So... Why have we recruited this person?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Re: So... Why have we recruited this person?

Post by sticky-runes »

Suikoden 4 gave us some odd couples.

Gary and Ema. Ok, it's kinda implied that they are the ancestors of Maxilimilian, but when we first met Maximilian, he was a seasoned knight who is still trying to put up a good fight. Gary and Ema were just some random couple visiting Obel. They didn't have any occupation. They had a son who was off adventuring or something. And they stayed in Obel to help Flare look after the people until Lino returned to reclaim the kingdom. But... What exactly are they doing? Just a couple of do-gooders helping out strangers by not fighting.

And Kevin and Pam. Sure, it's handy having a couple of extra cooks for the HQ, but they joined us because the chief of Nay asked them to. They didn't seem particularly bothered that their island had been obliterated by the Kooluk and everyone they knew back home was killed instantly. They're just happy to hop on board our ship and bake cakes and pies. Maybe they write some letters for the suggestion box about their feelings towards losing Illuya, i'm not sure, but it's odd that we get these characters who really aren't any more special than some of those non-star NPCs that join our ship as volunteers.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Suikoden 4 gave us some odd couples.

Gary and Ema. Ok, it's kinda implied that they are the ancestors of Maxilimilian, but when we first met Maximilian, he was a seasoned knight who is still trying to put up a good fight. Gary and Ema were just some random couple visiting Obel. They didn't have any occupation. They had a son who was off adventuring or something. And they stayed in Obel to help Flare look after the people until Lino returned to reclaim the kingdom. But... What exactly are they doing? Just a couple of do-gooders helping out strangers by not fighting.

And Kevin and Pam. Sure, it's handy having a couple of extra cooks for the HQ, but they joined us because the chief of Nay asked them to. They didn't seem particularly bothered that their island had been obliterated by the Kooluk and everyone they knew back home was killed instantly. They're just happy to hop on board our ship and bake cakes and pies. Maybe they write some letters for the suggestion box about their feelings towards losing Illuya, i'm not sure, but it's odd that we get these characters who really aren't any more special than some of those non-star NPCs that join our ship as volunteers.
Oh on second thought all characters fill a purpose on SIV. I forgot about Mushroom VS Mint wars, where all characters except Lazlo, Mao and Nao participate.

As for Gary and Ema, well they must've done something important for sure. Otherwise why Setsu and Flare were telling them, they were very grateful for what they did for the Kingdom?
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

I always found myself wondering why I paid 100,000 potch for Watari to join the party.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Watari is one of the strongest damage dealers in the game either with normal attacks or unite attacks. He's totally worth it coz he almost always acts first in battle
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Cedric always baffled me. Yes, from a gameplay perspective he allows you to dash and has Find Treasure as a support ability. But in-universe I have no idea why you recruit him. Louise says something about how he might be useful (at what? Running away from innkeepers?), but then he never does anything at all. But even he's better than poor Oleg. Lino basically says, "Thank for showing me this video. In lieu of getting paid for it, how about you hang around here and do menial tasks for me?" The next time you see the poor guy he's hefting around rune cannon shells when you prepare to escape Obel.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

wataru14 wrote:Cedric always baffled me. Yes, from a gameplay perspective he allows you to dash and has Find Treasure as a support ability. But in-universe I have no idea why you recruit him. Louise says something about how he might be useful (at what? Running away from innkeepers?), but then he never does anything at all. But even he's better than poor Oleg. Lino basically says, "Thank for showing me this video. In lieu of getting paid for it, how about you hang around here and do menial tasks for me?" The next time you see the poor guy he's hefting around rune cannon shells when you prepare to escape Obel.
Oleg does nothing at all indeed. Except from being part of the Engineer team, in Mushroom vs Mint wars. He's no more than just a NPC, so I wonder why they added him anyway?

As for Watari...he's pretty useful in the Thomas' chapters, but it's really hard to recruit him with Thomas.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Cedric is no Stallion. Stallion acted as a messenger and rushed to Scarleticia to let us know about Teo's impending attack. Cedric can't really do that for us in S2. He can't run across the ocean from island to island, and we have a mobile HQ anyway, which we're never far from. And he's tiny. I can't see him picking anyone up like Stallion did when he rescued Sylvina (and Theresa in one of the Gaidens?)

Maybe they could have come up with a scenario where we need Cedric to steal keys or something from Kooluk soldiers, or to draw off some enemy rune cannon fire.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Cedric is no Stallion. Stallion acted as a messenger and rushed to Scarleticia to let us know about Teo's impending attack. Cedric can't really do that for us in S2. He can't run across the ocean from island to island, and we have a mobile HQ anyway, which we're never far from. And he's tiny. I can't see him picking anyone up like Stallion did when he rescued Sylvina (and Theresa in one of the Gaidens?)

Maybe they could have come up with a scenario where we need Cedric to steal keys or something from Kooluk soldiers, or to draw off some enemy rune cannon fire.
Tiny? I think he was described as a "big boy".
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

A big boy with no fighting ability, yeah great.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:A big boy with no fighting ability, yeah great.

In Tactics, he's pretty useful as a support Unit. But I wonder how he learned the "Vision" ability.
Rockland

Post by Rockland »

There are a lot of people, whose actions goes unnoticed. For some lesser prominent characters, we ( playability ) as the leader of an army, might not have a personal relationship or deep interactions with everyone of our recruits, but these recruits may have done many things behind the scenes that helped us all along the way.. be it making our bed or cooking us fish... relating gossips from far away lands.. you'll never know how much it impacted the final outcome of the battle. One truth though about Suikoden game is that there is the Tablet of Stars, signifying that its our destiny to unite, no matter what rank we are, its essential.