Fortune rune or Prosperity rune?

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Noob21

Fortune rune or Prosperity rune?

Post by Noob21 »

Thought I would have more luck here than Gamspot, I played this game years ago

So I checked most FAQs and they say it's the only time I can get either runes (beginning of the game)

One FAQ mentions that I can still get the Prosperity rune from an enemy (siren)

Any ideas?
LanceHeart

Re: Fortune rune or Prosperity rune?

Post by LanceHeart »

While the Fortune Rune is somewhat useful early on in the game, its usefulness dies off once you reach the latter parts of the game (most especially once you get the castle). Prosperity, on the other hand, increases the amount of EXP you get, which means you're looking at faster level ups for party members.

In the end, neither is really a good substitute to actually having a good attack or magic rune, but they're useful for grinding.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Ellyos

Post by Ellyos »

Prosperity Rune can be obtained against Siren in Kirov Area (I farmed around 4 hours to get it -.-, so it's probably faster to get it at the beginning of the game).
Exp x2 is good for Power leveling, else it's not so awesome.

I think Fortune Rune is better at the beginning since we often lack money to buy gear for all team.
In last parts, it's making character building faster, but the impact is less important.

Anyway, if you get one of these runes at the beginning and equip McDohl with it, don't forget to detach it before Ted transfer you the Soul Eater.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Fortune rune is worthless once you get Gaspar.

Konami made Suikoden 1 interesting. You need an INSANE amount of money...but it's also INSANELY easy to get. Just play Gaspar and get 999999 money...then spend it all and get it back.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

It is Fortune Rune that doubles your EXP, and Prosperity that doubles your money. :lol:

The latter is easier to get at the beginning (do the sidequest with two characters instead of one), more useful for characters like Gremio until you get your castle and - of course - Fortune Rune can be bought easily later while the other is a very rare loot. So imo all good reasons to go with the Properity.
Ellyos

Post by Ellyos »

CelesDestiny wrote:It is Fortune Rune that doubles your EXP, and Prosperity that doubles your money.
gaah.... I always switch them :evil:
lungfish

Post by lungfish »

hahah Celes thank you for clearing it up before I had a chance to.
i was like 'what is everyone talking about.. they have it all twisted.'

the fortune rune is the one to pick.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

lungfish wrote:the fortune rune is the one to pick.
:shock:
SuikoMJM

Post by SuikoMJM »

No! The Prosperity Rune is the one to pick!

That's the one that gives double experience, right?

:wink:
BadPotato

Post by BadPotato »

please read completly his post, again :mrgreen:
CelesDestiny wrote:It is Fortune Rune that doubles your EXP, and Prosperity that doubles your money. :lol:

The latter is easier to get at the beginning (do the sidequest with two characters instead of one), more useful for characters like Gremio until you get your castle and - of course - Fortune Rune can be bought easily later while the other is a very rare loot. So imo all good reasons to go with the Properity.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I think SuikoMJM was making a joke. . .

Anyway, it's up to your personal taste. Neither is necessary. Although I went for prosperty because you don't get Gaspar's bottomless pockets until later in the game. But levelling up is so easy in this game experience isn't necessary.
SuikoMJM

Post by SuikoMJM »

Was my joke that bad? :?

Regardless of what it does, get the Prosperity Rune because it's the only opportunity to get it easy, like Celes said. The other one can be had effortlessly infinite later on.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

I noticed your wink. But most of the time, my eyes just fly over the smileys and I don't pay them much attention. That could have been what happened with Potato.

I'm a little confused about the fortune rune. In all the other games, it doubles experience for only the person equipped with it. It seems like you all are saying that it doubles experience for the whole party.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Fortune Runes double exp for the user only.