Reason for Konami's decision to NOT continue main Suikoden verse?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
RevKoden

Reason for Konami's decision to NOT continue main Suikoden verse?

Post by RevKoden »

I am a huge Suikoden fan, and we all know how the game has been in the closet for 10 years. Konami didn’t even try to make a sequel to continue the original Suikoden world but instead wander of into another world with the Suikoden brand name.

Plus seeing how Konami do lately...yeah. not so much good thing i predict to come out if there’s ever gonna be continuation of the original Suikoden world.

But at the same time..i do kinda...i don't know the word..respect(?) for NOT continuing the game main universe, especially after the main guy, Yoshitaka Murayama left. So optimistically, i think Konami didn't continue the main Suikoden story is because the creator left and there's no more material left for them to create the universe and finished the main storyline.

But SIV & SV? Well, Rumors said SIV & SV are remnants of Yoshitaka's work/bible that he left at Konami, so Suikoden team might have used the ones that he left behind to create SIV & SV albeit with some tweak, heck i even theorize Yoshitaka really meant to have SIV sets 150 years in the past instead of a decades or so to give some depth of mystery to the storyline. Of course this is just rumors, so hopefully more info resurfaces.

So after SIV & SV are done, there are no more materials Murayama left for Konami. Sure Konami, could just continue it..but is this really what the Suikoden that Murayama really envisioned? What if everything goes against what Murayama had in mind..? Only Murayama knows it and he doesn't want to return to Konami. Oh okay, just ignore it..but in the end what happens next would really ONLY be a fanfiction, NOT what Murayama really wants.

Sure, Suikoden still belong to Konami and them alone. You can insert another person to continue to the storyline but THERE WILL BE BOUND to have contradictions and differences (Ace Attorney series is one, a stretch i know) when that happens.

But then again MGSurvive happen. SO WHO KNOWS!
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Reason for Konami's decision to NOT continue main Suikoden verse?

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

RevKoden wrote:But at the same time..i do kinda...i don't know the word..respect(?) for NOT continuing the game main universe, especially after the main guy, Yoshitaka Murayama left.
What? Those two events are entirely unrelated. Murayama left in 2002, Konami's decision to abandon the main universe came in 2008, six years after the fact. Half the games in the main universe happened after Murayama left, there's no correlation there.

And, there's no more materials left? Yeah, the interview that SRM did with Murayama clearly show that there was never an over-arching plot, he had a vague idea where it would end up but the problem with vague ideas is that they tend to change. There are hundreds of plot threads left that will never be answered, lack of material is not the issue, if anything Komuta made it sound like there was too much material and that's why he reset the series.

If you truly consider anything not involving Murayama "fan-fiction" then the series ended at 3.

And I don't know what world you live in, but in mine the contradictions and differences have already happened, the suiko-verse is not this perfect history that you seem to be imagining.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Murayama didn't even finish III if I remember correctly.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

wataru14 wrote:Murayama didn't even finish III if I remember correctly.
He finished it, just left before it was released.
Sure, Suikoden still belong to Konami and them alone. You can insert another person to continue to the storyline but THERE WILL BE BOUND to have contradictions and differences (Ace Attorney series is one, a stretch i know) when that happens.
From the very beginning, there were contradictions, and according to Murayama, this was on purpose, as it makes the stories and events more realistic (compare it to history books nowadays in different countries). It's a lame excuse, of course, but the contradictions and inaccuracies have always been there, and only grew stronger with IV and V.

And I am sure that Murayama's book had plenty of "material" that could have been used - but most of the material was probably some short notes only.

If Konami wanted, they could have made a Suikoden VI set in the same world. They could have even used the world of Tierkreis and somehow connect it closer to the original games, but they did not want to. Now, most creative heads left Konami and there's no one left within the company who could help.