Bug Fixes

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
SCM

Re: Bug Fixes

Postby SCM » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:40 pm

So I assume that renaming the file by adding the extension ".bin" after the patching won't harm the process in any way. It just immediately changed into BIN after I pasted the extension and both games work fine. I even did a quick test by patching the first Suikoden again but this time with the ".bin" extension and there is no difference between the files. So I hope and it looks like I didn't really screw it.

As for the CUE I was wrong - emulators recognize it and run the patched game but it is not possible to mount it in the DAEMON Tools Lite (it tells that the file is missing), unless there is a way to connect those files. Same goes for patched Suikogaiden games.

So the downside of patching is that you can't use the patched game in POPS emulator for PS2 as you need BIN + CUE for that. That's not really a problem for me, I was planning on using PC emulator anyway.

BTW, I just tried Suikoden II and man, it's so smooth. For the last few years I was playing this game, the PAL version was the definitive one for me, despite the slowdown. To think that now I will be able to play the ultimate NTSC version without the glitches, that's just wonderful.

Pyriel
Webmaster

Postby Pyriel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Nah, file extensions are just for convenience. The warning Windows gives you is mostly to alert you that, for example, renaming a .jpg to .txt will screw things up, since the default application for a text file is generally not so good for opening images. Or in this case, taking the .bin off leaves the emulator unable to guess what sort of image it should be loading.

CUE files are just plaintext. I don't know if you're already creating them yourself or not, but one of the first lines in the file will be FILE="my.bin" or something like that. If you rename the CUE file, loading it will still load whatever image the CUE indicates, unless somebody has an implementation that just ignores the FILE directive and looks for a .bin with the same name. In any case, there ought to be a way to construct a CUE file that will work without too much trouble. In my experience, CUE files are rarely necessary, though. Although, I don't recall if Daemon is touchy about BIN files since they might not be disc images.

SCM

Postby SCM » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:40 am

Thank you for dispelling my concerns about the file extensions, now I know how things work and I don't need to worry.

As for the CUE, I just did as you said - opened the file in notepad, changed the name in FILE="my.bin" and it works! And it is still CUE file even when I save it as ".txt" (I saved it as 'all files' just in case).

So actually, there's no downside to the patched files, you can even convert them into VCD and run in POPS emulator for the PS2 if you want, how great is that.

Still, I don't like how pixelated the graphics are for PS1 games running on PS2 + LCD. My PC is plugged to the TV anyway, so I just plug DualShock 2 and I'm good to go.

Many thanks Pyriel, I can't wait to replay the trilogy once again (and probably even play the translated Suikogaiden games this time).

Return to “Suikoden II”