Bug Fixes

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Bug Fixes

Post by Pyriel »

OK, the big issue, and it didn't really click because I loaded a save past the earliest part of the scenario, is that you give Nanami an alias, which is macro 005 (05 05). I don't think it's ever used once. In fact, Nina repeatedly calls her Nanami and that's a hard-coded value in the text. Given that, I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. It's not really a bug, so much as a plot hole the writers created, and tried to plug with the solitary pebble of one line of dialogue that references one of the characters' aliases.

It's not difficult to make the fixes. It's just a ton of small changes that need to occur in 15-30 different places, and then it has to be tested in multiple ways to make sure nothing was missed this time around, and that it makes sense. I was originally thinking it was appropriate for Nanami to constantly call the hero by his real name because she's not exactly secret agent material, and when Flik does it, the area is usually fairly private. But if people are going to refer to Nanami as Beth (or whatever), and she's going to respond to it naturally, that throws a bit of a wrench in that interpretation.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

I've always wondered why those alter names were not used ever. Of course we don't know whether this was intended or not, but I guess it is an oversight. Perhaps they messed with it during the localization.

Are you adding the patches for Greminster rune shop and the rune transfer as well?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

If it was correct in Japan, the strings would have had the NameXX macros in them, however those were implemented in the actual script engine. Somebody would have had to make a choice to remove them, and I have trouble seeing why they would, given the quality of the translations. Looking at one of the strings in the Japanese version, I find:
「うん、だようぶ。
OKよ。
えつと▪▪▪ナナミちやん、だよね。」

Which google translate tells me is:
"Yeah, but the lumbar region.
OK.
Yue and the yan Chi ▪▪▪ Nanami, huh."

Which, whatever. The "Nanami" is clearly hard-coded, though. There isn't a reference to any non-display character other than newline.

Yeah, those patches are already in the Git repository (NA only). I'll create a new package for this site once I've ported at least the more critical ones to other regions that need them. For example, that Gremio bug if it isn't NA only.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

It says
"Yeah, that's fine.
Ok then.
So... you're Nanami right?"

Which I think is Nina's line after Nanami affirms she's not into Flik, but I always assumed Nina overheard her being called by her real name, though ironically the only time she is near them to overhear Flik does call her "Beth" though he goofs Riou.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, that's when that line occurs, and I always assumed the same thing. Either during that same conversation, or a similar one a day later, Nina's standing right by them when Nanami calls the hero by his real name. I always assumed the characters' ineptitude was somewhat intentional. However, going through it while keeping an eye out for occurrences of different names leads me to believe the writers also just forgot part way through the scenario.

It might be worth changing Emilia's one line, since she's the only one in the academy I've seen using the aliases in the first place. Beyond that, it gets fairly murky. I have to think they intended the aliases to see a bit more use, or there was little point in wasting space in the save file. But none of the lines they wrote after a certain point appear to contain any subterfuge, and the characters don't even reference the fact that they're abandoning it either permanently or temporarily.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Regarding Turtle Plans #4, I made a code (80112028 0000) that ensures the Plan will be 1st Prize if it's available while testing. The way they did this is bizarre. They have several arrays of items that can be prizes, but rather than creating some control data that describes the chances and requirements and looping through them, they just hard-code each index in the logic and repeat the process until one of them hits, and then repeat for every level of prize. Which makes it doubly weird that they didn't check for the Turtle Plans right. Anyway, they went to the trouble to code a bag/warehouse/party/character check for the item, but they don't check the flags at all. So as soon as you hand the plans to Jude, you can get the plans again.

If I'm reading this right, the process will try to give you the Plans, then the Dog Whistle, then Millet Dumplings. Each one is checked to see if you already have a copy in your inventory, and you aren't allowed to receive it if you do. After that, you can get as many Taikiyoku Wears, Goldlets, Gold Bars or Celadon Urns as you can carry, if the digits come up right.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Fixes added to the repository for Emilia's dialog (done for consistency more than accuracy), the Rope Climb game giving extra plans, and an updated fix for the Inn Bug that shifts the first heal to a later point in the Inn menus rather than removing it. There's a redundant call later that ensures your party is healed when you get control back after your stay, but it occurs after the save is written. So with the old fix, if you immediately quit after saving, the file you'd load would reset your party's HP and MP to prior values. You can't exit the save menu without paying and staying, so that heal now occurs as you call up the save menu, rather than when the "Don't Save/Save" menu comes up.

I'll be going mostly dark again for a couple of months, so this will probably be the last set of updates for a while.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I dug up my project for a text-ripper to kill time while jobs are running at work, and it was closer to finished than I thought. I just had to fix a couple of things, and make it a little looser in what it guesses is text. I believe this is the untranslated text in Tinto.

