[Discussion] Member Recommended Parties with Reasoning

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
TheAncientMariner666

Post by TheAncientMariner666 »

True Wind Bearer wrote:Well, what if you wanted, you may not, though, to physical attack with these characters? Imposible, aye?
Tir attacks from back, Ronnie and Valeria use Hate/Falcon from back, Pesmerga / Viktor / Flik attacks from front. If you are so lazy as to not want to put in the extra 6 seconds to select the rune attacks then dont play.
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Eh...it ain't that, it's just sometimes I like to use their physical power, that's all.
TheAncientMariner666

Post by TheAncientMariner666 »

True Wind Bearer wrote:Eh...it ain't that, it's just sometimes I like to use their physical power, that's all.
Well then that is a whole new team.

Flik, Viktor, and Pesmerga/Fusulu in the front
Tir, Varkas, Kwanda/Leonardo in the back.

Varkas is the best medium range fighter statistically and like the Pesmerga/Fusulu conflict, Kwanda and Leonardo seem to exchange the number two spot every time I go through the game.
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Yea?
That seems like a good party, I'll try it out sometime.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

True Wind Bearer wrote:Well, what if you wanted, you may not, though, to physical attack with these characters? Imposible, aye?
Why do a physical attack when you can do twice as much damage every turn with the runes?
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

Valeria / Pahn / Kai
Tir / Kasumi / Rubi

Valeria
Slower than Viktor in this game but no unbalance and crazy rune damage. Never left my party after I got her.

Pahn
I just love the boar rune! Sure it unbalances and can be worse than simply attacking each round but with the dragon seal incense item on him he can heal the party ( 50 hp ) each unbalanced round

Kai
Unite with Tir every round, lays waste to all parties I came across and with Valeria, Pahn and Kasumi there to finish anything that survived.

Tir
Pretty obvious really, you have to take him and he's just awesome anyway.

Kasumi
Always right next to Tir, her Shrike rune was almost as useful as Valerias, except Kasumi has insane high speed and can be well protected in the back row.

Rubi
If I ever needed more magic power than Tir, Rubi was there to heal. His patk was meh okay but he was great with runes.

Early party
Kai swapped for Gremio
Rubi swapped for Cleo

Final dungeon
Viktor and Flik take Pahn and Kai's spots
Nash L.

Post by Nash L. »

Front row: Morgan, Pahn, Eikei;
Back row: Cleo, Tengaar, Tir;

My front row attack with the "Martial Arts Attack" Unite for x3 damage in all enemies without lefting any character stunned. Besides, Pahn's Boar Rune is a good tool in early battles. Eikei has many HPts and can resist pretty well. Morgan has an impressive PWR stat!
With good equipments, they could take care of almost any enemies by themselves.

My back row is composed by two magic-users (Cleo and Tengaar); Cleo with a offensive magic rune such as Fire and Tengaar with Flowing. Tir is a mandatory character and in my view, the better character in the whole game, even without using Soul Eater.

(A more plot-oriented party would be: Viktor, Flik, Valeria/Kasumi, Cleo and Tir.)
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

My recommended crew is as follows :

1st Rank
Flik
He seems to me a good compromise between attack and defense, and between magic and physical attack. Furthermore, you oftenly have to take him along in the scenario, so better have it everytime with you to avoid problems related to experience and equipment.

Viktor
The same reason as Flik regarding scenario. And it's so nice to have Viktor alongside when the ennemy is strong ! Viktor's hits are really strong.

Lepant
Lepant is a strong warrior, he is resistent, and he is the good teammate of Eileen (see below)

2nd Rank
Tir McDohl
Guess why, ehehe :wink: Depending on the scenario it can happen that I put McDohl in the 1st Row, especially if I have to withdraw Eileen or Lepant for a character that I must take along in the game (for example this stupid Hix who does nothing but disturbs me in fighting Neclord !)

Kasumi
My favourite character has really a good speed and that's helpful. No one plays before her ! Either ennemies or friends. So it can also be useful if you need a cure : she can do it before any further attack. And really I love her rune, it's strong and doesn't make her unbalanced next turn.

Eileen
I love Eileen. I might almost never use her to attack alone, but I really love her magic. It's so strong. When she does an Earthquake, oh my god, that's really nice.
Furthermore, the couple attack she does with Lepant is really strong, and doesn't unbalance any of them.
Well, in the end I should have dated Tir before the end of the war...
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Nash L. wrote:Front row: Morgan, Pahn, Eikei;
Back row: Cleo, Tengaar, Tir;

My front row attack with the "Martial Arts Attack" Unite for x3 damage in all enemies without lefting any character stunned. Besides, Pahn's Boar Rune is a good tool in early battles. Eikei has many HPts and can resist pretty well. Morgan has an impressive PWR stat!
With good equipments, they could take care of almost any enemies by themselves.
i think their unite does 1x damage, but it may look like 3x because it involves their combined attack power.
Kirke

Post by Kirke »

I've played this game enough that I usually end up playing with some of the "neglected" characters in my party, just because I haven't in the past. Funny thing- a lot of those neglected characters tend to have names that start with "K" - for example, Kamandol, Kanak, Kessler, Kimberly, Kirke, Kreutz. Seriously, who plays with any of the K characters? Except for maybe Kai, or Kasumi, she's cool.

Woo, tangent.

Anyhow, I try to avoid Flik, Viktor, and the Gregminster Gang when possible just because they're forced on you so much anyhow. My recommended party:

1) McDohl, for obvious reasons.
2) Kasumi. She's got the Shrike rune, she's fast, high skill, decent HP, plus she'll jump in front of McDohl if you get messed up.
3) Valeria. You can't have both Kasumi and Valeria in SII, so SI is the only chance you'll get for this matchup. High strength, defense, and HP, plus the Falcon rune.
4) Kai, only because of the unite with McDohl. Anybody else find that he often does more damage than McDohl in the unite, even though his stats are the same/lower? Maybe he's the receipient of one of those "stat boosts" that we've seen in Clive and Crowley.
5) Lotte. I'm not a big magic guy, but you need it every now and again (at least for some healing), and she's kinda cute.
6) Kirke. In case you need to cut off any heads along the way. :lol:
Judgement of Lorelai

Post by Judgement of Lorelai »

My final party

Best equips

Flik - Flowing Rune, healer in the party

Valeria - Falcon Rune, way better than Phan, full str equips

Viktor - Holy Rune, he misses a lot but he's a tank

McDohl - well he can't be removed but he's good in magic and attack

Cleo - Thunder Rune, my mage, oh and she can fight too, very versatile character

Kai - Hazy Rune, unite with McDohl is useful for random battles.. Item healer in boss fights

another char that i like is Rubi, he's as strong as Cleo..
I don't hang around with weaklings...
McPesmerga

Post by McPesmerga »

Kai he can deal good damage and he has a unite w/ McDohl that hit all opponents

Luc cause he is a good magician and a good healer as well

Pesmerga w/ fury rune equip he can kill monsters w/ 1 hit

Crowley his runes can deal massive damage
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Judgement of Lorelai wrote: Viktor - Holy Rune, he misses a lot but he's a tank
Is he really? I found that since he can't equip much armour he has a weak defence. Considering that he has to be in the front row I always end up getting him killed. He has a strong attack but as you said he misses a lot. I actually don't find him too terribly useful. Not that you have any choice in the matter of bringing him.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Viktor definitely has high HP, i don't think defense matters too much. but he's probably weak at magic defense.
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

He gets pummeled by magic attacks, not the greatest Magic DEF. Slap a Boar Rune on him and send him in the back. Then, he can attack from the back row.