Hardest Boss?

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
oops

Post by oops »

XiarumaS wrote:Never had any problem except for the Zombie Dragon. I don't know if reading a walkthrough helped me defeat all the bosses easily.
Im sorry but I have to say this. I have a m8 who does the same.

End of the day its your own choice if you read a walkthru whilst playing the game for the 1st time but does this not take all the fun and hard work put into the game away from you?

I've found that if I play the game 1st and complete without a walkthru then I get to see how difficult the game actually is. You might as well just go read a book lol. Once I have completed the game I then complete it again with a walkthru just so that I get the best ending.

Anyway so that I've contributed somewhere I will add that the hardest boss the 1st time was... I would have to choose sonya, the reason being was because it came right after the shell and I had used all my spells killing that. Even after the 2nd time it was still hard because the shell is not easy anyway. The reason why I did not choose the last boss is because yes I used all my magic and then it healed itself after i got 2 heads down :evil: but once I learned which head is the healer then it did not make things too hard on the 2nd playthru.
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

for me i find neclord the hardest boss for me.. his attack is very painful to the whole party and hix is useless without a clone rune
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

For me the Zombie Dragon was probably the hardest boss in the game. I'd say it wasn't helped by having to fight through several different floors of the dungeon without being able to rest, as well as being forced to use certain characters who were not all that great. I think this is the only boss in a Suikoden game where I've died, actually.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Sorry to say but the Dragon isn't that great if you take your time to level up and beat it. The hardest boss, again, is that one lady, Teo's girlfriend. The one who could have been Tir's mother. The.. SEWER LADy!! She is one powreful lady. She took out no one in my team, but Lepant. She nearly knock Viktor's head off, Flik was nearly crippled, Luc was half confused, and she broke Kai's staff!! BUT! I still won.. Lepant is useless by the way. I think...
Nick Bruiser
TrueEightfold

Post by TrueEightfold »

Sonya, hands down. And even thats a stretch. I've never been K.O.ed by a single boss in Suikoden except the True Wind Rune of SIII.

This is mainly because you must fight her right after you fight that clam. The clam wasn't too difficult for your strong characters, but having to reserve most of your spells for Sonya actually made it pretty tough. [/quote]
"We did not choose to be the guardians at the gate, but there is no one else"
Sagiri

Re: Hardest Boss?

Post by Sagiri »

I always had trouble with neclord. But hey, I was like... eight.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

Zombie Dragon owned. If you look at the Bestiary it's weak against Fire Magic. Cleo with the Fire Rune (given to her by Leknaat) at around lvl 17-20 should have a 5/2/1 or 5/3/1 spells bank at your disposal. The only character that needs healing after one party attack from the Zombie Dragon should be Gremio and maybe Camille if she's too low level. Other than that just pound away. Easy victory, but yes this would be a much more difficult battle without the Fire Rune. Next...
Strategy is the key to victory!
Sagiri

Re:

Post by Sagiri »

Preston McDohl wrote:Sonya Shullen sucked majorly!
My first playthrough i used all the stones of skill and dexterity etc on McDohl So it was down ot only them and he Pwned what was left of Alen and Grenseals Magical attacks lol
Haha I got lucky with her on my fourth playthrough. All my guys were down, me exempt, and I was about to go down, I had given up and just did a normal hit. Gone. Wow :D
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
Shinyo

Post by Shinyo »

Neclord is the hardest boss for me, because for some reason I always have trouble fighting him, even if I am prepared.. he is just a badass with very strong attacks and magic, and he has a lot of HP and he wiped out my entire party on my first 1 or 2 tries on my most recent playthrough (finished it about 2 weeks ago). Then I got some Mega Medicine for eveyone and 2 sacrifical Buddhas.. this time it wasn't that hard, but he was still tough.. and I remember him being annoying EVERY TIME I played the game.. (4-5 times I think). Then when I played S2 I killed him in 2 or even in just 1 turn, I can't tell for sure. But he was super easy somehow and only hit Nanami like 2 or 3 times with his bat attack.. he didn't do anything else, lol.

The zombie dragon was pretty tough a few years ago, and I think I tried 3 times or so to kill him, but that was only on 1 playthrough so far.
Sony wasn't a real challenge for me as far as I remember, but last time I faced her I noticed she was pretty tough indeed, but I killed her in 3 or 4 turns, so she wasn't a very hard boss for me.
Every other boss was super easy (the dragon in Pannu Yakuta was very annoying and took some time, but he wasn't really hard).
Check out my blog for random fun stuff and reviews!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Neclord almost requires a dedicated healer or a bunch of medicines spread across the party.. he really dishes it out while taking only half damage against elemental spells.
Sonya is tough because she has a lot of HP and is a surprise boss--as mentioned throughout the discussion, everyone wasted their good spells against Shell Venus, expecting to just be able to run to the exit since the fortress was on fire. nice ambush by Konami..
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

You should try Eikei's arena in the Saturn version on the highest tier. It's just 1 character alone against 4 bosses with no healing in between.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I'd love to try the Arena, sadly, I have no idea what they're saying in the game though. Is there a fan-translated copy of Suikoden I for Saturn, does anyone know?

Otherwise, i'd think that the Golden Hydra can be quite a mouthful the first time if you're not careful. Besides that.... I guess Neclord gets my vote, Sonya was rather easy.
Zieg

Post by Zieg »

I've seen Zombie Dragon labeled as one of the toughest for some of you guys. Personally, I don't think I've ever had problems with it, though that's cause I always headed for the Great Forest prior to entering the castle. You can level up your characters to lvl 20 there ( a Kobolds' party's perfect), and all you have to do is withstand the first two or three battles (using Tir's Fingertips of Death spell, or Cleo's Fire Rune spells to swiftly eradicate your foes).

As far as I'm concerned, I started a new game two days back, knowing that I'm unlikely to have any difficulties regarding boss fights, however I do remember struggling with the sphere in Seed Valley as well as with Neclord.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

obviously if you're overleveled you will be hard-pressed to find anything even remotely difficult, considering how easy the game is to begin with.
Zieg

Post by Zieg »

Indeed, though at that point rather than abusing any glitches, you're making use of an accessible location to your advantage. Actually, I did this a few days back, and the Zombie Dragon was still quite demanding, in spite of my slightly overpowered characters.