Bug Fixes

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Bug Fixes

Post by Pyriel »

KFCrispy wrote:-some other spell descriptions are slightly incorrect.
I've never seen spell descriptions in this game. Are you sure you're not thinking of Suikoden 2?

Suikoden Patch

This patch is for the US version 1.0 game. If the patch is free of problems, I will port it to other versions. The easiest way to tell what version you have is to load the disc (or mount/explore the ISO) and look at the file dates for SLUS_002.92 and MAIN.EXE. If they're from 1996, you have version 1.0. If they're from 1997, then it's version 1.1. Version 1.1 also has one extra bug (that I know of) that will cause a flickering line to appear at the top of the screen in most emulators, but not typically on TVs when played on real hardware.

I think I will try to auto-detect version 1.0 vs. 1.1 when both are supported. For now, the patcher can't distinguish by itself, since both have the same serial number.

The patch contains everything I could recreate and get working so far.
  1. Bribery Glitch fixed. You can still skip the messages, but bribery fails if the battle should not allow it.
  2. Clay Guardian effects restored. By default, the patch will utilize base defense for the character. I believe this is the intent, but I've allowed total defense as an option. The total defense version opens the door to an exploit, where the bonus will be compounded every time the spell is used, e.g. 100 total defense becomes 150, with the next cast defense is increased to 225, and so on. The base defense version is not exploitable.
  3. Guardian of Earth effects restored. The notes from Clay Guardian apply to this as well.
  4. Krin and Stallion will no longer start with Escape Talismans that can be used many times.
I was not able to recreate the "Try Again" issue with either US version. I don't know what BadPotato's videos are meant to show, so I don't even know if there's a bug there that needs to be looked into.
Last edited by Pyriel on Tue May 31, 2016 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Very nice! Come to think of it S2 has so many bugs, this game almost looks flawless :)

Some more things I can think of right now:

- Drop a partly comsumed pile of items like medicine, mega medicine etc. back into the vault and it will be refilled. I don't think this was intended but I guess there is nothing that can be done without much time and effort, as the vault counts only the number of piles. Perhaps those can be refused to take in instead, like unknown ornaments.
- The Thunder rune piece seems to have no effect aside from adding the lightning element to the weapon, while the others add additional bonus (water: regen +5; wind: SKL +2; earth: DEF +3; fire: DMG+5%). It was speculated they add Crit% but actually I never noticed any increase here. Tested this a lot.
- Speaking of rune pieces: Wind and Earth have they names switched around everywhere (menu; character stat screen; loot info; vault) except at the stone tablet. Noticed this while doing research for enemy weaknesses
- Check on Chandler's and Chapman's goods at your castle, if you have never visited any item and armor store at all. Then they sell Bandana each.
- There are several translation bugs. I started to correct some of those but never finished. For example Odessa beeing called the daughter of Leon, and Mathiu a Medical Officer several times. I've made a list and went through half of the game but never finished the project
- By the time you return from Dwarves Village, Kirkis has a dialouge box using a wrong pointer. I didn't managed to localize the correct lines for this event though.
- Several logical errors like a wrong avartar showing at the Kobold Village and Panna Yakuta.
- Several mistranslated weapon names and such.
- Some minor bugs depending on the castle level:
-- At the banquet with the Lepant family and the pirates, the elevator is shown even if you haven't recruited Sergei yet.
-- If you still posses a lv 1 castle after the defeat of Kwanda, the castle is temporary updated to lv 2 until you re-enter it.
-- You cannot talk to Mathiu, Sanchez and Humphrey by Flik's arrival if your castle is still lv 1
-- Some characters in town in Milich' domain won't talk to you at all, with a castle lv 1

Not a bug, but I expanded rune descriptions and fixed capitalization for items (Brass armor -> Brass Armor).
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

1. Yeah, I suppose Rock could just reject Medicine x4, etc.. I thought that was actually what he did until this latest test play through.
  2. I don't really know. Looking through the code, it appears the Wind Rune and Fire Rune pieces both give a 5% bonus to damage per piece. I've never seen a damage bonus documented for the Wind Rune Piece, and they do this stupid thing where they re-kajigger the active rune piece indicator using a table (it's actually just value - 1), but they switch immediately back to using the actual values. Perhaps the damage bonus was intended for Thunder Rune pieces. Other than that, I haven't seen any other bonus that might be associated with it.
  3. I never noticed the name-swapping. I wonder how they messed that up so badly.
  4. That's intentional, isn't it? In Suikoden 2 you don't get the set inventory from a shop until it's been visited. I assumed it was the same for this one. "Bandana", is misspelled, "Bandanna," in my version of the game, though. That's something I mean to fix. Along with, "Seeding How," (actually all the hoes have that problem), and a couple of other oddities.
  5. Kind of a re-translation effort. If anyone's interested in doing it, we can discuss something like that. I wanted to figure out how to add a "Soul Eater Level 2" event when Gremio dies, so it matches up with the deaths of Teo and Ted, so I'll eventually have to figure out how the dialogue is managed in the scripting anyway.
  6. I never noticed Kirkis speaking gibberish, but I was moving through dialogue pretty quickly the last time I played. I'll see if I can figure it out, but if Konami blew it badly, and it's not even correct in the Japanese version, it may just have to be nothing or general exclamation.
  7. Wrong avatars, or is this another case of badly translated lines that only appear to come from the wrong person?
  8. Yep.
  9. That's bizarre. I usually recruit everyone as soon as possible. I'll have to try avoiding everybody that isn't required, I guess.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Pyriel wrote:
  1. Kind of a re-translation effort. If anyone's interested in doing it, we can discuss something like that.
I'm always up for that and now with the gaidens done I actually have time for it, but I can't do a thing about it on the tech side.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Fukiens weapon and Viktors Star Dragon Sword have Holy Elemental that doesnt seem to work in battle, although some enemies have holy weakness. Neclord for example.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i think one of the inorrect descriptions was the base damage of the Lightning/Thunder Rune's Rainstorm spell..... it's been too long.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

