Game engines

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Ramvicious

Game engines

Post by Ramvicious »

What game engines did the series use? (I'm sure they used different engines for different games)
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Game engines

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

All I know is Suikoden IV uses the Silent Hill 3 engine.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Ramvicious

Post by Ramvicious »

The guys from the Suikoden Revival Movement told me that "They used Konami in-house graphics. Engine is not a good word, as neither of them used physics calculators, but rather just 3D models directly programmed into motion. SIV and SV did use motion capture for some of their animations." Just thought I would post this here if anyone else was curious.
Ramvicious

Post by Ramvicious »

Just an update because I was updated. Here is what Dan at Suikoden Revival Movement had to say about it.

"Actually, engine would in fact be an appropriate term here (Ryan, hit me up over Messenger if you’re interested in my nerdy info-dump on the lingo %uD83D%uDE1B). As far as we know, Suikoden V took advantage of a custom in-house engine. Suikoden III, on the other hand, utilized Criterion Software’s now-defunct engine known as RenderWare, which was used in a number of games during the PS2-era.

It should be noted that RenderWare wasn’t used again in Suikoden IV (nor V) so read into that what you will. Seeing as how the product is no longer supported, I’d strongly recommend against spelunking into it. Rather, I’d encourage you to look into Unreal or Unity, the latter of which being particularly popular for indie games, as well as prototyping."

If anyone was interested.