Suikoden one of Top 7 Mispronounced Game Names

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Night

Re: Suikoden one of Top 7 Mispronounced Game Names

Post by Night »

darkphoenix wrote:L'Renouille is pronounced "el rah noo yah" at least in French
The French wouldn't pronounce L' as 'el,' it would be 'le.'
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

GrymReaper wrote:
Sonic wrote:I personally pronounce it "Luh Ren Wee", but frenched up a bit with a corny French-Canadian accent.
Try Luh-Ren-Wahh.
Ooh, yeah, I like that even better.
Yeah!
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Thanks for the info, dudes!
Well, that really shed some light on. I really felt guilty whenever I say the name:"Suikoden". But thanks for the correct pronounciation...I owe you one!
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
dave

Post by dave »

a friend of mine always pronounced it "sue-ee-ko-din" and I had pronounced it "soy-ko-din" around the time 2 came out.
SuikoMJM

Post by SuikoMJM »

I always pronounced it soo-ee-ko-den, four syllables.

Swee, soo-ee, close enough.

I just think of Naruto and suiton. Sweeten... swee-ton. :P Or soo-ee-ton. Japanese voice actors say it so fast regardless, it's hard to tell. I may just be nitpicking.
genso19

Post by genso19 »

yeah, I got the correct one after years

I first pronounce it as Sho-Koh-Den (my cousin says so) but I finally did swee-koh-den because of "Suiton" from Naruto haha
"Hey, listen up! These Godwin traitors got no respect for justice. And sure, sometimes justice is just a little word. But sometimes justice is three feet of sharp steel smashing in your face. Now, let's go get 'em!"
Nightwing_56

Post by Nightwing_56 »

Lol, I always thought it was pronounced Sue-ko-den. Now I just feel like a n00b.
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Night wrote:
darkphoenix wrote:L'Renouille is pronounced "el rah noo yah" at least in French
The French wouldn't pronounce L' as 'el,' it would be 'le.'

The French probably wouldn't put an L' as the article for a noun beginning with R.

Anyways, The French would likely pronounce Renouille Ruh-noo-yuh with the last yuh being very short just enough to get the "y" sound in. Similar to "grenouille" which means frog.
Kirke

Post by Kirke »

Good to see Suikoden in the news. My little sister used to pronounce it Sooky-odin... always gave me a chuckle.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I truely think if the game had a differnt name more people would buy it. I told my friend the name (Then wrote it down) and he was like "WTF kind of a name is that"
I was insulted and told him I was upset with that comment and he doesn't deserve to play "Su-ko-dein' by accedent, he laughed. I was SAD :(

UH so anyway, were I'm trying to get with this is why Suikoden?? Why not something that people could SAY so they could tell thier friends about it without getting laughed at.
And yes I still can't say it right. :cry:
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

I dunno. I feel like the demographic of people turned off by a Japanese sounding name where "Suikoden"'s difficult to pronoucne name is funny to them, probably aren't the type of people who would be very into RPGs to begin with, let alone one as intricate and complex and Suikoden with 108 characters and all. (that made no grammatical sense, but im not going abck to change it)

personally the name was kind of intriguing to me. My first suik game was 4 (unfortunately) and I was attracted to the anime style cover and the fact that it had a japanese souding name with kanji on the cover (i like japanese games) and i bought it without much info on it just becuase of that. And it led to me to alot more. Before I knew it I bought s3 and was bidding on 1 and 2 on ebay.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I dunno. I feel like the demographic of people turned off by a Japanese sounding name where "Suikoden"'s difficult to pronoucne name is funny to them, probably aren't the type of people who would be very into RPGs to begin with, let alone one as intricate and complex and Suikoden with 108 characters and all. (that made no grammatical sense, but im not going abck to change it)

I guess it depends on the person. If someone is a fan of the games liek Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts or any RPG with an english sounding name, they still might be turned off by the name, however I think it all depends on the person, I don't care about a name as long as the game is good. 8)
Before I knew it I bought s3 and was bidding on 1 and 2 on ebay.
Did you ever get 1 and 2 on Ebay or did you just reach the bidding part? :?
-Chaco
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Chaco wrote:Did you ever get 1 and 2 on Ebay or did you just reach the bidding part? :?
Oh I got 'em.
DocOwer

Post by DocOwer »

If the games' title would have been correctly translated, wouldn't the title then be "Water Margin"?
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

If the games' title would have been correctly translated, wouldn't the title then be "Water Margin"?
I like Suikoden better then Water Margin, that doesn't even make sence!! But yeah I think that's what the Suikoden means. I don't mind the name I just wish it was easier to say so I could tell friends about it. :roll:
-Chaco