Universal Suikoden Topic Index

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Templeton
Banned User

Universal Suikoden Topic Index

Post by Templeton »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suikoden#U ... opic_Index

I have just started this for the 2nd time and so I would like to announce that people can add links to Suikoden Posts through the USTI (Universal Suikoden Topic Index)

Thanks for your time.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

It sounds like an interesting idea, but there's no way I'd have time to help populate the list. It seems like a massive undertaking.
Templeton
Banned User

Post by Templeton »

Now that the Canadian thanksgiving is over I can make use of the library computers and thus add links.

I was wondering, Korn or anyone else, is if suikosource could withhold itself from erasing topics, and in any case, store a forum so that the USTI can always have the posts.

Also there will be more people participating hopefully, as I show others how to properly store these threads

Thank You
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

hey. i think this is a pretty good idea, but i would rather link it to articles/commentaries instead of forums. forums are controlled to an extent, but people can write anything, making it hard to find correct/valid/useful information.

as for now, that Blinking Mirror topic you linked.. is really a Suikoden 1 issue. Konami created an Important Items category after that fiasco.
Templeton
Banned User

Post by Templeton »

Thank You Krispy

I noticed the index was slightly altered, it's an indication that I should save files before adding anymore information.

I'm hoping that no one will abuse this privlege and erase the information from the index in the future. If possible, I would like it if people would save the archive before the update on their file (just incase).

As time goes by I guess people may adjust to a technique and we can make archiving a community effort and even perhaps on an international scale with using other languages from other countries.

Edit: Ok I tried adding more data to the index, and it says that I'm blocked from the wikipedia thread. What does this mean? (I'm on a restricted school computer as well, but still).
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I disabled forum pruning. I wasn't aware of there being any pruning of Suikoden-related forums, so that shouldn't be a problem. I thought only the General Discussion forum was ever pruned, and that was stopped recently.

I tested adding a topic to the index, it seems to work fine for me. It might be your school computer.

A good place to start would be our topics index, which only contains posts from Suikoden I and II Gameplay sections, but is pretty extensive for them.
Templeton
Banned User

Post by Templeton »

I added more topics to the index and I'm starting to run into problems of overlapping threads.

If someone could fix this and tell me how to prevent it in the future, it would be a great help.

Thank You
Templeton
Banned User

Post by Templeton »

Just asking, but are there forums besides Suikosource and Suikox that I can start archiving?

Thank You
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Konamistars is just a bunch of favorites topics, so it'd be hard to find topics worth archiving in there. Theirstar had a lot of good discussion but I'm sure that's all been wiped when they lost their hosting. Gamefaqs prunes their message boards so quickly that the 1 out of every 50 topics that would be worth archiving disappears within a week. I might check out Harmonia Online.
Templeton
Banned User

Post by Templeton »

I'm also interested in archiving forums from othre languages such as French, Russian, and Italian, and so I'll check out the UN of Suikoden Webring for that.

But if people can tell others in forums such as gamefaqs to save and preserve their topics and place them on dedicated sites (Suikosource and Suikox) it would be of great help.

But I predict a shacky future for the Suikoden Forums Topic Index.

Thank You
Templeton
Banned User

Post by Templeton »

Ok. It apperars that my archive has been erased; either this is a temperary situation or someone has taken it upon themselves to completly obliterate the arvhive.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

You'll have a tough time because links to fan forums can be seen as violating this wikipedia policy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:EL

It seems more than one people keep an eye on the suikoden entry to make sure your topics index gets erased to keep the entry to conform to wikipedia standards.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

The history of the page agrees with Powerpuff Yuzu....

(cur) (last) 17:27, 24 October 2006 GargoyleMT (Talk | contribs) (removal of Suikoden Forums Topic Index, forums are to be avoided per WP:EL)

From the EL:
Links to blogs, social networking sites (such as MySpace), or discussion forums unless mandated by the article itself.
An alternative (maybe...I don't know if this would conform to the policy) would be creating an article strictly for the Topics Index, which would be needed anyway once the topics index got to be a decent size.

Or your own webspace.
Templeton
Banned User

Post by Templeton »

Well, it seems that my effort to make an archive on wikipedia is futile and pointless.

So I'll begin the process of pleading with a site to hire me as a Suikoden Topic Index provider.

Suikosource could I make an international Suikoden Topic Index using your site as a host?
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Why not find a decent free host, make a basic webpage with a description to each topic and then shove a link on the Wikipedia Suikoden entry to your Topic Index near where Suikosource/SARS/TheirStar are.