[Codes] Gameshark codes

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: [Codes] Gameshark codes

Post by wataru14 »

Is there a code that will allow you to alter your castle level? Not necessarily change the layout, but that will allow you to recruit characters that have a "castle level X" requirement?
Ranadiel

Post by Ranadiel »

Hello all! Recent lurker, first time poster!

After being a fan of the first Suikoden game, I finally, finally decided to give Suikoden 2 a whirl, and the game did not disappoint. However, there are a few things I'd like to try with PEC/Gameshark codes, and wanted to know if they were possible.

First, is there a way to expand Jeane's Rune Shop inventory in a similar way that Hans' Shop can be expanded to include a full list of the game's available runes with a Gameshark code?

Secondly, I wanted to know if there was a way to modify Luca Blight's name, as it appears in game - how his name appears when he is talking (blue font under character portrait), when someone is referring to him in regular dialogue, and the name of his military unit. Likewise, can this be done for Jowy? I like to rename him "Cody" (I name the main character Guy; Cody as a friend-turned-rival seemed appropriate) but so far all I've been successful with is changing his name using the standard name modifier codes, which alters it when he's talking, at the party menu and battle menus, but not when people refer to him.

Also, are there codes available for the first series of Major Battles that will allow you to manually control all of your units (Flik's, Viktor's, etc) instead of simply yours, and the couple you are given command over?

One other thing I'd always wanted to do, but so far haven't been able to find an existing Gameshark code that allowed it, was a way to remove Riou from the active party that participates in standard battles. One example of how I'd want to do it is simply being able to add/remove him at Leona's bar. Another way I'd like to do it is to be able to figure out a way to make the "Formation" option open up the party formation window that includes the Convoy (this is normally only available during certain parts of the story) - being able to put a couple of reserve members, including the main character, into the convoy would be a pretty awesome feature in my opinion. Is something like this even feasible?

Last but not least, I thought I had read on this board recently that there was an ongoing effort to correct the slew of grammar, spelling, and overall hit-or-miss translation of the game's dialogue. Is this still a work in progress, or is there already a completed version and a patch I can use?

Thanks!
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

1. Jeane's shop - It's most likely possible. It just hasn't been done yet.
  2. Altering names - You can, but it's not simple. For their own reasons, Konami opted to embed the names into the dialogue, and only a few are dynamically inserted by the script commands. Hence, Jowy is occasionally called, "Joei", in the US version (maybe others). Different translators did different things, or it wasn't obvious that the character they'd decided was "Jowy" was being referenced. There are about 122 files where Jowy's name occurs, spelled correctly. If you really want to rename him Cody, it can be done with a search and replace, since you aren't lengthening or shortening the name. I'm not really interested in customizing the patch for something like that, but you can pretty easily add it to the patch's Lua script, if you know the language. The basic method is the same as the corrections for "Circuret" and "Gozz". The only thing is that you can't just pad with NULLs as I did because you'll truncate dialogue, but your change doesn't require that anyway.
  3. Major battle control - No. The major battles are pretty pointless anyway, so other than infinite attacks, movement, and so forth nobody's really looked into them.
  4. Removing Riou - It's possible to alter the party with codes, and I think they exist somewhere. It's inadvisable to remove Riou, though, as the game is liable to crash without warning. There's so much cross-talk in the scripting for this game that it doesn't respond very well to anything out of the ordinary.
  5. Dialog fixes - It's been discussed, and some plans were laid. I haven't been too active with the patch for a while, so, no there isn't a patch that does that, and it's on the shelf for the time being.
Ranadiel

Post by Ranadiel »

Thanks for the reply Pyriel. If I was interested in learning more about how to do shop alterations and name alterations using the method you suggested, where would be the best place to start? Are there any "how to" resources available online?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I made a topic on Game Mechanics ages ago, that sort of evolved into a class on hacking/reverse-engineering the game.

