Every game goes open world these days so...

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Neclord X

Every game goes open world these days so...

Post by Neclord X »

After watching the new faces of Zelda and GOW in the last E3, following a "Skyrimish" formula, and seeing how other franchises has gone open world too (MGS) I was wondering, how would you recieve an open world Suikoden? Would you accept it, would you reject it, would you give it a chance?

Leave here your opinions.

Personally I like a lot open worlds, in fact right now is the kind of game I enjoy more, but I just can't see Suikoden working in one of those, but in the other hand it wouldnt be the first time that a game of this kind includes massive battles of armies and castle building and such.
Antimatzist

Re: Every game goes open world these days so...

Post by Antimatzist »

It could work for a Suikoden, but it'd also be pretty hard. It would be really slow, I guess. On the other hand, exploring the country like that could also be nice, and it could open some possibilities (you have to built traps before army battles and such). I'd prefer a traditional approach, though.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Sorry if this question sounds stupid, but what's an open world game? I don't follow current gaming industry,so...
jacques-daniels

Post by jacques-daniels »

at this point i'd settle for just another suikoden game open world or not
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Sasarai10 wrote:Sorry if this question sounds stupid, but what's an open world game? I don't follow current gaming industry,so...
There's not a really fixed definition for it, but generally it's a game world where you can set out in any direction you like, and go most anywhere you wish from the start. There will be quest-lines you can follow when it suits you to do so, or you can play the game like an MMO and just seek out the toughest or most rewarding enemies you're capable of killing.

For the role-playing variety, MMORPGs are a good analogy. Skyrim is sort of like a single-player MMORPG in a lot of ways. Then there are games like the Batman Arkham series or Shadows of Mordor that lock you out of quite a bit of character progression or areas, but because they let you roam wide areas pretty freely, and pursue missions however and whenever you like they're considered open-world.

The definition is pretty plastic, though. I see stuff on Steam tagged as open-world because there's a mission system you can choose from. Every map is locked to particular missions, and you can't roam anywhere but HQ without a mission being active. However, since missions don't need to be done in a particular order, it has "open-world" in its tag list.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

All the Suikoden games are pretty open world any way. Heck, suikoden 1 probably was the first open world game released on PS1. they are non-linear in that you can halt progress of the main storyline by not speaking to the tactician, and wandering off to recruit characters and fight monsters and go shopping and play mini games and level up your characters. So it wouldn't be much of a stretch to make a MORE open world Suikoden game with lots of side quests. I wouldn't say no to a Suikoden game where it does not end after winning the war, and you can carry on doing random quests and building the characters you've recruited until you feel satisfied or bored enough to finish and start again from scratch.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Pyriel wrote:
There's not a really fixed definition for it, but generally it's a game world where you can set out in any direction you like, and go most anywhere you wish from the start. There will be quest-lines you can follow when it suits you to do so, or you can play the game like an MMO and just seek out the toughest or most rewarding enemies you're capable of killing.

For the role-playing variety, MMORPGs are a good analogy. Skyrim is sort of like a single-player MMORPG in a lot of ways. Then there are games like the Batman Arkham series or Shadows of Mordor that lock you out of quite a bit of character progression or areas, but because they let you roam wide areas pretty freely, and pursue missions however and whenever you like they're considered open-world.

The definition is pretty plastic, though. I see stuff on Steam tagged as open-world because there's a mission system you can choose from. Every map is locked to particular missions, and you can't roam anywhere but HQ without a mission being active. However, since missions don't need to be done in a particular order, it has "open-world" in its tag list.
I see, thanks.

But as sticky-rune said, SI was like that more or less. But in SII this trait was more "visible", especially when you use Matilda Glitch at an early point.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Personally, I wouldn't call the Suikoden games open-world, simply because there aren't a lot of alternatives to the main quest other than recruiting and mini-games (and grinding your main party or getting the dregs caught up). The world is eventually open to you, like pretty much every JRPG, but aside from a few side-quests, it's not like you'll head into a town you've visited before and discover three new quest-lines that have no bearing on the main quest and have no effect on the outcome of the game. Although, the games do sometimes give you little bonuses for abandoning the plot, and exploring the parts of the world available to you. So I can see how it might fit into some definitions of the term.

For me, "open-world", means I can start the game, and after a short prologue, I can say to hell with the main quest, and start a life as, say, a wandering trader while not getting bored of my harebrained scheme for a long time. Most JRPGs seem more like "free-roaming, progressively-unlocked-world" to me. But like I mentioned earlier, some people might apply "open-world" to something like FFVII Crisis Core once more than 3 missions are available. It's not like there's a fixed definition or a committee that decides.
Last edited by Pyriel on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Sounds pretty complicated then. It would be better if they remain as they are.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

It would be great to have a game set in the Suikoden world where I can create my own character and decide the race, sex and fighting style I want to focus on and say "screw the major quest, I want to just become a farmer and grow crops in a field, or a merchant and run my own trading post, or a hunter and shoot animals and sell pelts and meat, or a chef running my own restaurant, or a rune mistress and collect orbs, or a blacksmith making tools and honing weapons and armour for the local soldiers." But I imagine this would work better for a spin-off game rather than an actual numbered title.

If we were to get our suikoden 6, I would rather it stuck to the original format of the player pursuing his or her destiny as bearer of a true rune trying to resolve a conflict in his or her homeland, and of course, having the chance to dabble in all those other activities along the way via the SODs that we recruit, so that the game does not feel too linear. and as I said earlier, adding extra and respawning side quests would be fine, as it would make levelling characters up more engaging if they were taking on actual missions to slay a powerful monster or rescue villagers from bandits or discover a rare treasure in a dungeon, than simply arranging a party and wandering into random fights with no goal except getting everyone to level 50.

But I would be all for a sandbox type Suikoden spin-off where i can join a faction such as an order of knights or pirate gang or bandit gang or join a royal army, and even build my house or shop or boat and go fishing or treasure hunting, and simply live in the suikoden world and have the leisure to be as heroic or unremarkable as I see fit.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, in open-worlds like Skyrim's and Oblivion's, there's no reason to grind really. There's never a reason to not be doing a quest while you build your character, unless you just don't feel like it. If you want to go out and rid the world of Mudcrabs, you can have a go, but there's no need to spend two hours killing them exclusively, for no other reason than to be strong enough for the next boss.

A lot of RPGs would benefit from that sort of task variety. The tricky bit is that, done right, it would involve building more quest content into the game than is required to reach the level cap. I can't recall ever playing a JRPG-style game that wasn't somewhere between slightly and horribly grindy, though. I don't know if the studios really have the will to design quests instead of palette-swapping enemies from three maps ago, tweaking their stats, and calling it "variety". Even the ones with repeatable missions are just encouraging the grind, because there's usually nothing different about the mission the second time around. Well, maybe the loot is random.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I already thought that the Suikoden world would be perfect for an Elite-style game (yeah Elite is one of my references because I'm an old fart). I could imagine wandering around chosing a certain type of career, from merchant to bandit. It would be neat, the Suikoden world is diverse enough to allow that.