A Proper Suikoden Character Analysis Guide

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Swordsman

Re: A Proper Suikoden Character Analysis Guide

Post by Swordsman »

hyzhenry wrote:My current party other than Tir, consists of Cleo, Kirkis, Stallion, Kai and Viktor/Pesmerga pretty much.

Cleo and Kirkis are very similar in a sense that they are very balanced in terms of POW/MAG/SKL.
I like my setup and here's why.

Cleo has considerably high stats overall. Her MAG is definitely not as good as the pure mages but she can get a LVL4 spell quite early in the game. She starts out early and you can place 2 Winged Boots on her for high defense pretty much 3/4s of the game. Her Dmg is also pretty decent.

Kirkis is similar albeit lower overall stats than Cleo, and his MAG is not as high. I usually give him a water/flowing rune. He has a great unite attack with any of the other elves that does 1.0x damage to all enemies. Very useful for clearing out random encounters.

Stallion is the weakest link here. In fact he shouldn't be in this list at all, the only reason I use him is because of how useful he is. His true holy rune allows you to sprint in world map but that means he has no empty rune slot. And his unite with kirkis does 1.0x damage to all enemies. He also has very high SKL stat that allows him to crit like 70-80% of the time. His insane speed allows you to throw out the unite attack first all the time. I also put my dragon seal incense on him, so he can heal when he is unbalanced after the unite attack.

Kai has above average POW. Has low SKL stat but makes up for it with his hazy rune for dodging attacks. Not the best choice, but has the highest damage attack all unite attack with Tir. With his unite and the elves unite attack, you effectively clear almost all random encounters in the first turn throughout the whole game.

Viktor has good POW. I usually farm Wind(earth) rune pieces for him in the early game to boost his SKL stat. Currently has DB rune on him but thinking of switching it out for killer, since DB doesn't work on single enemies at all.

Pesmerga is a great choice too because of his insane POW and Def, higher than Viktor.

Others worth mentioning are:
Varkas - High attack, great single target unite attack with sydonia
Sydonia - Decent stats, great single target unite attack with varkas
Humphrey - High defense, decent attack
Pahn - High attack, great single target unite attack with Gremio
Gremio - Average stats but great single target unite attack with Pahn (you don't really get to use him much throughout the game though)
Tai Ho - Above average attack, great single target unite attack with Yam Koo(unbalanced afterwards)
Yam Koo - Average stats but great single target unite attack with Tai Ho(unbalance)
Eileen - Above average MAG stat. (can't believe no one mentioned her)
Valeria - Decent attack and defense, has falcon rune
Juppo and Meg - Decent stats, only useful for their unite attack, attacks all no unbalance
Sylvina - Decent MAG stat, unite attack with the elves
Luc - Very high MAG stat, but very low in DEF and HP
Fu Su Lu - Insane attack and HP, but low SKL causes him to get countered or dodged often
Mina - Decent MAG stat, decent attack
Blackman - High attack and defense
Sarah - Decent Mag, attack and defense
Flik - Above average attack and MAG
Milich - Above average MAG, decent attack
Tengaar - Highest MAG stat that can attack from back row, decent attack.(worth considering)
Rubi - Above average overall attack, unite attack with the elves.
Hellion - High Mag stat, but low defense and HP and permanently equipped with Mother Earth
Hix - Decent overall stats but low MAG

I missed out a few others such as Alen, Grenseal, Gen, Lotte, Sergei, Kreutz, Sheena, Morgan and Camille. They have pretty decent stats but I haven't really used them much to comment. Sergei is interesting as he has very high defense and SKL but his MAG and POW stats are low. Fun to play with though.

Some other useful characters includes Gon, Meg, Hix, Mina due to High LUK stat. Good to level them up and then gamble with Gaspar. Add Eileen, Juppo, Mace or anyone else with the next highest tier of LUK stats, You'll pretty much win almost every round and max out your potch for buying new gear and upgrading your weapons.

Try all the characters in the game to get the best out of it. Sometimes using people like Antonio, Lester or Sansuke can be fun too since the cooks are useless in the game, might as well use to them fight. Can be pretty cool to complete the game with Sergei, Sansuke, Antonio, Lester and Krin with Tir.

However, I warn you that using Kirkis with Water/Flowing rune, Stallion and Kai in your party will dramatically increase your completion time.
tai ho and yam koo unbalanced unite attack can be countered with turtle runes..making it spammable every round.

Is pretty boy attack the strongest unite attack for single target ?

Pesmerga and Viktor got the same problem. Skill too low.. they miss more than they hit..

the + skill accessory drop rate is horrible.. farm the armor devil 150 times and yet drop once.

Wonder who got the high Skill and above average attack ?

Kai is good for random battles.. other than that, he is useless in boss fights..
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Pretty Boy Attack only deals 2x damage-- it's nothing special.
http://suikosource.com/games/gs1/guides/unites.php

Notable single-target unites...
Kobold +1 (3x dmg and no unbalance)
Fisherman Attack (3x dmg and you can give them Turtle Runes to prevent Unbalance)
Bandit Attack (2.5x dmg and no unbalance)
Beat Em Up Attack (3x damage which is the only time Pahn can be commanded to dish out so much damage in 1 turn, but leaves him unbalanced) --> you're better off just using Ronnie's Hate Rune and replacing Pahn with someone else
Blacksmith Attack (3.5x dmg and no unbalance-- but you need 4 freakin Blacksmiths)
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

> "Juppo and Meg - Decent stats"

Not to sound like a jerk, but on what planet do Juppo and Meg have decent stats? I could possibly concede your point with her, but Juppo is one of the worst characters in the game. He's better than Sergei and Antonio, but not by much.
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

KFCrispy wrote:Pretty Boy Attack only deals 2x damage-- it's nothing special.
http://suikosource.com/games/gs1/guides/unites.php

Notable single-target unites...
Kobold +1 (3x dmg and no unbalance)
Fisherman Attack (3x dmg and you can give them Turtle Runes to prevent Unbalance)
Bandit Attack (2.5x dmg and no unbalance)
Beat Em Up Attack (3x damage which is the only time Pahn can be commanded to dish out so much damage in 1 turn, but leaves him unbalanced) --> you're better off just using Ronnie's Hate Rune and replacing Pahn with someone else
Blacksmith Attack (3.5x dmg and no unbalance-- but you need 4 freakin Blacksmiths)
We do have to factor in base damage right ?

I shall try the above unites for the final boss.