How is it that game reveiwers give Suikoden bad reveiws

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
calimier

How is it that game reveiwers give Suikoden bad reveiws

Post by calimier »

I looked on multiple sites (that are not suikoden fan sites) and they all basicly said " Another bad game for this seres" But the only real bad GAMES in the suikoden seres were suikoden tactics and Suikoden 4
StalkerPizza

Re: How is it that game reveiwers give Suikoden bad reveiws

Post by StalkerPizza »

GameFAQs ratings
Suikoden: 8.5
Suikoden II: 9.3
Suikoden III: 8.1
Suikoden IV: 6.9
Suikoden V: 8.5
Suikoden Tactics: 6.8

To me it doesn't really matter what the individual ratings are. The overall is the one that matters. (I'll still get the game, but I won't ignore the ratings)
I sort of understand why they rate it bad, tho.
The suikoden games require mass grinding, equipment is expensive, wars are sort of difficult, there are 108 characters to recruit and it isn't easy to do so, there are not many "MP" healing items, etc.
To some game players, this seems like way too much of a challenge compared to most RPGs like Final Fantasy, therefore, they rate it bad.
Last edited by StalkerPizza on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The silent voice within one's heart whispers the most profound wisdom
-Nyx Avatar from Persona 3-
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

To me, it doesn't matter what any reviewer says. If I see a game, like the game. . no matter what some review site says, I'll get the game.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Overdose52

Post by Overdose52 »

Ranger hits the nail on the head for me, I feel the same way.

Most of the suikoden games have been fairly well recieved, alot of places also dislike it as its a rather less popular franchise and unrecognised than others. Some people just give bad reviews off the fact they are unfamiliar with it and do not give it time. Though looking at the GameFAQs reviews they seem quite good.

I don't know about the difficulty thing...suikoden as rpgs go is a rather easy series.
vanyelvor

Post by vanyelvor »

yeah it is pretty easy its stright foword
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Its weird that Tactics would be so badly received when in has such a good replay value...

But i have to agree with stalker pizza on this. Its the overall complete difference between the Suikoden Series and every other established RPG franchise that causes bad reviews. It doesnt fit the stereotypes or the expectations, and is therefore sub par.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Personally, I love Suikoden IV for its nostalgic music even with many gamers implying it to be the worst Suikoden game. Dunnow why, coz my first Suiko4 was a pirated one-- got busted easily. I played it many times and I couldn't find another game of it till last May, bought an orig game. so I guess that's why it's nostalgic.

Anyway, I don't really appreciate Suiko3.. played it once and never again. Maybe because I played the 3 latest games first before it, so I was expecting more than what I saw.. Just got it last May too.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Game Rankings, which show an average of reviews has:

Suikoden 81.7%
Suikoden II 81.0%
Suikoden III 86.2%
Suikoden IV 67.1%
Suikoden Tactics 69.4%
Suikoden V 78.9%

I'd say those are all very favourable reviews (except IV of course). I think the reviewers are very kind to Suikoden. It's just that the games don't seem to sell well (relatively speaking).

So I don't know where you get the idea that reviewers are saying "another bad game" what site was that?
Jimba

Post by Jimba »

Runemaster wrote: Anyway, I don't really appreciate Suiko3.. played it once and never again. Maybe because I played the 3 latest games first before it, so I was expecting more than what I saw.. Just got it last May too.
It has good replay value though because you can pick a different flame champion. As far as the best one, have you ever played S2 runemaster? I highly recommend S2 it is my favorite.
"Old heroes should die eventually to wish to have an eternal life....is unnatural after all." Jimba-- "Father" Chris -- "I was not a good father to you Chris goodbye." Jimba
JanusThePaladin

i'm confused on why so many people dont like Suikoden 4.
StalkerPizza

Post by StalkerPizza »

JanusThePaladin wrote:i'm confused on why so many people dont like Suikoden 4.
Bad things about 4:
1. 4 people party
2. Easy Battles
3. Easy Warfare
4. Characters personalities = Bleh
5. Repetitive
6. Ship movement takes longer than it should
7. A vast majority of the characters suck.
8. Little to no characters are actually involved in the storyline. Most of them are just there.
9. The villain is hidden until later in the game and when he is revealed, his background is poorly revealed.
10. Encounter rate is too high
11. Short

Good Things:
1. Rune is interesting
2. Ted
3. "MP" healing items
4. Good Music
5. Voices
6. Mini games
The bad outweighs the good.
The silent voice within one's heart whispers the most profound wisdom
-Nyx Avatar from Persona 3-
JanusThePaladin

i never really thought of it as that bad. Maybe i'm just naive. So whats everyone's problem with Suikoden Tactics then?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I like Suikoden tactics, but...

The Story is rather lame, imo. Not really engaging :/
Too simple for a strategy game? I dunno, the only Strategy Games I've played are FFTA(which is really TOO simple) and Front Mission(which I really liked..)...

But I like it, it has the best New Game + of all Suikodens and the battles are fun.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Jimba wrote:
Runemaster wrote: Anyway, I don't really appreciate Suiko3.. played it once and never again. Maybe because I played the 3 latest games first before it, so I was expecting more than what I saw.. Just got it last May too.
It has good replay value though because you can pick a different flame champion. As far as the best one, have you ever played S2 runemaster? I highly recommend S2 it is my favorite.
I have and it's my most super hyper ultimate supreme mega favorite game! haha. I think almost all Suiko fans who've played SII have it as their favorite Suiko game.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Let's try and stick to discussing why reviewers liked or disliked Suikoden and not what one is our own personal favourite, there are review and opinion threads in each gameplay forum for that.

I am somewhat perplexed at why reivewers gave Tactics a bad score as well. Perhaps strategy games are graded more harshly then RPGs because Tactics is a sold game.