bongchoof

Post by bongchoof »

also, is the bug your referring to being able to rest for free?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I don't know what to tell you. I can't get it to start trying patch without something being in that field, and I just downloaded the Git repository today to see if I'd checked in something wrong. If you took some special set of steps to get around that, tell me what it was and I'll change the edit so nobody else can get around it. In any case, if you'd read the readme.html from the start, you would have been better off.

Did you accidentally download an older version maybe? At one time I'd forgotten to mark that text-box as read-only, and someone got around the edits by just copying and pasting the source image path. Edit: Oh, the version on this site is way out of date versus the Git repo. I'll have to get that replaced.

Yes, it's where you can rest for free by backing out of the save menu.
bongchoof

Post by bongchoof »

yeah i didnt have the readme i had to look around for it
suikokid2

Post by suikokid2 »

Does anyone know what bugs are still in the Suikoden 2 PSP Port version of the game and what bugs arent?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

All of them, basically. They fixed the Matilda Glitch, but didn't bother with anything else. Oh, and it won't have the missing songs either, since it's Japanese only, and I don't see any reason why they would have even retained that bug with a remaster of the NA version.

If this is an extension of your lengthy pants-crapping expedition regarding audio issues with spells, I have no idea. I doubt those bugs are present. To be honest, I'm not sure if they happen on the Japanese PS version.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Kindness Rune underflow does not work in either the PSP or PC versions. It's not clear that they patched it necessarily, it just might not work the same way on the other architectures. There was at least one or two other significant bugs that didn't work when I was playing through the PSP version, but I don't recall them now.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

To be honest, I didn't test every single bug when I wrote the guide. Kindness underflow for example I probably didn't even think of, I just checked the obvious ones like farm items not displaying, recipes, the sheep in the forest with the same ID# as a chest etc and drew a conclusion from those not being fixed and the PSP ports being pretty awful in general.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, like Omnigamer said, the Kindness underflow can conceivably be fixed by recompiling. In theory, it wouldn't even need to be for a different architecture, just a better compiler that automatically prevents you from doing things like that by accident, or issues a warning that they felt like clearing. They probably inadvertently fixed the Level 99 recruiting issue the same way. It's possible the castle armory underflow doesn't work anymore either. And the sound and window set bugs could have been fixed by recompilation, maybe. I once had a theory that those were #extern issues, but IIRC they exist in all versions on the PS, and it's unlikely they'd preserve the same build mistake 7 times by accident.