[Guide] Magic damage

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

[Guide] Magic damage

Post by KFCrispy »

Magic damage
Enemies lack magic defense in this game.
Magic damage is simply dealt as: base of spell + [MAG/2], if they are weak against the spell, they take double damage, and if they are strong against it they take half. Some enemies are immune, in which case no damage number appears (0 dmg).

I put the [ ] around MAG/2 to indicate that floor integer function. If your MAG is 101, half is 50.5, and [50.5] = 50. So if you deal double damage by exploiting an elemental weakness, your MAG stat deals an extra 100 points of damage, not 101.

Magic damage is non-random. (as well as in Suikoden II)

Unite Magic
For unites, the faster caster adds his/her MAG to the spell. So it's base + [fasterMAG/2]
Lightning + Fire = 1500 dmg to all (no extra damage to 1 target thing like in Suikoden II)
Fire + Earth = 1300 dmg to all
Earth + Wind = 1000 dmg to all
Wind + Water = 800 dmg to all, full recover to allies
Water + Lightning = 2000 dmg to 1, full recover to allies. The only way to target a specific enemy is if the faster caster has a Lightning Rune. The Lightning Rune's lvl 4 spell is a single target spell. The Thunder Rune's lvl 4 and Water/Flowing lvl 4 spells do not target, so Thor will just hit the first target on the list of enemies.

Resistance for Unite Magic
These checks go in order for figuring out damage an enemy takes from unite spells. Once something is satisfied, it does not check the rest.
1. If the enemy is immune to one of the elements in the unite, enemy takes 0 damage.
2. If the enemy is strong against one of the elements in the unite, enemy takes half damage.
3. If the enemy is weak against one of the elements in the unites, enemy takes double damage.
-Otherwise, enemy takes normal damage.

Soul Eater, Resurrection Rune
As far as I can tell, all enemies take normal damage from the Soul Eater, and only "undead" enemies take double damage from Resurrection Rune. however, i have not tested Resurrection magic against most enemies.
gradeAbra

Re: Magic damage

Post by gradeAbra »

What determine the damage of Souleater? My Mag stats is very high but the damage is still quite low. Unlike in S2, the damage extended by far.
Grade"A"Brassiere
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

soul eater should just be the normal magic damage formula, which is base + [ mag/2 ]
gradeAbra

Post by gradeAbra »

How much damage will Black Shadow and Judgement causes if McDohl has 255 Magic stats?
Grade"A"Brassiere
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i already wrote the formula, just do the math.
gradeAbra

Post by gradeAbra »

I don't understand your formula. What is the base + [ mag/2 ]?

What is the base for Black Shadow and Judgement? Its not stated in this game like in suikoden 2.
Grade"A"Brassiere
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

gradeAbra wrote:I don't understand your formula. What is the base + [ mag/2 ]?

What is the base for Black Shadow and Judgement? Its not stated in this game like in suikoden 2.
http://suikosource.com/games/gs1/guides/runes.php has the spell information. Judgement's base dmg is 1500
what do you not understand about the formula? base = "base damage of spell" which you seem to understand, and MAG is the caster's MAG stat. [ 255/2 ] = 127
so your total with 255 MAG is 1627.

equipment like Emblems can boost your stat a little further... but since you're dividing the stat by 2, it's not going to make much of a difference at that point.
gradeAbra

Post by gradeAbra »

Thanks KFC. Well you can't boost Magic in this game too far. Unlike in S2 they have affinity...
Grade"A"Brassiere
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: [Guide] Magic damage

Post by wataru14 »

For unite magic, can anyone confirm what happens when the enemy is weak to BOTH elements? I'm pretty sure the enemy takes x3 damage. I've done 4500+ damage to the Ninja Masters outside Gregminster (late game) with the Fire/Lightning combo and they are listed in the bestiary as weak to both elements.

I wonder what happens of the target is weak to one element but strong to the other?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

can you test Blazing Camp on the Boar enemy between Elf and Dwarf Village? I am pretty sure I had tested and that only one elemental weakness is considered, not both, so you shouldn't be getting 3x damage (see rules in the first post).
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I can but it will take me a few days. I have no saved game and I'd have to play through to Dwarf Trail.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

ok. forgot to explain that the Death Boar (in that trail) is weak to all elements

The Grave Digger in the Lorimar area is strong vs Fire and weak vs Lightning for your other test. i'm pretty sure it'll take half damage.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I just got my emulator working again. Give me a few days and I'll check it out.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

The Ninja Masters (weak to both Lightning and Fire) took ~3100 damage from a Flik/Cleo combo spell, not 4500 like I thought I remembered. So weak to both means just regular double damage. The Grave Master (weak to Lightning, strong to Fire) took 765. So strong to either means 1/2 damage. Then that also means that the system checks for "Strong vs." before it checks for "Weak vs."
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Thats what the first post says :) Max DMG you can inflict with one spell is 4290.