Bug Fixes

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Bug Fixes

Post by Pyriel »

suikokid2 wrote:I was just showing it is listed on the site.
I was talking about the PSP differences guide (here). That GS2 secrets page was written something like 10 years before the PSP version came out. You'll notice it says the Matilda Glitch is there as well, with no exception mentioned for the PSP remake. Someone could amend it, if they have the time, to mention places where the PSP version differs. Assuming there are other places. But in general, the reason that PSP differences guide exists is to provide the information without having to comb through every page on the site, adding version-specific qualifier in who knows how many places.

You can suggest such fixes in the Website Forum, typically in the miscellaneous errors thread. Bearing in mind that this is a community maintained resource, and the universe isn't somehow broken if a 10-year-old page wasn't immediately updated, or if the information provided isn't exhaustive and immaculate.
Swordmaster

Post by Swordmaster »

Found something very odd today. Unequipped Chaco's Sun Badge, and he can't re-equip it. Is this normal? I reloaded to get a screen shot of it greyed out in Chaco's equip menu.

Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah, according to the equipment guide, he can't equip it. Once you unequip it, that's it.
https://www.suikosource.com/games/gs2/guides/armor.php
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Most likely they decided Chaco wasn't youthful enough for badges, and didn't correct his starting equipment. There's an outside chance he's been wearing it since he was a kid, and taking it off permanently is some sort of symbolism. I doubt it, but that's probably the half-joking answer you'd get if you asked any of the developers.
Swordmaster

Post by Swordmaster »

lol, that's so strange. I can't believe I never noticed this the millions of times I've been through this game. Thanks for the explanations, guys.
Swordmaster

Post by Swordmaster »

Noticed two oddities at Gregminster. I've been using a code that was listed in the Gameshark Codes thread for 9 of every Rare Find. The code works everywhere except one place, Gregminster Rune Shop. Anyone know why that is? Seems strange to me.

The other thing was right after recruiting Lorelai (with Killey, for extra dialog). Told her to come with us, went into the menu and no matter what I do the game crashes as soon as I exit the menu. If I walk into a building first, the crash doesn't happen. If I tell her to go to HQ, the crash doesn't happen. Also, I get this error message:

"Error running ePSXe
unknown opcode BDBAA27A at 8000009C"

I don't know if I did something weird or if this is some sort of known bug? Any thoughts? I kept the state, if that helps. I'll hold onto that save, too, just in case.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

As to the code, if it has a line that starts with a "5" in it, that's what's sometimes referred to as a "slide" code. It just writes the same value to many places in memory. It probably just doesn't write to enough places to cover that shop's rare finds.

That error in the emulator usually means there was garbage interpreted as code somewhere. It's possible you triggered dialog that doesn't exist, like when Gremio speaks gibberish in Banner. However, the fact that going into a building fixes it implies something more like the Tinto glitch, where a module was split during localization, the wrong copy gets loaded because something was missed, and the current state of the game can't be properly handled.

If you're running with the patch, can you try the scenario after loading your save using an unpatched copy of the game? So far as I can recall, the only patch applied to Gregminster was a byte or two that made the rare finds in one shop hit against the right timer and inventory regardless of where you were standing when you talked to the shopkeeper. It shouldn't affect anything else, but I'd like to rule out the patch before we start investigating a potentially new bug. Also, turn off the code, in case it's doing something undesirable.
Swordmaster

Post by Swordmaster »

Hmm.... Well, I just retraced my steps. Loaded my save, no codes at all, vanilla Suikoden II, same crash. It's not from the patch, it's not because of a save state, and it's not from any code (unless the damage was done a long time ago, maybe?).

Notes: Brought both Kasumi and Killey, tried to recruit Lorelai immediately after McDohl event. Also, died on purpose during boss fight to witness Forgiver Sign. (Not sure if any of this had anything to do with it.)

I'm going to try one more thing. I'll completely finish McDohl quest to dump Gremio from convoy, see if that changes anything.

Edit: Ok, nevermind. Saving and loading right before recruiting Lorelai fixes the issue. No more crash, both vanilla and patched. Could it be something broke in RAM somewhere between the Worm boss fight, Kasumi & McDohl bonus event, and Killey & Lorelai bonus event?
Swordmaster

Post by Swordmaster »

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to report this a while back. One instance of "Circuret" was possibly overlooked. (Not that it is at all important...)

Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

It's possible that there's some upstream corruption going that far back, but it's more likely you took a slightly different path through the events. If you can upload your memory card, I'll see if I can recreate it.

Something I forgot about earlier, but we also have the crash in Greenhill when you choose an unlikely option during the scenario, and then immediately change your mind in the next prompt. I don't know if anybody had ever reported that one until Omnigamer experienced it in a speedrun. That was just due to an omitted "release handle" command of some sort.
Swordmaster

Post by Swordmaster »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqzwro6obs9ai ... I.mcr?dl=0

I think that's how it works... If that didn't work, let me know. Save Game 2 is the one you want. It's right before the Worm boss fight. Time is low because of a code to zero it out for Clive Quest. Heh.
macielthiago

Post by macielthiago »

Hi, are you still interested in updating the patch? I am playing again to take notes of things that may need a fix.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I don't think it's worth making a new topic about this.

I was going through Pyrie'sl game script and found some untranslated bits from VH14 -VH16. I'll post them below. Use google translate if you need to:

VH14:

Dialog Addresses 13 (10)
80169bac 000: 「ところで、ガボチヤ{eol}忘れ物つて、なんなんだな
80169bc8 001: 「ゲンゲンさんにも見せてあげますんで{eol}楽しみにしててくださいね」
80169bec 002: 「ひひひひひ▪▪▪▪{eol}おいっいてみろ」
80169c00 003: 「こつちだぞ、ひひひひひ」
80169c10 004: 「はやく追つかけないと、{eol}逃げられちやいますよ、{eol}{Chara 000}さん」
80169c34 005: 「っれてきたぜ{eol}おつさん」
80169c44 006: 「いやー、お待ちしておりました、{eol}{Chara 000}殿{cont}突黙、街中にペストラットが現れてきたので、{eol}びつくりしてしまいました。{cont}街から出れないように、我々で、{eol}包回しておりますので、{eol}退治していただけないでしようか」
80169cbc 007: 「まかしておきなよ、おつさん」
80169ccc 008: 「ごくろうさまでした、チヤコ君」
80169ce0 009: 「ごくろうだつたな、チヤコ」

VH15:

Dialog Addresses 5 (17)
8011bdb4 000: 「ひひひ▪▪▪」
8011bdc0 001: 「どつちに行つてんだ?{eol}目の前を通つたのにきづかなかつたのか?{eol}ひひひひ」
8011bdec 002: 「いじわるしないでかえしてください」
8011be00 003: 「そうなんだな、はやくかえすんだな」
8011be14 004: 「とつとと、おいっいてみな」
8011be24 005: 「コボルトの兵士は、ゆうしゆうだから{eol}すぐに追いっいっくんだな」
8011be48 006: 「ひつひつひつひつ{cont}ひ▪▪▪▪▪▪▪」
8011be5c 007: 「たいへんだ!!!{eol}たいへんだ!!!」
8011be70 008: 「{Chara 000}大変だよ、ペストラットが、{eol}トゥーリバーの街中にわいてきちやつたよ!!」
8011be9c 009: 「なんだつて」
8011bea4 010: 「ところで、ガボチヤの忘れ物は▪▪▪」
8011bebc 011: 「ほら{Chara 000}はやく、はやく!!」
8011becc 012: 「今はそんな事言つてる掲合ではないのだ」
8011bee8 013: 「ゲンゲンさんかつこいいです」
8011bef8 014: 「ひひひひ▪▪▪▪」
8011bf04 015: 「ひーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー」
8011bf1c 016: 「いそぐのだ」

VH16:

