Do the castle or army names glitch?

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
kenshindono

Do the castle or army names glitch?

Post by kenshindono »

I got to thinking.. does what you name your castle, or army in this game glitch like the character name does? I know there are refrences to the names you picked later.. in III i think and possibly II (i dont remember where). So i was wondering if i have to name my castle and army in all caps or something like i have to do with my character.

hopefully someone has an answer since i had to stop playing when i got to the name point on this playthrough.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Do the castle or army names glitch?

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Yes, the Castle name is glitched, and supposedly it follows the same script as the McDohl one. Never really bothered to try that out since the castle is only mentioned twice in Suikoden II.

And you can't name your army.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

So its definitely glitched too then? Blea. Guess im stuck with all caps for the name then, right?
what point is it mentioned in suikoden II? im wondering if i can load up my old SII save and see if it transferred right.. if its possible to check at all

you cant name your army in I? Are you sure? I could have sworn you could have. Its been a long time since i played this, maybe it was only II that you did that with
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

kenshindono wrote:So its definitely glitched too then? Blea. Guess im stuck with all caps for the name then, right?
what point is it mentioned in suikoden II? im wondering if i can load up my old SII save and see if it transferred right.. if its possible to check at all

you cant name your army in I? Are you sure? I could have sworn you could have. Its been a long time since i played this, maybe it was only II that you did that with

You're stuck with "Liberation Army".

In Suikoden II and onwards (Dunno about III only played it once) you can name your army. (Now that i mention it... I'm not so sure about IV but i'll leave it in here for a future edit.)
Humphrey Mintz
Location: Rotherham, England. Originally Kirkcaldy, Scotland.

Post by Humphrey Mintz »

kenshindono wrote:I got to thinking.. does what you name your castle, or army in this game glitch like the character name does? I know there are refrences to the names you picked later.. in III i think and possibly II (i dont remember where). So i was wondering if i have to name my castle and army in all caps or something like i have to do with my character.

hopefully someone has an answer since i had to stop playing when i got to the name point on this playthrough.
I'm not sure what you even mean? What do you by the castle, army and character names glitch? I've never come across anything like that while I was playing any of the games. Or at least, I didn't notice it.
Hirathien wrote:(Now that i mention it... I'm not so sure about IV but i'll leave it in here for a future edit.)
You can name your army. I remember because I named my army "Calamity" and they refered to it throughout the game as "The Calamity" which amused me. XD
"Even in the forest, not just at night, during your work, praise the King" - Zombie, Suikoden

"All this killing... in front of a children!" - Mathiu Silverburg, Suikoden

"ᵍËMᵐʰ" - Futch, Suikoden II
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Humphrey Mintz wrote:I'm not sure what you even mean? What do you by the castle, army and character names glitch? I've never come across anything like that while I was playing any of the games. Or at least, I didn't notice it.

You see, in the NTSC version when you name Tir, Tir. When you load that data into Suikoden II, NTSC version his name will be TcDohl. That's the glitch, it's something with his name. This was fixed with the PAL version, which is why you might not have encountered it.
Humphrey Mintz

Post by Humphrey Mintz »

Haha I actually got it on import and I came across this but I didn't think it was a glitch. I just assumed they didn't want to give that character the same name as your new main character if you named them both the same (I did in both, after myself) but still wanted to keep a personal touch to it. I actually thought having ScDohl on my team was quite cool. XD So what about the castle and army? I don't remember encountering anything like that with those.
"Even in the forest, not just at night, during your work, praise the King" - Zombie, Suikoden

kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

so i know you definatly dont name the army in I now, tnx. But can anyone else confirm if the castle name is glitched, and if i'll have to do all CAPS for the name if i want it to transfer over? Raww seems to think it is but im wondering if anyone else has checked

Also i was trying to remember when the castle name gets refrenced in the later games. I remember in III i think its durring the play and in some books maybe. But what about in II? I seem to recall a nation gets named after something.. either your castle in I becomes the new nation in II, or your army name in II becomes the new nation after the war. Does anyone remember which one it was?
Humphrey Mintz

Post by Humphrey Mintz »

Well, I certainly don't remember them saying anything weird for the castle names in any of the games but then again, I have a terrible memory. Does it really annoy people that badly though? I never really minded the whole ScDohl thing. I'd rather them refer to him as ScDohl in the second game than STU in the first anyways haha.

I can't remember for the life of me what gets named after something in the second game, but I do remember them making a reference to it and I'm pretty sure it wasn't glitched or anything, but like I say, my memory isn't the greatest. As for in III, I suppose I didn't see any references because I couldn't import my save data from II. But I don't remember why... o_O

kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

i loaded up III and the character name from I does not seem to transfer right regardless. The names from II went over to III right, but the play with the scarlet moon empire has the main character named Mcdohl Mcdohl o_O Does the name from the first game just not transfer over? There doesn't seem to be any refrence to the castle name either unless i looked in the wrong spot.

but i think most of the refrences are in II though i cant remember where they are at all. Can anyone fill me in?

Also still wondering if one more person can verify if the castle name has to be in all CAPS like the heroes' name does for it to transfer over to II right (and wondering why it doesn't seem to transfer to III at all the name should have been 1337-1)
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

found this on gamefaqs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/198844-s ... i/55006161

so if thats right, even naming your castle in all CAPS wont help. IT just takes the first letter no matter what. Not sure if thats correct or not though
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

why would it be first letter + "ora" and not "oran" for Toran?
Shinyo

Post by Shinyo »

KFCrispy wrote:why would it be first letter + "ora" and not "oran" for Toran?
Who knows?
But it's true, I recently completed both games again, and the castle name in II was glitched (Dragon castle -> Dora castle).
I think it was mentioned in one of the "old books" in II.. and AFAIK it was the only part of the game where the name appears though..

I also remember reading about this glitch somewhere else (the walkthrough maybe?).
Check out my blog for random fun stuff and reviews!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it might be mentioned in Gregminster by the bookcase near the McDohl statue. i remember that area might have mixed up the first 2 letters of the castle name compared to the Old Book's..
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

well we'll see. I neamed it KAKUMEI castle in all caps i'll post what it is in II

where exactly does it show up in II? in an old book or a bookcase? i honestly cant recall