Extracting music SEQ files and converting to MIDI...?

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
wladodragovic

Extracting music SEQ files and converting to MIDI...?

Post by wladodragovic »

Hi, everybody!
I haven't been active here in a long time, but I'm always glad to visit this wonderful community! :)

As the title suggests, I'm interested in extracting the music sequence (.SEQ) files from the game and converting them to MIDI, to learn more about the game music.
I've tracked down the original music .PSF files online, ripped by some obviously capable people, but after hours of research and trial and error, I haven't managed to get anywhere.

I tried using VGMToolbox, but I only managed to extract .DATA.BIN files which, IMO, are just the sound fonts, not the actual sequences.
The VGMTrans tool also hasn't helped much.
It could be that I just don't know how to use these tools... :)

Any information would be of great help!

Addendum: I've been in love with the first two games and Miki Higashino's soundtrack from my early childhood and I just can't get enough of it.
I would also love to be able to extract/convert the MIDI from the first game as well, but most of it seems to be just .XA files, which are basically .WAV files, so no luck there... But I hope there's still a chance for the Suikoden II .PSF files! :)

Thanks in advance! <3
Fedexer97

Re: Extracting music SEQ files and converting to MIDI...?

Post by Fedexer97 »

Did you find any ways? I'm interested in this too, thanks
nanami999

Post by nanami999 »

I'm also interested !
I've been searching for ages for the midi file Heart softening BGM 3. I can't find it anywhere so I was looking for a way to extract the SEQ myself then convert it. I've tried the same tools as you, and I was not successful either :/
Fedexer97

Post by Fedexer97 »

Anyone found a method?
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I did this last year to learn one of the tunes and used chordify. I just pasted in a YouTube video of the tune, I didn't do anything related to the game disc. I'm not sure if this matches exactly what you want to do but it worked well for me.