Suikoden 2 Ranked #55 Best Game of All Time

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Suikoden 2 Ranked #55 Best Game of All Time

Post by dragonmasterx »

Details and the List here.

Just wanted to share that tidbit.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

You mean #36?

It wiped the floor with FFX, and almost reached Xenogears!

I would personally put it higher, but that's still a damn impressive score, much higher than I would expect from a popularity contest.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Guitar Hero on top 30? Meh. I already puked at the list's integrity.

But if the authors were to honestly prove they don't know Guitar Freaks, I'll set my anger into forgiver phase.
addrpg

Post by addrpg »

If you look at it in context, Suikoden 2 was rated 11th best RPG of all time - most of its betters being Zelda.

Very fitting of one of the most under-rated series of all time.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

I'm rather shocked.

I never imagined it would get that high in a popularity contest.
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

Post by Wicked_Rune_Bearer »

i've always said that ocarina of time is the best rpg ever made. Not that i agree with that, i myself say suikoden, but even if you don't agree with something doesn't mean it isn't true. I've always enjoyed this game. It is one of those games that is truly a game that's impossisble to be bored with. There were some shockers on the list i'd say like mg2 being on the list simply shocked me. I personally think the game was poorly designed seeing as how it was nearly the same storyline as mg1 on ps1 just with a simulator as the overall background. i don't see how espn got on there either but i don't play much sports games. but i know espn wasn't that great. and if there should be an ncaa, i'd say 07 istead of 04. and hell yeah goldeneye, that seriously should have been on the top 5 easily. Remember the days of n64 where we got together with our buddies and played goldeneye multiplayer in the levels of the temple and complex. Everyone does, that's why it should have been in the top 10 and i'm suprised not to see mario kart 64. anyways
A rpg-suikoden site that lets you choose your character and basically play suikoden on your computer as if it was on your ps console
http://z14.invisionfree.com/Suikoden_Legends
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

If I'm gonna use your opinion on MGS2, then those Madden, NCAA sports games or whatever shouldn't be on the list.
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

Feldoon wrote:I'm rather shocked.

I never imagined it would get that high in a popularity contest.
I know what you mean - Suikoden isn't exactly a widely known game series, so to see it at #36 ahead of games like Half-Life is incredibly surprising.

Also, some of the choices are a bit suspect: Metal Gear Solid 2 at #55 and then Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance at #53? Hmmm, seems a bit pointless, especially considering Deus Ex's absence from the list.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

The List wrote:The story is of Squaresoft quality,
My . . . such high praise :roll:

I have to say the remainder of the list makes sense to me though except Majora's mask isn't good enough to be a coaster for my garbage can.

And no Silent Hill? :cry:
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Oppenheimer wrote:
The List wrote:The story is of Squaresoft quality,
My . . . such high praise :roll:
I was gonna post that, but I was sure I'd be bashed XD
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Haha, and FF7 isn't on the top 10! I'm sick of it being so over-rated.

Hell yeah.
Purr.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

All of the PS1 FF heroes, and Tidus, have sucked. They aren't manly men like the previous FF heroes have been. Heck, Terra was more of a man than Cloud, or that lame attempt at a FF super saiyan, Zidane.(Squall doesn't even count. His angst is just too great >_> and Tidus was more woman than Lulu, always complaining about how his father doesn't love him and crying about it.)
I hope everything is going delicious.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I liked FF VII before it became so bloody popular. I always loved FFVI and IV. But VIII-XI are such melodramatic tripe. I completely agree there. I'm still going to buy XII but if it sucks it'll be the last time I buy one that isn't super cheap. I'm almost at the end of my rope for Squeenix. But le sigh how I loved Chrono Trigger.

However I did like the bad guy in IX, he was almost a narcissist haha
Raftrider

Post by Raftrider »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:All of the PS1 FF heroes, and Tidus, have sucked. They aren't manly men like the previous FF heroes have been. Heck, Terra was more of a man than Cloud, or that lame attempt at a FF super saiyan, Zidane.(Squall doesn't even count. His angst is just too great >_> and Tidus was more woman than Lulu, always complaining about how his father doesn't love him and crying about it.)

I love you.

I believe some of the games on this list ought to be kicked to the back of the list...Oh well, at least Final Fantasy VII wasn't in the top 10.
Raging Barows Brat

Post by Raging Barows Brat »

Hmm. I almost hate to say this, but here goes: I loved FFVII. Of course, I also loved it before the “hype”. And I’m sorry, I love Cloud. Yes, he’s somewhat of a whiny idiot. But I think I like him because he’s flawed, and I tend to sympathize with flawed characters as opposed to the perfect “manly” types anyhow. Part of what helps Cloud for me is that he also realizes he is flawed, so there is a measure of humility within him that is to be acknowledged. And FFVII had the coolest collection of mini-games ever. I can spend hours in the Gold Saucer just snowboarding.

I agree about Tidus wholeheartedly, though. I could not stand him, and he made Cloud look like the epitome of maturity. The voice acting sure didn’t help. For that matter, every character in FFX grated on my nerves. This goes for almost everything that has happened in the FF series since VII.

It’s good to see someone here shares my love for Chrono Trigger. :)

I’m personally more disappointed Suikoden I isn’t on the list. I also seem to be in the minority in that I liked the original best. I am glad to see a Suikoden game in the mix, and so high at that, though in my opinion, it is the wrong one.

*runs to get a head start from the angry, torch-wielding mob*

I can't complain, really. It is, after all, a popularity contest and a silly list, so I'm glad to even have the series mentioned.
Alcholism is a disease, but it's like the only disease that you can get yelled at for having. "Dammit, Otto, you're an alcoholic." "Dammit, Otto, you have lupus." One of those two doesn't sound right. --Mitch Hedberg