[FAQ] Differences between PS1 and Saturn version

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

[FAQ] Differences between PS1 and Saturn version

Post by dragonmasterx »

I only know of this one diffference, about the 3 pirates:

"Blue Moon's Comment:
There are more events here in the Saturn version (Japanese), where the pirates abduct one of the girls in your army, forcing you to come and rescue her."

Raww's information thread on Saturn version: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=8&t=9823
Lechium

Post by Lechium »

if it's a random girl... i wanna see them trying to abduct Ronnie Bell!

p.s. i heard there is feature similar to S4's dojo...
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

Yeah, in Saturn version they got Eikei with his unique rune (forgot what it's called) that would allow you to battle random monsters in the dojo.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I have the game and played it a while ago, here are the differences.

An animated opening sequence much like Suikoden 2 (but definitely not like Suikoden 3's).

Different spell animation (generally less flashy and sort of sucky compared to the PS version.

Longer load time compared to the PS version.

Different mini games-- Marco's cup-game has different rules, Georges does Blackjack instead of his other card game, and Eikei runs an arena where you can fight monsters.

You can get the Darkness Rune and Silver Armor, which wasn't in the PS version.

You can find and raise a cat in Tir's room in the HQ.

Added event where Anji's Pirates abduct one (or was it two?) female members from you.
Blitzkrieg

Post by Blitzkrieg »

How rare is the Saturn version? And how much does it go for?
"We are forgotten in times of peace. It's only
when war looms that people remember we exist."
-The Great Leon Silverburg
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

SARSadmin wrote:You can get the Darkness Rune and Silver Armor, which wasn't in the PS version.
what are the spells / stats of these things?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I actually havn't gotten those things so I wouldn't know. No site I know has that information either.
wolf88

Post by wolf88 »

SARSadmin wrote:
An animated opening sequence much like Suikoden 2 (but definitely not like Suikoden 3's).
I would like to see that. Anyone have a saturn? :)
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I have the intro movie uploaded at my site, although I don't have it linked at my site because it can lead to some hefty bandwidth. Please simply do a right click and "save target" instead of directly streaming from my site.

http://www.suikox.com/movies/ssopening.avi
Fliktor

Post by Fliktor »

You can just download the opening of Kazaa or something dodgy like that. Plus the game itself has a rather nifty instruciton book in full colour as opposed the black and white. Shame I can't read Japanese. Shame also I bought the game for a laugh one night off ebay and then figured I couldn't actually play it.

So now I have three unplayable Suikoden games. At least I have three playable ones though ^_^
Whats your opinion on censorship? ... **** censorship!
[King Fliktor] [Axiose, my Dæmon]
Fliktor

Post by Fliktor »

This was taken from RPG Classics website; it's got some pretty unusal things for some games so all credit to them...althought he gives credit to Blue Moon Forum and Clive Van Houten so I'm assuming it just comes full circle.

Design Differences

First off, the load time on the Saturn version is slightly longer, without any of the cute loading screen characters running around. The music also sounds better, but at the cost of more "emulated" sound effects. There is also no circle effect for monster fights, instead being a black screen for five seconds. And finally, the menus are blockier, with the text isn't as smooth.

New Intro Movie

There was a different intro movie for Suikoden 1 for the Saturn. No details are avaiable at this time.

Magician Island

There are various changes that take place at Magician Island. First the flight to the island on Black contain more crisp and realistic clouds. Leknaat's Chamber has a better done effect for the stainglass windows that hover overhead when talking to her. And finally, Luc teleportation is now pink instead of white.

Macro's Cup Mini Game

Macro's Cup mini game is different from the PS1 version in which he uses three coins with no cups, instead of three cups and one coin. The major change is that the coins have to be guessed by which one is heads or tails.

Queen Ant Fight

Queen Ant gains a new attack in the battle on Mt. Seifu which she summons a ring of boulders to circle around a character, then hit them. Also changed was Ted's Soul Eater attack in which he has a more explosive effect on the Queen Ant, instead of the Deadly Fingertips style attack.

Dialog Changes

The dialog said following the events about Gremio and Teo are different. There are also some changed lines in the event before the Shasarazade fortress major battle. Also changed was Gremio's return, including a visit to Gregminster.

Adoptable Pets

In the Saturn version, you could adopt a cat, who you can fed and play with.

Eikei's Coliseum

Eikei the muscle man you recruit in the game doesn't just stand around in the castle in the Saturn version. Instead he opens a coliseum where your characters battle monsters for prizes and expience.

Toran Lake Pirate Attack

A new event in the game has Anji the pirate kidnapping a random girl, where you either pay their ransom, or fight them to save them.

Misc Changes

Treasure chests are now blue instead of orange. There was a new effect for Ted's Soul Eater attack on Windy. And there were different items in the game, including "Darkness Rune" and "Sliver Armor".
Whats your opinion on censorship? ... **** censorship!
[King Fliktor] [Axiose, my Dæmon]
Asquian

Post by Asquian »

Wasn't the Saturn version referred to as the Director's Cut? I wonder if Eikei's coloseum was meant to make it slightly easier to get Antiques and other dropped items from certain monsters?
Sonya -cat

Great RPGs never die, they just get more expensive -Me
ThirdEye

Post by ThirdEye »

Is the Saturn version only in japannese (spelled that wrong)? I still have a sega saturn works great too.
The Black Knight

Post by The Black Knight »

Its only in Japanese.

And for anyone thats played it where is Eikei's Coloseum?
What the Futch!!!!

Vagueness is my specialty.
Agremsep

Post by Agremsep »

It seems that the Saturn version is like the improved version of it. I can tell it's very very very rare.