Genso Suikoden Sega Saturn - Translation

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
MasterGrand

Genso Suikoden Sega Saturn - Translation

Post by MasterGrand »

Hi guys

I try to translation Genso Suikoden but in screenshot 2 I put OK instead of Yes, because I can only add two letters, Any help will appreciated. :|

MasterGrand

Re: Genso Suikoden Sega Saturn - Translation

Post by MasterGrand »

No comments :(
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Looks like a worthwhile project, but you'd need people who read Japanese. I don't know how many people have that skillset.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I haven't looked at this version, but Japanese fonts around this era tended to include a chunk of the Latin character set, but often only the uppercase letters. So you kind of have two issues, if you want to do a proper job. You need to replace the font and fix whatever else wants fixing in order to get a new font to display properly, and you need to work out how to go about resizing strings. If they used the same module layout, that will likely involve a lot of shuffling of pointers or reorganizing of space. It's not a simple undertaking, even aside from the translation issues.

Theoretically, a good bit of the translation could just be copied from Playstation version. Assuming there was no significant shuffling of strings, it could even be done automatically to some extent. It's working around the fact that all the strings are embedded in executable overlays that will cause a lot of the difficulty.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I guess you should rather go to a romhacking community to ask for technical assistancr. We are Suikoden Experte, not Sega Saturn xperts. But I'm very interestedin playing a translation!