[Secret] Old Book Vol.9

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

[Secret] Old Book Vol.9

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Someone tell me if this is old hat, but I had no clue this was a thing till now. Celes alerted me to the fact that some Japanese sites list a secret 9th volume in the library. I've never heard of this but it is indeed reported on some Japanese sites though not widely.

I tested the "trick" on my PAL version to no result so we were going to write this off as a hoax. Then I decided to check the Japanese version just to completely prove this false, as it seemed unlikely to have been removed in localization when they removed nothing else, even the cut bits.

But, to my somewhat amazement, there is a 9th Volume that's only accessible by collecting all other 8 volumes, highlighting the 8th volume in the library and pressing ○×□△ at the same time. It brings up a developers diary of sorts.

For reference this is what Vol.8 looks like:

"The Kalekka Incident"

This is what the mystery Vol.9 looks like:

"Hirotaka Development Diary"

Assumingly Hirotaka refers to producer Hirotaka Ishikawa.

For whatever reason this was removed from the PAL version, most likely from the US version as well then as they're pretty much the same but I haven't tested it. This was confirmed to work on the PSP I&II version but it should be the exact same as the original PS version.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Vextor
Global Admin

Re: Old Book Vol.9

Post by Vextor »

Awesome find. I seem to think I may have heard of this, but my memory has faded way too much I can not remember anything.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Omg that's great! What does it say?
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

I love that! Pity they took it out the other versions as it's a nice touch to collecting all the books.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

To the best of my ability the text goes:

Code: Select all

Hirotaka's Development Diary 
(About the library)

The Game Master used a ”Please/Favor Card”. <- I haven't a clue what that is, google isn't more helpful than it's a thing. An IOU for a favor perhaps?

Thus my daily assistance began.

July 10th (Mon)
Made the BG graphics.

July 11th (Tue)
Made the page graphics.

July 12th (Wed)
Entered the text.

- Page flip -

(About the mural)

The Game Master gave me the next job.

July 13th (Thu)
Made the images for the pieces.

Didn't have time so had to finish in one day.

(About the Stone Monument)
July 17th (Mon) – July 21st (Fri)
It was difficult because it doesn't have a face. <- Iffy line, had trouble understanding it.

(About the Bath)
July 24th (Mon) – July 29th (Sat)
I want to have a bath too!
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

OO!

Are we ever going to stop finding new stuff in this game even twenty years later?
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Great! Raww, could you add a picture of the second half of the book, please?

Seems they left out more stuff from the japanese original. Wasn't there a training arena with Eikei and a different (better) intro as well in the japanese version? Maybe Hirotaka created a sprite for him and planned to place it in the 2nd floor of the Great Forest Village inn until Murayama or "Konami authorities" told him that's too ridiculous, so he reduced his cameo appearance to that secret old book. I'm kidding, but not completely, I mean old book 9 is such a weird easter egg (because the content is absolutely useless and not overly interesting to be honest), so there could be a weird story behind it.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Wolkendrache wrote:Seems they left out more stuff from the japanese original. Wasn't there a training arena with Eikei and a different (better) intro as well in the japanese version?
That's the Japanese only Saturn version you're talking about. Only other difference (except for translation things) I know of is that they censored Varkas' and Sydonia's crucifixion.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

omg! this is like the secret stairs but in the form of a book
Cloud_Mc_Rip

Re: [Secret] Old Book Vol.9

Post by Cloud_Mc_Rip »

I can confirm that, it works on the PSP version too!
Image Image
:arrow:
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Raww, can you add this to the secrets page so we can release the topic?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Celes wrote:Raww, can you add this to the secrets page so we can release the topic?
Done.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

I highlighted it using a new paragraph and added your screenshot. Besides, the Old Book Vol. 9 is not an item, technically.

:arrow: Game Secrets for Suikoden

Topic released.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:OO!

Are we ever going to stop finding new stuff in this game even twenty years later?
Didn't notice this thread before,and i was happy when i saw it...but unfortunately it doesn't work in PAL.. :(
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Uh, right. So um, you know that "unused" sketch of the cover that gets loaded into the VRAM when you enter the library but is never shown?

It's part of the secret book.

I didn't know this because the book is either bugged or they took the last page out from the PSP version cause it's only 2 pages but in the original PS1 game it's 3 pages.

Only took 5 years to notice that.

Edit: Oh so that explains why they took it out. The last page is a request to send your opinions on the game to the adress listed.

Is that why they took the whole thing out of the English version?