As far as guides go, I sort of need a resumé from you, so I have some idea where you're starting from. Do you have any experience with programming, scripting, reverse-engineering, etc? Do you know what hexadecimal is?
Ranadiel

Post by Ranadiel »

I am familiar, though it takes me awhile to get comfortable with new methods and programs. Back when I was using the ZSNES, I changed a lot of values in the games I had using a hex editor... UltraEdit, I think it was. Right now I use epsxe with PEC, which I'm sure you need no introduction to. I also used to write mods for Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age, some of which were pretty script-heavy.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

For changing the name, you can just use the framework in my patch: http://suikodenbugfixes.wikispaces.com/ ... atch+Files I already do similar things with the Gozz Rune, Circuret, and True Holy Rune. It's up to you if you want to limit the searches to known files the way I did. I was using the script often enough that limiting it to ~10% of the thousand files on the disc was worth the trouble.

As far as hacking goes, you'll want to learn MIPS assembly, and you'll need a disassembler such as PS2Dis (free) or IDA (expensive). There are free courses online that teach MIPS, or you can disassemble something and dive right in. If you've never used an assembly language before, the latter may be a bit of a trial. Learning how to interpret people's code and how to write your own are strongly linked, and most people approach it from both directions eventually.
Ranadiel

Post by Ranadiel »

Thank you for the advice and the resources. The more I think about it, what I'd really want to do first is alter Jeane's Shop so that it has a full list of runes. I love how Suikoden 2 allows you to access all party members as you're buying equipment, sharpening weapons and attaching runes, but it absolutely annoys the hell out of me to have to keep going city to city to have to acquire the runes I want and that Jeane's inventory never actually expands.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Castle Rune Shop Sells All Runes
D010F450 549C
8010F458 019C
D010F450 549C
8010F45A 3405
D010F450 549C
8010F46C 0067
D010F450 549C
8010F46E 3411
D010F450 549C
8010F48C 0002
D010F450 549C
8010F48E 3404
D010F450 549C
8010F49C 2021
D010F450 549C
8010F49E 0010

Uses the same method as the Armory code. Unfortunately, that causes a bunch of dummy entries to appear because of the gaps in the rune list )like between Dryad and Trick, and between the spell runes and weapon-only runes). One fix for this is a rather longer code that adds individual items to the lists. There are 15 list that are all un-duplicated and merged into one inventory when the Rune Shop loads. They start at 0x801169F4, and end at 0x80116A7F. At two bytes per rune, that leaves space for 70 runes. There are 87 runes in the game, but you can exclude Godspeed, Soul Eater, Black Sword, Bright Shield, Trick, Shrike, Falcon, and most other Rune that sell for zero potch, or that are usually only available as permanently affixed runes. Jeane can't attach those, so that gets the list down to something that might fit with a little trimming. It makes the code sort of long, though. A longer code could be made to loop through 1 - 0x67, and exclude certain values, but all of this just makes the code impractically long. Probably the best thing is to use it like this, and just avoid the 0 potch or odd looking entries.
Ranadiel

Post by Ranadiel »

Awesome man!
knight85

Post by knight85 »

any chance of getting a code to get the item shop to sell all items?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Something can be done, but I doubt the list of items would satisfy everyone using a technique like this. The item values are all over the place, so just including all the mundane stuff would wind up including several story items and things that are either useless, or that should remain unique. If you want it to sell food and antiques, that makes it even more difficult.
knight85

Post by knight85 »

it was mostly just food i was after. i never had the patience for mini games.

but i wouldnt mind antiques. it would save me a whole lot of hassle for getting the celadon urn
Ranadiel

Post by Ranadiel »

Does anyone know if there are existing codes out there that allow you to add/remove characters to the Major Battle reserve unit list? I'm specifically wanting to add Jowy1 and Nanami, but any information on manipulating this would be helpful.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

All that stuff is hard-coded into the various WAR*.BIN files. Unless those units happen to be in the files for the battles you want to add them to, there's no way to do it with a code.