No spell descriptions in this game.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

i discovered sth very strange today...you can talk to Viki at the same point she is in your castle, as soon as you've defeated the Zombie Dragon without recruiting her!!!! but yet she's invisible....i dunno if it's actually a bug or an in-game secret....

Furthermore you can trigger her only if you have Viktor,Gremio and Cleo in oyur party (when you are going to meet Lepant)....you won't activate it if you bring someone else along...

i don't have any photo available at the moment,but i'm gonna post it tomorrow...anyone else who have seen this thing? :|
CVagts

Post by CVagts »

I just tested this and I found it too! This is just after the Zombie Dragon, after Gremio, Viktor, and Cleo joined my party to help me go visit Lepant.

http://i.imgur.com/hmthyO6.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nQNJVto.jpg

I didn't test it with any additional party members, or if it still works after getting Kirkis.

edit: I tested it after coming back from Kouan with Lepant, and after getting Kirkis and heading to the Village of the Elves. Neither seems to work.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

CVagts wrote:I just tested this and I found it too! This is just after the Zombie Dragon, after Gremio, Viktor, and Cleo joined my party to help me go visit Lepant.

http://i.imgur.com/hmthyO6.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nQNJVto.jpg

I didn't test it with any additional party members, or if it still works after getting Kirkis.

edit: I tested it after coming back from Kouan with Lepant, and after getting Kirkis and heading to the Village of the Elves. Neither seems to work.

I tested it once again once i got into Lepant's mansion and getting back (not stealing Kirinji) so there must be a limited time frame where Viki appears in your castle....like from after defeating the Zombie Dragon till you enter Lepant's mansion to steal Kirinji :|
CVagts

Post by CVagts »

I just did some more extensive testing, and it DOES work with five or six party members - if Cleo is the last party member, the invisible Viki will show up.

This also works when you have to take Kirkis to the Village of the Elves, but you MUST trigger the dialogue near the boat (when Kirkis tells you to head to the Great Forest) or else the game will softlock as you enter the Great Forest.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

CVagts wrote:I just did some more extensive testing, and it DOES work with five or six party members - if Cleo is the last party member, the invisible Viki will show up.

This also works when you have to take Kirkis to the Village of the Elves, but you MUST trigger the dialogue near the boat (when Kirkis tells you to head to the Great Forest) or else the game will softlock as you enter the Great Forest.
True...happen to me too a while ago.

Just a question....if you've obtained Blinking Mirror via cheating and you teleport back just after seeing Elves Village in Ruins (before the battle with Kwanda) will the game get crashed?
CVagts

Post by CVagts »

I've never tested with a cheated Blinking Mirror. I guess I could look into that. My guess is that it doesn't crash until you try to get back to the Kobold village (where the story trigger is). But even then I don't think it'll crash.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Found something strange:

I had Stallion and Kirkis in the party. Kirkis was equipped with a Holy Rune. Both were my only party members.

I could NOT dash on the world map, but dashing int owns worked normally. I thought that maybe the Holy Rune overwrites the effect of the True Holy Rune, so I unequipped the Holy Rune from Kirkis, it was now in his inventory. Even then I could NOT dash on the world map!

So this leads me to two questions:
1. Is the effect of the True Holy Rune overwritten by a normal Holy Rune? I even changed Kirkis' and Stallion's place in the party, but no effect.
2. Are effect runes even effective when you don't wear them? E.g. would having the Champion Rune in your inventory be enough for avoiding battles?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I sincerely doubt it's 2. The game would have to scan inventory slots rather than the equipped rune slot to find it, and they'd almost have to do that deliberately. I know the scans for Fortune and Prosperity only check equipped runes.

Try the experiment again and take Kirkis out of the party, then walk around and see what happens. Then try reforming the party a few times.
  1. Take them both out.
  2. Check if you can dash in town or on the world map.
  3. Admit Stallion before Kirkis.
  4. See where you can dash.
  5. Repeat from one, reversing the order of admittance in 3.
If that changes anything, e.g. you can dash in both places when Stallion is admitted last, but not first, it implies that the presence of the True Holy Rune is only checked for when you change out people in your party, and it's done badly because a plain Holy Rune can downgrade the effect.

Edit: It's also possible they used a shortcut on checking for True Holy, and only tested whether or not Stallion was being admitted. Then the game just overwrites the value when it scans for regular Holy Runes, but it comes to the same thing.