[Discussion] Ways to make Suikoden II more challenging

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
miggypig

Post by miggypig »

Ideas:

1) Get only the forced to get characters. Do not get ppl like Mazus.
2) Run and bribe world map battles.
3) Permanent Runes allowed.
4) No new equipment.
5) No sharpening or embing weapons.
6) Small number of party characters.
7) No unites.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Beleive me there are many ways to make it harder and even though they may seem extreem they are still possible.Just look at the Final Fantasy X no sphere no overdrive no summons initial equipment guide at Gamefaqs.The guy has BEATEN the game using the character just like they where at the BEGINING of the game!With no summons or overdrives.I don't understand how thats possible...

For Suikoden 3:No skill increase,initial equipment,no runes(exept permanent effect runes but no command or spells!)or maybe just kill of( or just don't put any) party members before battling.
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

For me , amking Suiko2 hard, I just used Physical attacking characters (like Valeria and Viktor) to fight bosses and stuff, without using Double-Strike or Fury runes. I also did'nt use Unites and Rune spells (not even Riou's Bright Shield Rune). It was pretty tough only using attacks instead of magic and unites, but it was kind of fun. :)
Omaik

Post by Omaik »

I dont know if these were suggested before, but:

-Using all beast characters (shiro, feather, etc), they cant equip anything, right?

-using just one rune per cheracter, no magic runes and cant repeat runes.

-Using only magicians - but without magic, just their physical attack and can only use the weapon slot.

-Only using one row.. meaning only using 3 characters, all the same type (3 mages or 3 warriors). If warriors, then you cant use magic. If mages, you only can use magic, unless you run out of spells.

Some choices are more difficult than others, but i was thinking about "more interesting" too. I think ill try the beasts one and the 3-mages one.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

Limiting Customization: May only do these things - Sharpen weapons, Use Recovery items/ scrolls. No armor changing or putting defense, speed, etc enhacing accessories in the 3 slots. No rune changing/Adding.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

nuSeed wrote:Limiting Customization: May only do these things - Sharpen weapons, Use Recovery items/ scrolls. No armor changing or putting defense, speed, etc enhacing accessories in the 3 slots. No rune changing/Adding.

Best thing...Only attacking, no defending no items exept normal potions, no command or effect runes.If effect rune permanent on character then not use character, also no magic..

In other words just attack...

Its possible...You can beat MGS3 on European Extreme( like extremem mode but if your seen its game over) in 3 hours with NO kills and no special items.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

Suikoden II is not MGS3, just for your information. Putting together my most recent suggestions and yours would make the game very difficult indeed.
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

nuSeed wrote:Limiting Customization: May only do these things - Sharpen weapons, Use Recovery items/ scrolls. No armor changing or putting defense, speed, etc enhacing accessories in the 3 slots. No rune changing/Adding.
Could you then create scrolls? Crush flowing runes into kindness rains? Silent Lake scrolls would be a great help against bosses since you're not using magic.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

Yeah scrolls are usable items so those would be allowed.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

You can't make Silent Lake scrolls, I'm afraid. You can make scrolls of the first three spells of every rune.
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

highwind44029 wrote:You can't make Silent Lake scrolls, I'm afraid. You can make scrolls of the first three spells of every rune.
Would not a Flowing rune become silent lake scrolls ( 3rd level spell )? Or does flowing become the same as water?
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Same scrolls for Flowing and Water, just more of them.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Yeah. What Jowy Atreides said. Sorry if I wasn't being clear. :oops:
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

Another way to make the game more difficult is the way I played it for a short while when I had to cross the forest to Toran for the second time.

Just chose "Auto" for every battle and the characters will only fight, fight, fight, only with physical attacks. Playing the game only to do physical attacks will be really hard : no healings, no magics, etc. But you are allowed to sharpen, equip yourself etc.

Make an exception when you have to kill evil Luca !

And off couse, the only way to heal yourself is to sleep in a Inn.
Well, in the end I should have dated Tir before the end of the war...
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Scrolls aren't very useful.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.