Odessa's Death Scene

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Askeroth

Odessa's Death Scene

Post by Askeroth »

This is something that has been bugging me for a while now and I hope somebody can offer me some clarity. My family had several different copies of Suikoden over the years, but in one of them, I distinctly remember an extra scene after Odessa died where they put her body in a river and let it float downstream. I only remember seeing that scene once, and watching it on YouTube just has the screen black out for a few seconds like normal. Can anybody confirm that a scene with her getting a "burial at sea" ever existed? Is it possible that I've gotten it mixed up somehow with another death scene? It's been well over a decade, so perhaps my memory is muddled, but I could have sworn it was after Odessa died. It struck me even then that the scene played out differently.

EDIT

I could only find a few references to the river by using Google.
To Upon ODESSA's dying wishes, she asks of you to do 2 things for her.

(1) Take her ear ring & find her brother, MASH.

(2) Take her body & throw it in the river.

[!] You will be given a choice. You can:

Top Choice -> Deny her requests.

Bottom Choice -> Agree with her requests.
I love how easily Tir agrees to throw Odessa's body in the river.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Odessa's Death Scene

Post by KFCrispy »

the game doesn't actually show Odessa's body floating down the sewer, but regardless of your choices you will fade out and appear in the sewer area, having just finished sending her body off.
Askeroth

Post by Askeroth »

KFCrispy wrote:the game doesn't actually show Odessa's body floating down the sewer, but regardless of your choices you will fade out and appear in the sewer area, having just finished sending her body off.
I remember seeing it, though. This has been bugging me for years now. But then again, watching the scenes on YouTube just has the scene fade out after she dies and then it re-loads with the characters in the inn upstairs. Is it at least safe to assume that there are two versions of this scene? Was it edited for some reason?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

ok i would think the youtube vid is the only possible outcome. forgive my faulty memory...
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

There's no other version of the scene.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Askeroth

Post by Askeroth »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:There's no other version of the scene.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I remember what I saw. My brother does too. I don't think I have any reason to lie about this. I suppose it's still possible that I'm getting it mixed up with another scene, but I'm pretty sure it was after Odessa died.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Well, it sure wasn't in the PAL or NTSC version, as I've played through both. Maybe you had a faulty copy that somehow produced an error?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Askeroth wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree.
No we don't, this isn't a matter of opinion. You're the one making the impossible claim, the burden of proof is on you. There was only one printing of Suikoden, there's no other version to be found. Till you've proven that this imaginary scene exists, it simply doesn't.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Askeroth

Post by Askeroth »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Askeroth wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree.
No we don't, this isn't a matter of opinion. You're the one making the impossible claim, the burden of proof is on you. There was only one printing of Suikoden, there's no other version to be found. Till you've proven that this imaginary scene exists, it simply doesn't.
I'm not trying to prove anything. I was just checking to see if anybody remembered the same thing. I know what I remembered, but conceded the possibility that I could have misremembered. You, on the other hand, are just being a jerk. One time, I played Final Fantasy VII and it glitched up and Aeris was never removed from my party. No custscenes acknowledged her, as the game still considered her dead, but I could use her in my party. Nobody believed me about that, either. Sometimes, weird things happen.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i think there is a huge difference in a glitch that occured (Aerith not removed from party) due do some really specific circumstances and a hidden scene that was intentionally designed. i don't think anybody has every seen Odessa's body floating in the water. so you should really consider that it doesn't exist, but we can leave this topic open in case anyone can validate it.... but i don't see any possible way to "trigger" this hidden scene if it exists - there are limited things you can do in this game at that point, and even wandering all the way to Sarady alone as well as with Ted was eventually discovered by players.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

It probably didn't help that Odessa and Ted have pretty awesome overall stats.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Ok, I have to say that from my memory, I also think I saw a scene like that, but it has been years that I played the game for the last time. I watched part of a German Let's Play, but the scene wasn't included there either, so it must be bad memory
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

if you really think there is a scene of Odessa's body floating, what sprite was used? i have not seen any sprite rips with her body laying flat - shouldn't her body be perfectly straight, facing up? The only possible sprite like that is her STANDING position, which has her eyes open.
here are ALL of her sprites: http://spriters-resource.com/psx_ps2/su ... sheet/3523
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

It's probably just something you imagined that got mixed in with real memories. I haven't played the game in years, and I can picture the scene pretty clearly, as it occurred, and what you think you saw. And the picture in my head of her body floating down the channel is pretty convincing.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Is there a scene in any later games where the hero lets a body float downstream?