Dialog Addresses 15 (24)
801194a8 000: 「ゲンゲンさん、どうもすいません。{eol}忘れ物をとりにきただけなのに、{eol}いつしよに来てもらつちやつて。」
801194e0 001: 「気にするな、ガボチヤにもしものことがあつたら{eol}たいへんだからな。」
80119504 002: 「あつ、{Chara 000}さん。{eol}どうしたんですか、こんなところで。{eol}ガボチヤは事に忘れ物をとりにきたんです。」
8011953c 003: 「おう、{Chara 000}、ゲンゲンは{eol}ガボチヤが心配だつたからっいてきたのだ。」
80119564 004: 「忘れ物つてなに?」
80119574 005: 「そういえばここはガボチヤの事だつたよね。」
8011958c 006: 「えつとねえ、これなんですけど▪▪▪。」
801195a4 007: 「そうなんですよ。{eol}なんかひさしぶりに帰つてきましたよ。」
801195c4 008: 「ふふ▪▪▪▪ふふふ▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪。」
801195dc 009: 「うわあ!」
801195e4 010: 「なんだ!」
801195ec 011: 「ふふ▪▪▪▪ふふふ▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪、{eol}なんだか知らないがこれもらつてくぞー。{eol}ふふ▪▪▪▪ふふふ▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪。」
8011962c Unknown sequence 0x09 found in string.012: 「{Delay 001}え▪▪え▪▪え▪▪、{09}あれ!」
80119640 013: 「くやしかつたらとりかえしてみなーー!」
80119658 014: 「かえしてよーーー!!」
80119668 015: 「こらー、かえせーー!!」
80119678 Unknown sequence 0x09 found in string.016: 「どうしよう{Delay 000}▪▪▪{eol}{09}そうだ、{Chara 000}さん!{eol}とりもどすの手伝つてください、{eol}おねがいします。」
801196ac 017: 「ゲンゲンからもおねがいするぞー。{eol}みんなでとりかえしに行くんだーーー!!」
801196d4 018: 「ところで、何をとられたの?」
801196e8 019: 「よし、いそいで追いかけよう!」
801196fc 020: 「あとで話しますんで早く行きましよう!」
80119714 021: 「はい、ゲンゲンさんもお鹿いします。」
8011972c 022: 「{Chara 000}さん、{eol}はやく追つかけないと、逃げられちやいますよ。」
80119750 023: 「へへつ、早いとこ退治しちやおうぜ。」

Google translate seems to suggest they are suppose be to used in the Kobold Village (some allusion of Kobold used with Gengen and Gabocha). What's particularly interesting is in VH16, between Gengen and Gabocha, the latter is supposed to receive something.

I don't recall anything else from Gabocha in game so does anyone knows where the event correspond to? There are some other untranslated bits but it has been well documented on the wiki already.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I don't object to it being here, but it might fit better into the reverse-engineering thread.

As far as I'm aware, VH13-VH17 don't correspond to a loadable area. That's not to say the files are unused, but the mechanisms I know about for locating and loading area/scenario files are unaware of those particular modules. They may be defunct, or they may be loaded at certain times by a different mechanism.

Just by how they're labeled, that would be the Lakewest—Two River region, which includes the Kobold village. I vaguely recall a rumor or bit of trivia that suggested there was once more to those areas, so this could be the remnants of that. I'll have to do some refreshing, but I might be able to get the files to load, and drop the main character in, if they're in any fit state. The dialogue would just be gibberish, but it's an easy way to tell if these are cut areas, or just places where they cloned modules/areas.

I think it's the "clone" one. One of their localization issues is that they only allocated just over 300 KB for these modules, and if the translation pushed that out, or appeared that it was going to push beyond that, they'd have to make a copy and split the scripts up somehow. That's what leads to the Tinto Glitch. The original file was translated, and used as a base for the Tinto location, and much of the scenario, but the events around Jess sending out troops were split into a separate module when the original got too large. The second module doesn't exist in the Japanese version, and that's the case with everything from VH13 to VH17, and the couple of modules I've checked so far appear to be copies of earlier files.

Having said that, I don't even find any of those lines in the Japanese version, so the NA team may have been handed some files and data that were cut. I was thinking it may have been unreferenced text from the original files that just got left in the copies after they realized the copies were unnecessary, and they therefore didn't bother optimizing or removing unused data. Now it seems like something else is going on. I can't imagine they would have edited Japanese text to change the Japanese just for fun, so it's fairly likely that the lines not being in the Japanese release indicates the NA team was handed some unnecessary files or a slightly out-of-date build. I also checked the EU English version, since they occasionally spotted and translated text that was missed in the NA localization, and, while the lines exist in that file, they weren't translated.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Just wanted to add that H12 is the last area entry for the Chinese version as well. This doesn't say much other than that version didn't include any of these extra files (also isn't encumbered with filesize limits), but it's another supporting piece that those files are likely from an earlier beta rather than... well, anything else.