marco cup problems

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
kenshindono

marco cup problems

Post by kenshindono »

i never bothered with this last time i played but i figure i'll get everyones weapon up so having a nice cushion at the start is a good idea.. the problem is i cant figure out the marco cup game thing. I checked a few faqs over at gamefaqs and the brief description here but none seem right. I first tried writing down about 10 numbers @ 100 bits then quiting, and talking to her again. I then bet 1000 and tried repeating the pattern but it changed. Strange i thought so i reset the game and tried it again and it was different again.

so i reset the game and started again @100. this time for 6 turns and got RMR MRM. I selected quit, saved game at the inn and went back and tried betting at 1000.. that time it worked! i did that about twice more, quitting after every successful 6 and saving. until i had enough for 10,000. It worked once for 10,000 then it sudenly went RLR R.. and i stoped there and reset the system. I tried again and it was wrong again. I reset yet again, and this time it did the RMR MRM pattern again. It worked a few more times then screwed up again like 4 times in a row.

eventually it got back on the pattern for about 4 goes then messed up again

I guess i just dont really get how this works. Does the amount you bet effect it? what causes it to just change like that?

The main thing im wondering is how high you should count your pattern. I didn't want to go really long like my first because i never saw it repeat that one again. Can someone clarify how the heck to do this. It doesn't seem to follow any ryme or reason, and just having a 6 win pattern that works only sometimes seems forcing me to just reset every other time or so seems like it would take forever. Id really like to at least go as high as 9 or 10
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: marco cup problems

Post by KFCrispy »

Marco's cup game has a fixed pattern while he's in Rockland and gets randomized afterwards. if you're having this problem in Rockland, i'm not sure what to say.... from my experience (and everyone else's), the Rockland pattern is fixed for your game (for my disc, it was the same pattern across multiple new games). The pattern doesn't depend on money bet or anything--you just quit and talk to him again to start the pattern over.

It sounds like you're playing in HQ.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Not true. the pattern has never actually worked for me as per the gamefaqs and suikosource description. The closest i've ever gotten to it working that way was my last play thru where it cycled thru 2 different patterns and i just had to hit it at the right time. And yes, it was in Rockland, before and after capturing Varkas and Sydonia for Grady. Not in the warriors village, nor in the HQ. Its pointless to play that game for money when you can rig the dice game at your HQ
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the specific pattern listed in some gamefaqs section/FAQ is not consistent with everyone's discs, but what should be true is that Marco's pattern will repeat while he's in Rockland. for me, every New Game i've played on my disc has had the same exact pattern (not the one on gamefaqs), but i guess for others it changes on a New Game... best thing to do is right it down when playing a brand new game and you *should* be able to quit the mini-game and start the pattern again in Rockland.

i really doubt there were so many differences in different discs that it would cause the behavior of Marco's Rockland games to differ so drastically. too much effort would have been involved in getting different versions of the game out there, one with a fixed pattern for Marco and one that randomizes it completely.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

i agree with that KFC, but it doesnt change the fact that it actually did not repeat for me, or apparently for this guy. I found a way around it this play thru, but its not the same strategy that other people claim works. Not that it really matters, its not hard to make money in Suikoden.
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

its random. it seems to repeat a lot of the time but not always. Sometimes itll repeat for 4 or 5 cycles then it will not suddenly. I just have to save after every set. More time consuming than usual but oh well.