Bug Fixes

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Antimatzist

Re: Bug Fixes

Post by Antimatzist »

Ok, I cannot recreate it. Now that I looked again at my footage, Kirkis wears a Champion Rune, but I'm sure I had it ebfore with a Holy Rune as well.

OR I don't see the movement on the world map as faster. Somehow, I thought you'd need to press the O button as well on the world map, but it's automatic? So maybe I just went a bit crazy yesterday.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Pyriel wrote:
KFCrispy wrote:-some other spell descriptions are slightly incorrect.
I've never seen spell descriptions in this game. Are you sure you're not thinking of Suikoden 2?

Suikoden Patch

This patch is for the US version 1.0 game. If the patch is free of problems, I will port it to other versions. The easiest way to tell what version you have is to load the disc (or mount/explore the ISO) and look at the file dates for SLUS_002.92 and MAIN.EXE. If they're from 1996, you have version 1.0. If they're from 1997, then it's version 1.1. Version 1.1 also has one extra bug (that I know of) that will cause a flickering line to appear at the top of the screen in most emulators, but not typically on TVs when played on real hardware.

I think I will try to auto-detect version 1.0 vs. 1.1 when both are supported. For now, the patcher can't distinguish by itself, since both have the same serial number.

The patch contains everything I could recreate and get working so far.
  1. Bribery Glitch fixed. You can still skip the messages, but bribery fails if the battle should not allow it.
  2. Clay Guardian effects restored. By default, the patch will utilize base defense for the character. I believe this is the intent, but I've allowed total defense as an option. The total defense version opens the door to an exploit, where the bonus will be compounded every time the spell is used, e.g. 100 total defense becomes 150, with the next cast defense is increased to 225, and so on. The base defense version is not exploitable.
  3. Guardian of Earth effects restored. The notes from Clay Guardian apply to this as well.
  4. Krin and Stallion will no longer start with Escape Talismans that can be used many times.
I was not able to recreate the "Try Again" issue with either US version. I don't know what BadPotato's videos are meant to show, so I don't even know if there's a bug there that needs to be looked into.
Hmm, exploitable Clay Guardian? Sounds sweet, but could break the game. One time cast should be enough to make Earth mages A LOT more useful.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

having near infinite DEF in like 5 turns is just a waste of effort... it hardly "breaks" anything. we already know the game is easy, but it's easy because you overwhelm the enemy with attacks, not because of defense.
Flash Strife

Post by Flash Strife »

Bumping an old thread here but anyone have that patch Pyriel linked to? It's not on the main site and that link doesn't have the patch anymore.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I'll find the original archive and upload it to my new domain sometime this weekend.
Flash Strife

Post by Flash Strife »

Awesome, thanks!
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Pyriel, we intend to integrate your patch into our localization patch for the German language. Is that okay for you?

Do you intend to continue working on it? I would find these two points particularly interesting:
Drop a partly comsumed pile of items like medicine, mega medicine etc. back into the vault and it will be refilled. I don't think this was intended but I guess there is nothing that can be done without much time and effort, as the vault counts only the number of piles. Perhaps those can be refused to take in instead, like unknown ornaments.
Fukiens weapon and Viktors Star Dragon Sword have Holy Elemental that doesnt seem to work in battle, although some enemies have holy weakness. Neclord for example.
Plus I have noticed other bugs in the meantime. If you are interested, I would be happy to list them.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, you're absolutely welcome to use the patches.

I wasn't aware any weapons in the game had properties aside from the usual level, name, and attack damage. How is it known that those weapons have an intrinsic holy element?

I've thought about fixing the vault in the past. It's just kind of daunting. The only way I can think to do it is to have Rock or whatever his name is reject anything that has a value other than the maximum allowed, but I'd want to have him blurt out a message. I think that's what the guy in 5 does, or in any case I swear I remember somebody asking if you're kidding when you try to store Medicine X 2 in the vault in one of the games. Adding the message would be slightly troublesome, but not impossible. My bigger worry is that Konami hard-coded the max values rather than storing them in the data for each item type.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Checked the data while creating this guide: http://www.suikosource.com/games/gs1/guides/initial.php
I was able to assign all elements of the weapons based on the enemy element defense that was known. Viktors Star Dragon Sword as well as Fukiens weapon had an unknown value. That it should be holy was only logical. Holy is one element in enemy's element defense. It works with holy spells. But the weapons make no difference. All other elements work normally. If you attach one of the five other element rune pieces on the weapons, these also work.

Incomplete stacks are rejected in all other Suikodes. The comment you mean is also here. It appears when an attempt is made to put a non-appraised antique in the warehouse.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Celes wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:33 pm Incomplete stacks are rejected in all other Suikodes. The comment you mean is also here. It appears when an attempt is made to put a non-appraised antique in the warehouse.
Are they? I'd need to re-check, but I'm pretty sure Suikoden V 's vault keeper does not care and I'm not sure about Suikoden II (iirc, in V, incomplete stacks will be combined in the vault to create stacks with maximum quantitiy allowed for that item). Can't remember about Suikoden III.

EDIT: Checked, is not true.
Last edited by Antimatzist on Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

I put it wrong. I am absolutely certain that in no other game exist the possibility to fill up the stacks via the warehouse. I am just not sure whether incomplete stacks will be rejected or merged to existing ones.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

You are correct, I misremembered. I just checked for Suikoden V and incomplete stacks are not rejected (but are also not automatically combined as previously stated).
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Celes wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:33 pm Checked the data while creating this guide: http://www.suikosource.com/games/gs1/guides/initial.php
I was able to assign all elements of the weapons based on the enemy element defense that was known. Viktors Star Dragon Sword as well as Fukiens weapon had an unknown value. That it should be holy was only logical. Holy is one element in enemy's element defense. It works with holy spells. But the weapons make no difference. All other elements work normally. If you attach one of the five other element rune pieces on the weapons, these also work.

Incomplete stacks are rejected in all other Suikodes. The comment you mean is also here. It appears when an attempt is made to put a non-appraised antique in the warehouse.
I take it you're talking about byte 3 from the end of the weapon data? It looks like Viktor and Juppo both have 5 there, and most others have 0.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

I did this guide years ago and didn't keep my notes.
Aside from that: It should be Fukien, not Juppo.