Suikoden Novels (not Outlaws Of The Marsh)

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
KC_MCDOHL

Suikoden Novels (not Outlaws Of The Marsh)

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Was wondering if anyone has ever read any fantasy novels that has largely reminded them of the Suikoden series? I read a series called The Artefacts Of Power which largely felt, to me, like Final Fantasy 7. They don't have much in common besides the fact that they are both fantasy, it was just the epic feel to the books that reminded me of FF7. Have any of you read any novels that largely remind you of Suikoden or have a Suikoden feel to them? It would be good to read one. I'm in the middle of re-reading abook called Tigana which has similarities in feeling and character developmentbut nothing too major.
Quing

Re: Suikoden Novels (not Outlaws Of The Marsh)

Post by Quing »

The only book (aside from Outlaws of the Marsh) that I can think of just at the moment that reminds me of Suikoden is Lord Valentine's Castle, though I'm not sure that it qualifies as a "fantasy novel." Is it science fiction? No, certainly not hard science fiction. Is it fantasy? No, it has aliens, and most of its social structure is technological. Anyway, it has a very Suikodenesque feel. The main character, Valentine, reminds me of a Tenkai star, a bit, and the world is friendly in a Suikoden-like way.

Another thing that I just thought of that has that same sort of feel is The Dying Earth books by Jack Vance. I haven't read much of them, but their feel is somewhat Suikodenesque. Or I suppose you could always try The Well at the World's End. It takes place over a small area but has sort of an epic feel. Still, it doesn't feel quite as comfy as the Suikoden world does. Really, it reminds me of Outlaws of the Marsh more than it reminds me of Suikoden. Anyway, there's my thoughts for the moment.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Excellent feedback! I might just give them a read. I finished Tigana a few weeks ago, I would recomend it to anyone. Its not perfect, it has its flaws, but the deep character development and the high thinking strategy involved in the story reminds me much of Suikoden. It is by Guy Gavriel Kay, check it out guys if youre looking for something new to read and haven't read it already
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I recommend Romance of the Three Kingdoms. It has all the wartime elements that Suikoden is most famous for. It's epic.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Oh, excellent. I knew that was a game but never knew it was a book. This sounds like a must read. Does it have similar character development and poetic plot the same way Suikoden does?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

you thought Romance of the Three Kingdoms was just a game?! the game series is just one of the millions of things based on the original novel... it's extremely long but there's shortened versions out there. i'm pretty sure there's a large amount of character development, which is why there are so many famous people from that point in history.
promethez

Post by promethez »

it's not even just a novel! it was what really happened! the wars really did take plave in history and all the characters did exist!