Silent

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Celes
Global Admin

Silent

Post by Celes »

Which enemy is able to cause Silent status effect?

According to the manual, Silent exist in this game and it seems there is a sprite for it (https://www.spriters-resource.com/plays ... heet/3947/) but I can't remember ever seeing this in the game.
sticky-runes

Re: Silence

Post by sticky-runes »

Do you mean the first suikoden? I'm quite certain its the sirens and banshees that inflict silence with their vocal attacks (you just see the word "silent" above the character's sprite)

I'm not sure if the viperman's music playing attack causes it as well? It has the music notes animation like the siren's song.

And I think the Ekidonna enemies in Greminster at the end of the game inflict multiple status effects with their standard attacks, so they might cause silence as well.
STARWIN

Post by STARWIN »

I checked if I could easily scan for this somehow, but I don't see any obvious way. While doing so I noticed a function that sets the status type on attack and played with it a bit to see what my character got:

Code: Select all

0 poison
1 red balloon
2 blue balloon
3 green balloon
4 bucket
5 (unbalance) whirl
6 silent
7 unbalance (text)
8 invulnerable (similar to neclord?)
10 fly away
11 invulnerable fly away
12 game over
13 invulnerable fly away
14 fly away
15 invulnerable fly away ...
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Ah the Sirens and Banshees, yes.
Its so damn rare, that you almost never encounter it. With decent equip it doesn't seem to prog on any character. Same goes for the Ekidonna. I have to play around with weak characters sometime.

I think the "(unbalance) whirl" is what they call "paralysis" in the manual.
Does anyone know which enemy inflicts that?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

STARWIN wrote:I checked if I could easily scan for this somehow, but I don't see any obvious way. While doing so I noticed a function that sets the status type on attack and played with it a bit to see what my character got:

Code: Select all

0 poison
1 red balloon
2 blue balloon
3 green balloon
4 bucket
5 (unbalance) whirl
6 silent
7 unbalance (text)
8 invulnerable (similar to neclord?)
10 fly away
11 invulnerable fly away
12 game over
13 invulnerable fly away
14 fly away
15 invulnerable fly away ...
When you say "what my character got", you mean what was inflicted on them by enemies, or what your character inflicted? In either case, how does "game over" status present itself? Kills off the whole party? Or just dumps to the game over screen regardless?
STARWIN

Re: Silent

Post by STARWIN »

Opponent mosquito attacking with poison and I break the execution there, and swap the relevant number in a register.

It just goes to the "give up?" screen after the mosquito has finished its attack and returned.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I just think its funny that Suikoden 2 introduced throat drops as an item to cure Silence. I don't think I've ever used throat drops in the 17 odd years I've been playing the game.

As for unbalance, I think it can be caused by the shadow men when they use their piledriver attacks.
And possibly the beast commander when she blows a kiss at someone.
Maybe the eagle men and hawk men when they lift characters up and drop them? i might be thinking of Suikoden 2...

I think the larvae in Neclord's castle can inflict unbalance with their attacks as well.

By the way, I think ninjas and ninja masters can also inflict status effects with their sword attacks, I can't remember if its unbalance, silence or poison.
srd_27

Post by srd_27 »

Quite a coincidence, I've just seen the Silent effect recently on a Suikoden speedrun stream.

Here's the part where the Silent effect occurs: https://youtu.be/AVEakEo8hj4?t=2h23m9s
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Thank you, I was looking for that.
Speed Runs are probably the only "chance" triggering Silent. The Banshee's 120 HP is a joke. You kill them always on the first strike.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I think Unbalance (word) is for when you cause it on yourself by using a Rune or Unite Attack with Unbalance as a drawback and Unbalance (whirl) is caused by enemy attacks.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

yeah the banshees look cool but are stupidly weak for an enemy you encounter at that point in the game. If they had more HP or better evasion they could have been a nightmare. If we ever got a remake I would like to see them toughened up with some nice misty animations.
STARWIN

Post by STARWIN »

I doubt you'll see any rebalancing of that sort to the game any other way than by using my editor at this point.
Z3R01337

Post by Z3R01337 »

Just want to point out that the Ninja's in Moravia castle can Silence you too. Found that speedrunning also.