VG18/VG08
Array b
80169fb8 030: 「あとひといきですな{Chara 000}どの。{eol}これまで通り、{eol}武器、防具のことは{eol}われわれにおまかせください。」
80169ff0 031: 「がんばつてね、お兄さん。」

I know Lilly just says "good luck" basically. Gustav says something about letting Tinto handle armor? I can't make it out.

Quite a bit of untranslated text was left behind in the scenario/area files, but most of it falls into the place holder category. A typical example is "番人セリフ99", which is "Guard Speech 99" or something like that. Evidently, they had planned on the Matilda Guards and North Sparrow Guards talking a lot. Then there's "Villager Speech XX", etc, and some of them are explicitly marked "unused", which is weird. VB12 also contains a lot of untranslated squirrel noises for some reason.

VD02 (Kuskus, Radat, South Window area)
801155cc 005: 「キバ搓の命令でな、{eol}自由にとおることはできないんだ。」
80115684 009: 「キバ搓の命令でここは通せない。」

VE07 (Greenhill)
8011e684 006: 「はい。」
8011e68c 007: 「はい。」
Just "Hai" twice I guess.

The VH (Lakewest, Kobold Village, Two River, Unicorn Forest) area is lousy with untranslated text. They might have abandoned a scenario in the Forest or something.

VI01 (Rockaxe and Matilda areas)
「お客さん、{eol}買い物なら表にまわつてもらわないと、{eol}こまりますよ。」

That's something about shopping, so I'm guessing it's the untranslated text in the armory. Then again in
VI08
801687c0 013: 「お客さん、{eol}買い物なら表にまわつてもらわないと、{eol}こまりますよ。」
8016b4dc 039: 「からくり丸 ガ ココヲ{eol}ガード、{eol}オマエタチハ ハタ ヲ ゲット!!!」

VI15/VI13
80117abc 028: 「ハンフリーさん、どうして▪▪▪▪▪▪▪」

Something from the Mt. Rakutei events, I think. Not very revealing.

VJ16 (L'Renouille, Sajah, bits of Muse)
80112d80 043: 「行くぞ▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪」
80113810 109: 「だめだ!!{eol}そんなのだめだ!!!!{eol}っれてかえるぞ!!!!!{eol}隊長命令だぞ!!!」

VK04.BIN (Headquarters)
80165980 010: 「マクシミリアンLV3以上(消えている)」
VK05.BIN.txt
80165450 010: 「マクシミリアンLV3以上(消えている)」
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Think you've made some mistake with your Japanese extractor? The つ in both えつと▪▪▪ and 「がんばつて should be smaller case, e.g. えっと and がんばって to make proper sense. But maybe it's the script that's funky.

And what the hell is "Maximillian Lv3 or more (vanished)" supposed to be?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Maybe a placeholder for a line of dialogue that appears when you have recruited Max and your castle Level is 3 or higher? But then they decided to not include it.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Think you've made some mistake with your Japanese extractor? The つ in both えつと▪▪▪ and 「がんばつて should be smaller case, e.g. えっと and がんばって to make proper sense. But maybe it's the script that's funky.
I'd say so. Even today I'm barely cognizant of the difference, and my conversion table was built mostly by running slices of the font bitmap through a Japanese OCR program. If it didn't detect the character was smaller, I surely wouldn't have. Especially when it's only 8x8 pixels.

Edit: I have "つ" at position 0x45 and "っ" at 0x57, and no duplicates of either. I might have swapped them, but the script could also be funky. Is the right character used here: 「だめだ!!{eol}そんなのだめだ!!!!{eol}っれてかえるぞ!!!!!{eol}隊長命令だぞ!!!」?
Raww Le Klueze wrote:And what the hell is "Maximillian Lv3 or more (vanished)" supposed to be?
It's in the same array as a lot of the post-game speech. I can't say much beyond that, though.

I ran my extractor against the EU English version and those lines were translated, so I have whatever Gustav says about "just one more push and let us handle the weapons and armor" and Lilly's line in the patch. I changed Lilly's line a bit. They translated it as, "Hang in there, brother", which makes her sound more like an activist or a soldier or something than a little girl. So I just threw a "big" in there.
Last edited by Pyriel on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

...logging back in caused a double-post somehow
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

By my estimate that one should be upper case instead, assuming eol is data for a line break or something, it wouldn't start on a lower case. With upper case that line reads something like "I'm taking you home!!!"

Edit: Oh that's Gengen's untranslted line in L'Renouille isn't it? Yeah it's definately supposed to be upper case.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Swapped 'em then. Thanks.

I was slightly confused by the lowercase thing, and had look up how that works. That's an interesting reuse of a character there.

It's amazing how much Google Translate is affected by the extraneous punctuation. Without it, the translation is two or three corrections from making some sort of sense. With it, it's just "useless to bring Captain Instruction Frog" or something.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I'm sure in the history of people playing this game, this has been seen before, but I've never seen it mentioned. How many people would take Gadget and then put him far-left in the back row? He says: "Gadget will guard this area. You two proceed toward flag."