Suikoden announcement from V-Jump Festa '94

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Antimatzist

Suikoden announcement from V-Jump Festa '94

Post by Antimatzist »

Some might know that there exists a VHS tape of a Japanese video game conference, the V-Jump Festa, which had Suikoden footage on it - actually (I think) its first public announcement. OKeijiDragon from thegameinformant.com now uploaded said video footage. it's quite interesting. Here are some changes I noticed compared to the final version:
Interface
  • In Duels, your current HP are displayed as numbers, not as a bar
  • You don't see the HP of your enemy
  • The menu displaying your party's current HP during random encounters is different. It has a different frame (once, they show a fancy frame, and once a very plain one. Both are different from the final game). It also lacks the heart symbol in front of the HP.
  • The number displaying the damage has a slightly different font, I think
Content
  • A duel with Barbarosa is shown
  • One monster is a colorswap of the Strongarm. In the game, it has green skin, in this video, he looks human.
  • Some monsters are shown which are not in the final build: a griffin, a soldier, minotaurs (?) and a knight.
  • Enemies don't have an idle animation
  • Tengaar is using a spell which I think is not in the final game.
  • I think some sprites are different, but the quality is not so good so I don't know.
  • One random encounter uses a background with houses which I don't remember.
  • Neclord has a different avatar.
  • It says there are 36 True Runes instead of 27 (Murayama himself said in one of the SRM interviews that they originally planned too make 36 but changed it to 27. It seems they decided on that pretty late in development.)
Here's the link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRfBKAkDCT0

And here to the original article on thegaminformant.com:
http://www.thegameinformant.com/2016/11 ... ttons.html

If you find more differences or someone could translate the video, that would be awesome. I'll add it to this list then.
Last edited by Antimatzist on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninjaluc79

Re: Suikoden announcement from V-Jump Festa '94

Post by ninjaluc79 »

The Imperial Soldiers (?) have their faces shown (they look rather young, and it reinforced to me the belief that SME recruits their soldiers from the Warrior's Village, they kind of remind of Hix and Flik somehow), unlike in the final game where they are obscured with their helmets.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

It says there are 36 True Runes so it's very early in development. Also evident by the fact that the enemy sprites don't move at all when idle.

It's blurry so it's a bit "Something, something, dark side" but I think the relevant text says something along the lines of

"The source of all magic, the 36 True Runes, one of them,
the Soul Eater, will open the door of war."

And why the hell does Yam Koo get top billing?

Also, I really like the old logo at the end.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah, the old logo looks kinda interesting.

Can you make out what Kuromimi says?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

He seems to be saying he'll join if you give him some sweet dumplings. Specifically kibi dango, which is probably a reference to a Japanese folk tale called Momotaro where the hero fed kibi dango to a dog (and other beasts) to gain its friendship.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

The artworks used here are actually based on the official character artworks. I already knew that they changed some of them. I can totally understand it for Neclord.

In this very old looking footage, Cleo was a 1H Sword user and Viktor had a different stance :-O

Also, the fire spell Tengaar uses burns some of the trees in the background which is a cool idea.