Suikoden 2 Ranked #55 Best Game of All Time

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Riouthebrightshieldhero

Post by Riouthebrightshieldhero »

It ranks #1 with me.
II, I, V, IV, III
Dio

Post by Dio »

Pollensalta wrote:
Raging Barows Brat wrote:though in my opinion, it is the wrong one.
Not necessarily the WRONG one, just not all of the right ones are on there. I thought that all but S4 and ST deserve to be on there, actually. And as for FF7, I'm not saying it doesn't deserve to be on the list. I really think that it does. Pretty much all the FFs besides X-2 deserve to be. But I am glad it's not in the top 10 because it's not THAT good.[/quote

Maybe it just carries a certain sentiment for me because of the time in my life when i first played it but I really do think FF7 WAS all that good and should certainly have achieved greater acclaim in said pole than the likes of Castlevania and Super Metroid!

FF7 was pretty much the sole reason that I (and I think a lot of of others) began taking an interest in other RPGs, anime and manga etc and led me to try out games like the Suikoden Series and Breath of Fire which I may not have done if such a well publicised game hadnt come on the market in the first place.

Thrilled to see that Goldeneyes top dog on the shoot em up front, personally id have put Perfect Dark ahead of Halo as well.

And whadda you talking about, FFX2 was amazing it was like Final Fantasy: Charlies Angels! :D
True Tir Mcdohl

Post by True Tir Mcdohl »

Final Fantasy VII was one of the biggest impact games within the gaming world period. Before 1997, not alot of people took rpg's seriously (Even within the business standpoint) except hardcore rpgers, and Fighting Games dominated the scenes(Early to Mid 90's was the Fighting game Era), after FFVII came out, the rpg genre dominated for a few years to come afterwards.

FFVII put SE on the board, and was the game that pushed them into the forefront as the new powerhouse gaming company. We saw a big rise in rpg's in the year 98 and especially 99, however all of this was due to the wide success of FFVII.

It was the first rpg within the US that appealed to not just rpg fans, but to general gaming players as well. There is no denying this, it was visible for me personally when many of my friends never even heard of Final Fantasy I-VI, nor even bothered to play games like Chrono Trigger or FFVI (III here) or rpg's all together, however when VII came out, that's all I could hear back in HS about how breathtaking that game was.

After VII came out, I saw alot of people scooping up the older Square games like like FF VI, Secret of Mana and CT. Also, not alot of people knew about Final Fantasy, or if they did hear about Final Fantasy, didn't really care too much for it until after VII's release.

Being a FF gamer since the late 80's when it first came out, Final Fantasy VII deserves the most credit within the original FF series(Yes, even moreso then FFVI). It's just so sad that the Top 100 list posted seemed nothing more than a Popularity Contest.

Seriously Soul Calibur at #6? This game was great no doubt, but it wasn't as great or as successful as Tekken3 and especially TekkenTag, those where the two games that really pushed Namco forward, especially TekkenTag.

Not saying a game like Zelda Orcarina of Time isn't good, because it was a great game, but being at #1 in Top 100 of All Time? That's giving it way too much credit.

Without a doubt, as within my previous post of my #1 and #2 choice of games should deserve those two spots.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Hm.

The lack of Final Fantasy IX, Tactics, Tactics Advanced, and Phoenix Wright disturb me.
Jiang Hu Warrior

Post by Jiang Hu Warrior »

That's great news for the Suikoden fandom. :D
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Though I'm happy to see Suikoden II make the list, I'm even more elated that Chrono Trigger hit # 2!

Actually several of my favorite RPG's hit the list Disgaea, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, though sadly no Phantasy Star IV :cry:
Jodan

Post by Jodan »

did anyone see star ocean no because its just obscure enough the only reason they put s2 on there is cause we would have formed a lynch mob if they hadn't

as for ff they used to be good but now they are starting to feel mass produced. XII was predictable and they couldnt even createa new world to explore.

sorry i think good games should get there due
IT'S CALLED SUIKOCRACK!!!
want some
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

as for the number one spot, I would also have to disagree, I thought Zelda: Link to the Past was a better game, not graphically(hell, it was on the SNES) but story and gameplay it was.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Jodan wrote:as for ff they used to be good but now they are starting to feel mass produced. XII was predictable and they couldnt even createa new world to explore.

You mean Matsuno's Ivalice? They did it on purpose, not because "they couldn't create another world".
trying_touch

Post by trying_touch »

i don't really understand the big fuss about this list...

it made number thirty-two... that's great...but before i played suikoden two, i didn't hear anyone say anything great about it...

most reviews i came across when it did come out criticized its reluctance to move to three-D and such...

i already fell in love with the suikoden games...even four... and not because of blind fanaticism... but because suikoden two did it for me, and whatever "mistake" the series might make, i can forgive...i can find good things in...

and i don't need a list to solidify that...
MrTomJoad

Post by MrTomJoad »

I really liked the list and I'm glad Suikoden 2 made the list, especially so high. This is definately worlds better than Gamefaqs top 100 list which was just a joke.

I was also glad to see Advance Wars on the list, since its my favorite handheld seires, but really the second game is worlds better, so I don't see why it wasn't on the list. By the way, how old is the list because there are some new games that deserve a spot on it. Most notably, Twilight Princess.

I also think its really cool how well RPGs did as a genre. They completely dominated the list. But for Final Fantasy, come on. I mean I'm glad they didn't put 7 as high as most people do, but why wasn't 6 on the list. I really love all the FF games except 7, which is weird I know. I just hate that game, but I love 3,4,6,8, and 10. Tactics was sweet too.
MarkSee

Post by MarkSee »

Resident Evil 4 at #3?
To be fair, it was, indeed, an excellent game and probably better than the other Resident Evils, but third greatest of all time?

Suikoden V needs to be on there too. :D
That is all.